bench press bar weight

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1463
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:05 pm
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby dira necessitas » Tue May 27, 2008 5:01 pm

Awsome
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby 48highlander » Tue May 27, 2008 6:13 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
Jim Street wrote:I gained around 20 lbs in 2.5 months, time to hit the treadmill.


Sounds like me. I work in a place with crappy A/C, get free slurpees, and the tap water tastes like crap. I just started there two weeks ago and I can already feel myself getting fat. I gained like three pounds. :cuss:



Sounds like a personal self-control problem to me.

coolieo

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby coolieo » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:17 pm

The only fitness benchmark you need to meet at Depot is the PARE. All the other fitness benchmarks whether it be bench, sit-ups, or pull-ups are general guidelines for yourself to set goals to achieve. May I mention there is also driving tests at Depot.


Is this true, Caroline?

Jim Street
King Poobah
Posts: 2462
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby Jim Street » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:44 pm

No, he's lying just to mess with you.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

coolieo

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby coolieo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:15 pm

Jim Street wrote:No, he's lying just to mess with you.


Was that honesty, or sarcasm as I sense in most of your posts in this section.
Last edited by coolieo on Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim Street
King Poobah
Posts: 2462
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:25 pm
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby Jim Street » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:30 pm

It's one of the many services I offer.

I haven't been that sarcastic.















in this section
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

User avatar
sportyspice
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:44 pm
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby sportyspice » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:08 am

coolieo wrote:
The only fitness benchmark you need to meet at Depot is the PARE. All the other fitness benchmarks whether it be bench, sit-ups, or pull-ups are general guidelines for yourself to set goals to achieve. May I mention there is also driving tests at Depot.


Is this true, Caroline?



Yes, it's true. The only thing you will get sent home for from a fitness perspective is failing the PARE (which you will do three times at Depot - the first time being your third or fourth day there). The rest are just aspirational goals which you should try to achieve, but the main thing is for there to be improvement in your fitness level throughout your time there. I have an extremely fit friend who for the life of him could never do even one single chin-up while at Depot.

My husband actually got a very favorable comment on his "report card" at Depot for running the Coopers with a (much slower) troopmate, just so that he could give her encouragement to keep going. I guess that was more important than him hitting the time benchmark.
"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time."

User avatar
wannabeRCMP
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:48 am
Location: Newfoundland
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby wannabeRCMP » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:30 am

Jim Street wrote:It's one of the many services I offer.

I haven't been that sarcastic.

in this section


Personally I couldn't care less about the sarcasm but Jim, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, <<<PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE>>> change your avartar!!! I haven't been able to check this site at lunch break since you put that hyper-homo piece of best forgotten memorbilia up! :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
It's not how hard you hit, it's how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done.

User avatar
SD_SC1
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:57 pm

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:13 pm

sportyspice wrote:
My husband actually got a very favorable comment on his "report card" at Depot for running the Coopers with a (much slower) troopmate, just so that he could give her encouragement to keep going. I guess that was more important than him hitting the time benchmark.

It all goes back to teamwork.
Sed libera nos a malo.

User avatar
CourtOfficer
Site Admin
Posts: 6036
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:33 am

My husband actually got a very favorable comment on his "report card" at Depot for running the Coopers with a (much slower) troopmate, just so that he could give her encouragement to keep going. I guess that was more important than him hitting the time benchmark.


Let's hope she's a burly classmate with a brushcut and comfortable shoes. If not, let's hope the benchmark is all he's hitting.

Just kidding. I'm sure it's all about teamwork as SD said.

CO

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1463
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:05 pm
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby dira necessitas » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:14 pm

CourtOfficer wrote: If not, let's hope the benchmark is all he's hitting.



HAHAAHHAHA!
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

User avatar
TheSofaKing
Regular Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby TheSofaKing » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:17 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:
Let's hope she's a burly classmate with a brushcut and comfortable shoes. If not, let's hope the benchmark is all he's hitting.

CO


You sir, owe me a new keyboard. :bow:

bluefox
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 pm
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby bluefox » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:34 pm

I figure this is as good a thread as any for this question:

Does the bar count as any weight if you are using a stabilizer machine? I have been doing dumbell free weight presses, but have switched it up to bench presses, and usually do not have a spotter... just curious!

Thanks!

User avatar
CourtOfficer
Site Admin
Posts: 6036
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:38 pm

What you're referring to is a "Smith Machine". Each are different. Some of the best Smith machines are counterweighted to make the bar almost weigh nothing, basically floats on air. The number is not as important as knowing that you are being progressive in using more and more weight as your strength permits. So whether you don't count the bar or do, just ensure you're progressing.

CO

bluefox
Rookie Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:51 pm
Contact:

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby bluefox » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:12 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:What you're referring to is a "Smith Machine". Each are different. Some of the best Smith machines are counterweighted to make the bar almost weigh nothing, basically floats on air. The number is not as important as knowing that you are being progressive in using more and more weight as your strength permits. So whether you don't count the bar or do, just ensure you're progressing.

CO


Thanks... I have been adding 5lbs per side every week or two, which is tough, but doable... still, would like to try them "free" of the machine! Amazing how strong they make you feel, and I imagine, regular bench presses will use the core as well, to stabilize.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest