bench press bar weight

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Chris_53

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby Chris_53 » Fri May 09, 2008 6:02 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:Are you saying that despite the fact that it says the bench press benchmark for women is 75% of body weight, I don't have to be able to do that?

The only fitness benchmark you need to meet at Depot is the PARE. All the other fitness benchmarks whether it be bench, sit-ups, or pull-ups are general guidelines for yourself to set goals to achieve. May I mention there is also driving tests at Depot.

McFLY
Rookie Member

Postby McFLY » Thu May 22, 2008 4:29 am

Do a full rep

Nothing is worse then watching some guys load three plates up and their range of motion is 4 inches..

Also stay away from the "Smith" if your doing bench press

"Smith" = No stabilizers

Remember nipple area and bring the bar right down.

Whoever mentioned dumbbells before was right on the money.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Thu May 22, 2008 1:03 pm

Why the concern about the RCMP way, SD....applying to the Force?
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Thu May 22, 2008 6:48 pm

Sorry Gard, yes she's applying, lucky for you guys! The part where she started talking about her ambitions got moved to the applicants section on account of the reason that 1) this is Vitality 2) I choose not to give a flying fuck about people's ambitions when I go to this section.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Thu May 22, 2008 7:32 pm

McFLY wrote:Do a full rep

Nothing is worse then watching some guys load three plates up and their range of motion is 4 inches..

Also stay away from the "Smith" if your doing bench press

"Smith" = No stabilizers

Remember nipple area and bring the bar right down.

Whoever mentioned dumbbells before was right on the money.

There is a major debate about that among many exercise physiologists, some say bring the bar right down until its touchs your chest, others suggest about 1 inch above or until your upper arms are at parrellel with the ground. Personally I lean towards the inch above/upper arms at parrellel, 1)I workout alone and the lowest position I can set the safety bars in my squat cage leaves the me about an inch of room when the barbell is on them. 2) For certain body types (myself included), its very difficult to bring the bar right down to the chest without the back of triceps breaking parrallel, and thus increasing strain on the deltoids and rotator cuff. I try to keep my elbows pointed at my feet, which alleviates the strain on my shoulders, and allows me to bring the bar to that one inch, without my arms breaking parrellel.

McFLY
Rookie Member

Postby McFLY » Thu May 22, 2008 11:38 pm

Yea an inch above is still a good rep.

How long are your arms...?

Seems like those who have shorter arms might find it more strenious bringing the bar right down,
I have long arms, so I may be way off on that one..

For me bringing the bar down until it touches feels perfectly comfortable..

inf-
Rookie Member

Postby inf- » Fri May 23, 2008 1:13 am

I am too lazy to explain the mechanics of barbell benchpress. So as I have mentioned before, you have getter gains in muscle strengths (especially perfecting your stability) and form when you train with dumbbells. With dumbbell, it is also very good at building much stronger forarms and wrists. Good stuff :thumbsup:
RIP Chelsey Robinson. Forever my friend. My Tr mate.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Fri May 23, 2008 12:23 pm

Jim Street wrote:Sorry Gard, yes she's applying, lucky for you guys! The part where she started talking about her ambitions got moved to the applicants section on account of the reason that 1) this is Vitality 2) I choose not to give a flying fuck about people's ambitions when I go to this section.

I was wondering what happened. I though I had asked before. Lucky for us is right. Whenever we need the top chewed off something during a search we won't need to go looking for bolt-cutters anymore.

Carry on with your vitality and your abs and such.
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Mon May 26, 2008 11:02 pm

I gained around 20 lbs in 2.5 months, time to hit the treadmill.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

McFLY
Rookie Member

Postby McFLY » Tue May 27, 2008 4:06 am

Jim Street wrote:I gained around 20 lbs in 2.5 months, time to hit the treadmill.

Smells like roid gainage :mrgreen:

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue May 27, 2008 9:17 am

Well maybe slightly more than 2.5 months.....

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Tue May 27, 2008 9:43 am

Jim Street wrote:I gained around 20 lbs in 2.5 months, time to hit the treadmill.

Sounds like me. I work in a place with crappy A/C, get free slurpees, and the tap water tastes like crap. I just started there two weeks ago and I can already feel myself getting fat. I gained like three pounds. :cuss:
Sed libera nos a malo.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue May 27, 2008 11:14 am

yea but truth be told, I haven't actualy gained much fat.....it's mostly muscle I still see my abs.

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Tue May 27, 2008 3:45 pm

Jim Street wrote:Well maybe slightly more than 2.5 months.....

:rolllaugh: BUSTED.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Tue May 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Jim Street wrote:yea but truth be told, I haven't actualy gained much fat.....it's mostly muscle I still see my abs.

Yeah, mine didn't. Straight to my ass it went.
Sed libera nos a malo.