bench press bar weight

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
SD_SC1
Rookie Member

bench press bar weight

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed May 07, 2008 6:49 pm

Does anyone know how much the average bench press bar weighs? Not the skinny ones, but the ones that are wider on the ends. Also, do I count the bar's weight in the amount I'm lifting?
Sed libera nos a malo.

Kinger
Rookie Member

Re: bench press bar weight

Postby Kinger » Wed May 07, 2008 6:54 pm

I believe the standard olympic bar is 45lbs and yes I would count it in the amount that I am lifting.
I'm not really pissed off at anyone so I won't bad mouth them in my signature.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed May 07, 2008 6:56 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:Does anyone know how much the average bench press bar weighs? Not the skinny ones, but the ones that are wider on the ends. Also, do I count the bar's weight in the amount I'm lifting?

A Standard 7' Olympic Barbell weighs 45lbs, and yes you include the weight, you lifting it along with the plates are you not?

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:02 pm

48highlander wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:Does anyone know how much the average bench press bar weighs? Not the skinny ones, but the ones that are wider on the ends. Also, do I count the bar's weight in the amount I'm lifting?

A Standard 7' Olympic Barbell weighs 45lbs, and yes you include the weight, you lifting it along with the plates are you not?

Yeah...plates...I will be eventually. I just added bench pressing to my weight lifting regime. At this point I find it hard to imagine ever lifting 75% of my body weight.
Sed libera nos a malo.

km
Rookie Member

Postby km » Wed May 07, 2008 7:34 pm

My youngest daughter weighs more than 60 pounds...
I suppose at 11 years old she would have a tough time benching 45 pounds too.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed May 07, 2008 9:30 pm

km wrote:My youngest daughter weighs more than 60 pounds...

I'm probably not positioned under the bar properly, which would make lifting harder. For me to make the RCMP's benchmark for women, I'd have to bench press 143 lbs. I lost 24 lbs during the school year. Hopefully I can lose another 24 lbs.
Sed libera nos a malo.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Wed May 07, 2008 9:49 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:

I'm probably not positioned under the bar properly, which would make lifting harder. For me to make the RCMP's benchmark for women, I'd have to bench press 143 lbs. I lost 24 lbs during the school year. Hopefully I can lose another 24 lbs.

Does the RCMP uses free weights or a machine?

If you want to go up in stregnth relatively quickly follow a 5x5 program (hint google is your friend).

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:40 pm

48highlander wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:

Not a clue. I use the machine because I don't have a spotter.
Sed libera nos a malo.

dave357
Rookie Member

Postby dave357 » Thu May 08, 2008 3:32 pm

48highlander wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:

If you want to go up in stregnth relatively quickly follow a 5x5 program (hint google is your friend).

With my experience with weight lifting, the difference between free-weights and using a machine, is like running outside or on a tredmill. The machine will give you that little boost to "help" you out. I found the more I lifted with free weights, the quicker I gained more strength. Also, for proper bench press the major flaw in most people is the "broken wrist" technique. Always keep your wrists straight and form, never bend them. Have the bar sit in your general nipple area so it hovers over you and you have more control over it. By the way, lifting is completely mind over matter, just me mentally ready for it and you'll do much better. I can bench-press 150% of my weight because of that. Good luck with the RCMP :)

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu May 08, 2008 9:45 pm

dave357 wrote:By the way, lifting is completely mind over matter, just me mentally ready for it and you'll do much better. I can bench-press 150% of my weight because of that. Good luck with the RCMP :)

Men have more upper body strength than women.

Does anyone know what the RCMP means by max bench press 75% of body weight? Does that mean I only have to lift it once and that's it?
Sed libera nos a malo.

frostieAUX
Veteran Member

Postby frostieAUX » Thu May 08, 2008 11:03 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
dave357 wrote:By the way, lifting is completely mind over matter, just me mentally ready for it and you'll do much better. I can bench-press 150% of my weight because of that. Good luck with the RCMP :)

Does anyone know what the RCMP means by max bench press 75% of body weight? Does that mean I only have to lift it once and that's it?

Not sure which way depot goes but usually it is 1 clean rep.
1 rep max is sometimes measured by the heaviest weight lifted for 2 clean reps.
THERE'S A NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN....AND HIS NAME IS REGGIE HAMMOND!! (eddie murphy in 48hrs)

inf-
Rookie Member

Postby inf- » Fri May 09, 2008 2:01 pm

1 clearn rep. Thats it.

If you want to be good at benchpress(barbbell), then you should seriously consider learning/training with dumbbells. For example, there are guys who can benchpress 200lbs on the bar with ease but when you tell them to benchpress 200lbs with dumbbells (100lbs dbs on each hand), they cant even do more than 5. And also, working with dbs will give you the proper FORM, which is the most important thing to improving strength.

On a side note, to bench correctly (and to make sure the bar is not slanted to one side as most ppl do), you have to make sure your shoulder blades are TIGHTLY squeezed together so that they are resting on the bench, not hanging outside. YOUR LEGS, will be your friend because they can easily help you lift an extra 10% if you position them properly. Have your feet placed closer to the direction of your butt and you will create a slight arch on your lower back, which gives you more leverage. When you press the weight, tighten you abs and chest muscles as well as PUSH your feet down onto the floor. If you have a bad lower back though, then avoid doing this. Hope this helps.
RIP Chelsey Robinson. Forever my friend. My Tr mate.

Steve French

Postby Steve French » Fri May 09, 2008 2:52 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:

wow you must really want your name on a plaque outside the gym because that's the only reason why you'd need to bench 75% of your body weight for guys it's 150%

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Fri May 09, 2008 4:04 pm

Steve French wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:

wow you must really want your name on a plaque outside the gym because that's the only reason why you'd need to bench 75% of your body weight for guys it's 150%

Are you saying that despite the fact that it says the bench press benchmark for women is 75% of body weight, I don't have to be able to do that?
Sed libera nos a malo.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri May 09, 2008 4:07 pm

If you want to bench more, train the bench not your chest. Keep the reps in the 2-5 range. Do accesory work right after it such as narrow grip incline press, overhead presses and tricep extensions.

CO