Start Crossfit or continue going to the gym for the summer??

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Start Crossfit or continue going to the gym for the summer??

Postby SD_SC1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:58 pm

All throughout the school year I've been going to gym at school for weight lifting and cardio. Now the year is coming to an end and I need to do something during the summer.

Gym memberships are ridiculously expensive and require at least a one year membership and I do not like the muscle attitude that one often finds at an actual gym. However, it's something I'm familiar with.

Crossfit seems to be interesting and high intensity, and from my research, it's usually on a monthly basis. The only thing is I'm not familiar with it, and worry I may find it too difficult.

Anyone have any suggestions for which way I should go or some advice on starting Crossfit for the first time.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Mister E
Rookie Member

Re: Start Crossfit or continue going to the gym for the summer??

Postby Mister E » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:02 pm

SD_SC1 wrote: Anyone have any suggestions for which way I should go or some advice on starting Crossfit for the first time.

www.crossfit.com

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:34 pm

Usually gyms have student rates like 3 months for $99 or something similar. Look around.

CO

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:41 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Usually gyms have student rates like 3 months for $99 or something similar. Look around.

CO

And crossfit cost nothing to do at home :alright:

(at its most basic, if you want to you can buy stuff, or get creative and use house hold items).

metallicat
Rookie Member

Postby metallicat » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:16 pm

For crossfit workouts at home, I have a chin-up bar, and I recently bought a bench that has the capabilities for shoulders, squats..etc. I also bought a skipping rope. Pretty inexpensive stuff. Especially compared to what the local crossfit gyms want to charge per month.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:24 pm

metallicat wrote:For crossfit workouts at home, I have a chin-up bar, and I recently bought a bench that has the capabilities for shoulders, squats..etc. I also bought a skipping rope. Pretty inexpensive stuff. Especially compared to what the local crossfit gyms want to charge per month.

I think most gyms over charge period.

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:31 pm

Memberships to the Y are usually pretty reasonable.
:wave:

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:18 pm

48highlander wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:Usually gyms have student rates like 3 months for $99 or something similar. Look around.

CO

(at its most basic, if you want to you can buy stuff, or get creative and use house hold items).

It depends what you're after. If you want general physical fitness, then I'd endorse your "crossfit" training. If you want to get big, as most men do I think, you'd probably be better off with traditional training.

Also, some people are motivated by the "gym experience". Bumping shoulders with likeminded individuals in the gym setting can motivate you to push yourself.

CO

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:20 pm

48highlander wrote:
metallicat wrote:For crossfit workouts at home, I have a chin-up bar, and I recently bought a bench that has the capabilities for shoulders, squats..etc. I also bought a skipping rope. Pretty inexpensive stuff. Especially compared to what the local crossfit gyms want to charge per month.

I think most gyms over charge period.

Yeah, they are. At school I was only paying $60/semester. I'm gonna looking into summer rates at the U of S. They've got a pretty nice gym and I'm already familiar with it from when I was st student.
Sed libera nos a malo.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:27 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:
48highlander wrote:

CO

It depends what you're after. If you want general physical fitness, then I'd endorse your "crossfit" training. If you want to get big, as most men do I think, you'd probably be better off with traditional training.
Also, some people are motivated by the "gym experience". Bumping shoulders with likeminded individuals in the gym setting can motivate you to push yourself.

CO

Your thinking is starting to become dated, given the stratospherice rise of crossfit especially among the hundreds of MEN in
uniform across Canada and in the States. Hell even the bodybuilding mag Muscle and Fitness has a large article (9 pages I believe) on Crossfit, and from reading thier message board, the editors are trying to emphasize the "fitness" aspect of their name. People are starting to realize that being a pumped cartoonish muscle freak does not = being fit.

Also there are plenty of Crossfitters who are pretty muscled up (nothing says you can't add extra powerlifting sessions).

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:11 pm

Muscle and Fitness has always been a "soft" muscle magazine. No surprise there.

CO

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:18 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Muscle and Fitness has always been a "soft" muscle magazine. No surprise there.

CO

Well its more BB oriented then its sister pub Men's Fitness, and Rival Mens Health.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:45 pm

Here is the link to the M&F article I mentioned, its quite informative, and gives good insight into crossfit.

http://www.crossfitnorthatlanta.com/fil ... rticle.pdf