Crossfit Workouts

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Aberdee
Rookie Member

Re: Crossfit Workouts

Postby Aberdee » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:59 am

opp2 wrote:Fitness test, 20 year pin, 93% after a 2 month hiatus from wod.

Of course there is no excuse not to work out but there are plenty of reasons to get back at it... next up HIIT and Crossfit mashup

To all you cop haters out there FU

Nice job and very proud of you! I hope to do as well. I have been pushing myself.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:38 am

Good work Opp2!
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon May 25, 2015 9:02 am

I enjoy following the CF style of workouts, specifically the MetCons, because you can get a great workout in a short amount of time. CF brought kettlebells, olympic lifts, rowing and body weight (pull-ups, push-ups, etc) back into the fitness spotlight as amazing alternatives to going for jogs, weightlifting, and the other assorted "typical" workouts that were pretty much dominant everywhere for many years. It gave people, who may never have tried to swing a bell or deadlift, the encouragement and motivation to do so. Add in the group workout atmosphere and I think it probably helped many people get into shape because it allowed for modifications and wasn't aimed specifically at athletes or people who had been athletes.

My issues with CF are the "push til you puke" mentality, kipping pull-ups, the cost and Glassman himself. I understand the need to push hard on a workout and that many people don't push hard enough because it isn't easy and it hurts. But I have found that many CF gyms, maybe I've only been witness to the ones with poor coaches, create WODs that are so hard that they make someone hurt for days after and force people to do lifts after already taxing the muscle group to the point of exhaustion in the warmup. That, to me (and as someone who trained many years ago as a trainer and still remembers some of what I've learned) is dangerous and harmful. Don't get me wrong, there are many great trainers in CF who have great programming, but I find the rapid growth of the sport, have caused so many gyms and "coaches" to pop up everywhere to meet demand that the substance and quality isn't there. Yes, an effective workout should make you get sore a day or two after, but to hear that people can't workout for a week after a workout because their muscles are just that sore....that's not healthy. It's one thing to still be slightly tender in some spots, especially after performing an exercise that hits a muscle group in a completely different way, but to prevent one from being able to perform another workout 48 hours or more later.... :shame: I love to do AMRAPs or rounds for time, because it encourages me to get better, gives me a starting point to gauge my fitness level and a way to determine my progress, but I will never agree with the push til you puke mentality or even having a puke bucket present. No one should ever been encouraged to do that. I've pushed myself hard enough to feel like I was going to and I took a break. Puking isn't a sign of achievement, it's a sign that your body isn't well and one should heed that.

Kipping pull-ups....I don't care what anyone says, they are dangerous and harmful to shoulder joints. I don't care that by performing them you can get another round in. Not ever worth it. They should never been encouraged or allowed.

The cost. I understand that you get the benefit of working with a trainer, but 125-250/mth for gym fees? And to pay that for a gym where you have to follow their schedule to get a workout in? Maybe I'm cheap or don't see the advantages enough, but I'd rather stay at home, tweak workouts to match my equipment and be able to workout whenever I choose.

Glassman....I'm amused that the "creator" of a fitness program looks so unhealthy and out of shape. I saw him in person at the Regionals one year and couldn't believe my eyes. Maybe I'm naive, but I'd like to think the guy who was responsible for a fitness program would at least look like he followed the principles of the program to some degree. People neaRly fell over themselves to talk to him, while all I could do is shake my head. Seeing him in person proved more so that, for him, it's all about the money and nothing about ensuring quality and safety of a program.

CF style workouts have helped me get stronger, fitter and better my body. That I won't ever deny. I just think it's gone too far and the rapid growth due to marketing and publicity is creating too many unsafe gyms and trainers. I'd like to see it go back to its roots and become more focused on providing great, simple, safe, but highly effective workouts to people of any age and skills/fitness level. With Reebok being involved, I doubt that will happen.

I'll stick to my own WODs at home, continue with my boxing gym and using the boxing gym to push some weights (using equipment I don't have space for).
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon May 25, 2015 10:44 am

You've eloquently written my complains with crossfit. I try not to rag on it too hard, because my opinions are of someone who has never done it, yet I compete in a sport that is similar in many ways strongman.
K division.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon May 25, 2015 1:56 pm

To be fair, I've never joined a CF gym, I only follow certain gym and WOD sites to look for ideas to create my own workouts. I'm only going on what people have told me about their gyms and the programming. I might have a different opinion if I did join, but as I've said, I'm too frugal and, due to my schedule, wouldn't get the value out of a membership costing upwards of $100/mth.

I still like the true fundamentals of CF and still believe it's a great way to keep fit for everyday life and the challenges one may face in LE and all branches of front line emergency workers. The idea of creating and doing workouts that can give anyone a fantastic, challenging workout in a short time. The use of different equipment (kettle bells, Olympic weights, or one's body) to make every workout a little different and constantly make the body go "wtf?" is something that really helps a person improve and keep with a program. I love the idea that it has allowed people who, maybe before joining a CF gym, were once intimidated by a pull-up or a deadlift overcome that and rock those exercises that, at one time, they never would have attempted.

I just feel by making it a "sport" it's lost its "heart" and become a huge fad that has lessened the quality of the programming and opened it up to allow for less quality control on the people who are responsible for providing that programming. It worries me to see all those athletes with the tape on their shoulders, backs, legs and such and makes me wonder that, if in the interest of pushing limits farther to make it more "competitive", it is creating a huge amount of people who will be suffering from joint, muscle and bone issues way earlier in life than they should. I understand that tape is helpful, but I watch other competitive sports and have yet to see it be as prominent in those sports as it is CF.

As with everything, our society has taken something that was, in its early stages, a useful tool to better a person, mangled it all to hell by taking it to an extreme (for the purposes of more cash and more entertainment) and given it a bad name.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue May 26, 2015 10:18 pm

I found CrossFit intriguing... but the monthly membership costs were scary.

For less cost than a year membership - I put together a home gym:
-power rack (for safe squats/bench/shoulder press,dips/chinups),
-adjustable incline+decline bench,
-300+ lbs of bumper weights + olympic bar,
-adjustable dumbells,
-total gym cable machine + roman chair,
-yoga ball + mat + resistance bands,
-orange cones + timer,
-weight vest + 80lbs sandbag duffel, etc.

Conclusion: I prefer working out at home.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:45 pm

I figured I'd start posting in here again!

Yesterday:
Roy!
5 RFT:
15x 155# deadlift
20x 20" box jumps
25x pull ups
18:48

Today:
Ran 2.16mi - 18:40

For the last two years I've been battling achilles tendonosis pretty badly in my right foot. I just started running again after two years in May. I can't do jumping down box jumps, double unders, or some other movements for fear of tearing my tendon. I still manage to do all my CF and strength workouts just fine! Jogging lately hasn't brought on anything more than an ache eased by ice after my run and some stiffness releaved by stretching. I've really increased my stretching from basically none to 20 minutes before each workout and I find that is helping quite a bit.

As far as your views on crossfit Devilwoman I can see why you have that perspective. Not all boxes (gyms) and not all coaches are going to be the same or are going to be programming the same workouts. To program massive "chippers" that completely tax you out all the time is not good programming IMHO. You need those types of mentally and physically draining and grueling workouts every so often to help you develop. That is it though. It is like doing your 1 rep max everyday at the gym. It is stupid and a waste.
As far as kipping pullups....it is for time and speed and efficiency of movement to get better times during WODs. I can't kip. Never learned. I do strict pullups during WODs and I get absolutely smoked by others that have got the hang of kipping. Personally I think kipping has it's place in WODs for sure but you still need to work on strict pullups to get your strength in!

Anyways I am going to try to keep posting my workouts in here again each day. Strength I am back on the 5/3/1 program Monday and Friday, WOD's tuesday/thursday with some olympic lifting practice (right now snatches) after and Wednesday I do my jog.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:49 pm

devilwoman wrote:It worries me to see all those athletes with the tape on their shoulders, backs, legs and such and makes me wonder that, if in the interest of pushing limits farther to make it more "competitive", it is creating a huge amount of people who will be suffering from joint, muscle and bone issues way earlier in life than they should. I understand that tape is helpful, but I watch other competitive sports and have yet to see it be as prominent in those sports as it is CF.

I don't know about that. In CF it's tape in powerlifting it's leg wraps, bench press shirts, etc. I think you notice the tape more in CF because of the way the athletes are dressed but in general I think the injuries would be the same as high-level competition in any sport.
Keep in mind when you are watching the games these are the 1% of crossfit athletes we are watching. Not everyone is pushing themselves to the same limits as they are. They are the top of their game and willing to work through minor discomfort and pain to win just like any athlete whether it be hockey, baseball, or hailai.

I've been into CrossFit for several years now. I've yet to have a serious injury due to any WOD. If you do your movements properly and DO NOT use weight that is too heavy for what you are doing then you are going to be fine. That is the beauty of CrossFit though. When a WOD says 15x 225# deadlifts I think "well my 1RM is 360# so I'm not grabbing 10 rounds of 15 225# lifts without injury or without resting enough that it is useless to me as a WOD." So I drop it to 155# and I can go hard, safely, get the metabolic conditioning the WOD is designed for, and still be challenged. However if you are Rich Froning you can grab 225# deadlifts x15 for hours and not be injured or even break a sweat lol.

I know I'm not making 225# snatches anytime soon.

wilbertsasso
Sage Member

Postby wilbertsasso » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:35 pm

With any exercise it's all about scaling it to your abilities. Probably the biggest reason why anyone gets hurt doing Crossfit is because they are doing something their body is not accustomed to or something their body hasn't yet acclimated to.

I personally do find benefits of doing Crossfit style workouts to benefit me on the job. I personally don't ever look at the Crossfit website to see what their WOD is because it's usually ridiculous. I think that if you follow a linear progression strength program aiming to get your bench to 1x your bodyweight, squat to 2x your body weight, and deadlift to 2.5x your bodyweight coupled with some short metabolic conditioning you are going to be stronger and more fit than 99% of the people you encounter on the job (addicts etc).

I work out at home and find I get an amazing workout that is just as comparable to what I could get if I went to the local Crossfit gym.