quitting smoking

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
charbopa
Rookie Member

Re: quitting smoking

Postby charbopa » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:13 pm

mcdonaja wrote:Once I decided that "I" wanted to quit and not my wife, girlfriend, brother, mother, co-worker...it much easier than all those other times I quit for someone else.

I know what you mean! :banghead:
-------------------------------
'O' Division:
RPAT: Sept 11/09 Pass IRL

ASGPS Sheriff
Rookie Member

Postby ASGPS Sheriff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:26 pm

nubbsy wrote:Hey Sheriff hows the quitting going?

I got side tracked and havent yet! :x but I thinking at the end of the month I will try again.

tpspastin#9
Rookie Member

Postby tpspastin#9 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:29 am

So I went to the bodies exhibit at the T.O. Science Centre and saw a pair of smokers lungs...wow so not cool. Seriously what a stupid habit. Nothing but F-tards.

Hey everyone I'm going to Cuba and can't wait to get my hands on a local cigar!

:alright:

Kopparoo2b
Rookie Member

Postby Kopparoo2b » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:44 am

Just went to a place called Bodyworks last week w/kids. Real Bodies (donated from China I heard) and preserved. Showing all the veins and ligaments and everything else.

And we saw smokers lungs and "good" lungs.

Keep trying to quit people...........thats all I can say!

And best of luck as well.........it IS a very hard habit to break! :?
kopparoo2b

"Its not enough to just talk about it"

peteryorkuca
Rookie Member

Postby peteryorkuca » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:19 pm

I quit smoking in summer of 2005 after I started my own business and I had no money for my bad habit. Only smoked few sticks a day before then, had to munch off one or two a day from the neighbors. During year 1~2 of start of my business venture, it must have been most stressful because of amount of money that I had to invest to keep it alive. Plus constant long hours of working that probably made me forget about lighting one up. Plus all the neighbors probably stayed away from me, afraid their smoke would be snatched when they see me. Back of my mind though was this nagging of cost of smoke which also turned me off from purchasing a pack since 2005.

If the government haven't increase the cigerette taxes from $1 to like $5 a pack in 2004~5, I would probably kept on smoking. Add stress of money back then which helped too. I guess their money grabbing way worked for some people like me.

After 5 years, every time I walk by people who smoke, the smell really is a nastiest thing I experienced and sometimes makes me puke. Just few years back I would crave to light one up when I can smell someone smoking near by.

If you are wanting to quit now, find 2nd or 3rd medium with help of your will power to kick this aweful habit.

mcdonaja
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby mcdonaja » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:52 pm

You hit the nail on the head...I can't believe that I actually SMELLED like that. Holy crap, I can smell a smoker a mile away now and it really does make you want to chuck...and walking by the ashtrays at the entrances/exits to public buildings has got to be one of the most nauseating experiences of my life.
"Cops solve problems. Don't be a problem and you won't get solved."
Freedom Friday - Jan 06 2012 - 32 years 1 month

SHAMROCK
Veteran Member

Postby SHAMROCK » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 pm

mcdonaja wrote:You hit the nail on the head...I can't believe that I actually SMELLED like that. Holy crap, I can smell a smoker a mile away now and it really does make you want to chuck...and walking by the ashtrays at the entrances/exits to public buildings has got to be one of the most nauseating experiences of my life.

Me too. I was walking out of a mall th eother day and there was a guy standing by the door having a smoke. I just about lost my lunch from the smell. Then I remembered I used to smell like that :oops:

TPS
Rookie Member

Postby TPS » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:22 pm

mcdonaja wrote:You hit the nail on the head...I can't believe that I actually SMELLED like that. Holy crap, I can smell a smoker a mile away now and it really does make you want to chuck...and walking by the ashtrays at the entrances/exits to public buildings has got to be one of the most nauseating experiences of my life.

I started smoking when I was 9....(yeah I know awful, but believe it or not stores do sell it to kids that young). Anyways as soon as I realized I was pregnant I quit cold turkey and haven't started again. i still get those cravings, but it's crazy how gross smokers stink once you have quit.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."
Bertrand Russell
Carpe Diem Quam Minimum Credula Postero

nubbsy
Rookie Member
Location: Obstacles are the things you see when you lose sight of the goal.

Postby nubbsy » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:57 pm

ASGPS Sheriff wrote:

I got side tracked and havent yet! :x but I thinking at the end of the month I will try again.

You can do it Sheriff!
It's not why we fall that defines us, it's what we do when we get back up.
Career Presentation. 14-07-07
RPAB.14-07-08
Package. 14-08-12
RMAQ Phone interview. 14-10-09 passed
File at panel review.passed
PARE. 15-01-10
RMSI. 15-01-20

tpspastin#9
Rookie Member

Postby tpspastin#9 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:04 am

TPS wrote:

I started smoking when I was 9....(yeah I know awful, but believe it or not stores do sell it to kids that young). Anyways as soon as I realized I was pregnant I quit cold turkey and haven't started again. i still get those cravings, but it's crazy how gross smokers stink once you have quit.

9? Wow.

ASGPS Sheriff
Rookie Member

Postby ASGPS Sheriff » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:45 am

nubbsy wrote:
ASGPS Sheriff wrote:

You can do it Sheriff!

Thanks nubbsy! :D

Hope fully this time it works.

dataec
Poobah Overlord

Postby dataec » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:14 am

Sunday, January 10, 2010 - last smoke.....I hope.

Doing the "chilled poultry" approach.

I miss it. Especially doing the type of work I do........

FORGET about quitting smoking for the rest of your life! ....too much! ...too big an undertaking, start smaller.

My approach was/is: wake up in the morning and I want one. Say to self, you CAN have one....just wait until mid-morning coffee.

Mid-morning.....you CAN have one.....just wait until lunch, etc.

Hour by hour.

I also got a picture of a guy dying (about an hour or two before he actually passed away) with his wife and kid beside his bed crying, on my screensaver at work.

On the filing cabinet beside my desk I got a print out of the benefits that come from not smoking as time goes on.

As far as Champix, I never tried it. A co-worker of mine has. Swears by it. He didn't even want to quit and he did. No interest in smoking at all.

cshea
Rookie Member

Postby cshea » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Well, this is it for me. After many years of trying to quit and no succeding, this time I am ready to kick this habit for good. This time I feel that i really want to for me. Many times before it was not fully prepared or ready, but for some reason this time feels different. I am not enjoying smoking anymore, I am sick of the smell and all the other atributes that come with being a smoker.

Thumbs up to all those who have already quit and remained smoke free, you have accomplished a major feat.

:thumbsup:
A Div Ottawa
RPAT: 18 Apr 09
Results:14 May 09
Pare: 3:32
RMSI: 05 Nov 09
Poly: 27 Apr 10
BGI:
Med:
Dent:
MMPI:
Final PARE:
FR:
SC:
Troop

cshea
Rookie Member

Postby cshea » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:31 pm

opp2 wrote:
cshea wrote:Well, this is it for me. After many years of trying to quit and no succeding, this time I am ready to kick this habit for good. This time I feel that i really want to for me. Many times before it was not fully prepared or ready, but for some reason this time feels different. I am not enjoying smoking anymore, I am sick of the smell and all the other atributes that come with being a smoker.

Thumbs up to all those who have already quit and remained smoke free, you have accomplished a major feat.

:thumbsup:

Just keep moving. When you get a craving, get up and do 10-15 squats or pushups (if you can pull that off in your area). That should help you get beyond the craving, and give you a great butt and legs after a week or two.

Seriously~! Good luck.

LOL.. Thanks opp2. Good idea with the squats, might have to throw in some push ups to counter balance...lol
:drinking:
A Div Ottawa
RPAT: 18 Apr 09
Results:14 May 09
Pare: 3:32
RMSI: 05 Nov 09
Poly: 27 Apr 10
BGI:
Med:
Dent:
MMPI:
Final PARE: