quitting smoking

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
Cst. BigBossMan
Veteran Member

quitting smoking

Postby Cst. BigBossMan » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:54 pm

Hey all, been trying for years without much success.

anyone try things like nicorette?

I need to be able to maintain some patience at work so cold turkey was a poor choice!!!

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:41 pm

Isn't smoking similar to alcohol/drug addiction? when you quit, you will have a life time of fighting the urges?

I'm glad I never started smoking. It's one of those habits that is learned. I have never heard of anyone actually enjoying it when they first start. It's a learned behaviour and once you develope a liking to it, it's hard to drop.

Reese
Rookie Member

Postby Reese » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:03 pm

I used the patch. I successfully quit after one week on step 1.

The patch only works if you have the genuine desire and will power to quit. If you're really serious about quitting, give the patch a shot. From my experience, try to avoid some of the no-name brands as they're easy to tear off (which can lead to cheating!).

Opp2, I've also had the smoking dreams. I would dream that I'd light up a smoke and start to feel guilty for caving lol.

Good luck quitting!

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:49 am

Never smoked, although my folks did... It was one of the contributing factors to my Step Father's death, so that caused my Mother to quit "cold turkey"... She has not really gained any weight, or had any cravings at all.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

spudgun44
Rookie Member

Postby spudgun44 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:58 pm

I had a dream one night of my kids crying over my grave. Third person type of thing. Threw the smokes in the trash the next day. Easiest thing I've ever done. Wish getting this job was half the battle.

AnotherBeginning
Seasoned Member

Postby AnotherBeginning » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:20 pm

spudgun44 wrote:I had a dream one night of my kids crying over my grave. Third person type of thing. Threw the smokes in the trash the next day. Easiest thing I've ever done. Wish getting this job was half the battle.

Wow, thats certainly quite an incentive, good job.

spudgun44
Rookie Member

Postby spudgun44 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:32 pm

AnotherBeginning wrote:
spudgun44 wrote:I had a dream one night of my kids crying over my grave. Third person type of thing. Threw the smokes in the trash the next day. Easiest thing I've ever done. Wish getting this job was half the battle.

Wow, thats certainly quite an incentive, good job.
Thanks. But I think I messed up the 'wish getting this job' bit. Hope you all know what I mean.

Mister E
Rookie Member

Re: quitting smoking

Postby Mister E » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:35 pm

I don't know what your occupation is, but if you have a job where adrenaline is a factor I would use the patch with caution. I used it while on tour and when I would exert myself or be involved in something where my adrenaline would rise I would get really dizzy, lightheaded and puke. The Doctor told me to start smoking again and find a new method of quitting. Because your heart is pumping faster the nicotine is pushed through your system quickly. It doesn't happen to everyone.

plorentz
Grand Poobah

Postby plorentz » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:17 am

I used to smoke a bout a pack a day. As of Jan 18/07 I quit. Have been smoke free since. I did'nt use a patch or gun or anything. Mind you since then I did put on about 10 lbs cuz all i do is eat eat and eat.

Hell of a hard time for the first week and a bit but now its alright. Still have my urges but alot less!
Stupid people = Job Security

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:30 am

My dad tried everything from patches to those electrodes you put in your ears. He had the most success by quitting cold turkey and just chewing regular gum instead.

Gard
King Poobah

Postby Gard » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:46 am

I don't know why you folks are trying to quit. Smoking is the best thing for weight control, after crystal meth. And it makes you look so dangerous and glamourous.

Everybody....light up!
He who allows oppression, shares the crime.
26 + 6 = 1

Lavics79
Rookie Member

Postby Lavics79 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:16 pm

Smoking and trying to quit. Although I smoke approx 6 cigarettes a day, I still feel like shit. A women here at work smoked for 40 years and never tried to stop and went for that laser session. Its been 1 month and no cravings. Probably thinking on trying it.

aka
Rookie Member

Postby aka » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:04 pm

plorentz wrote:I used to smoke a bout a pack a day. As of Jan 18/07 I quit. Have been smoke free since. I did'nt use a patch or gun or anything. Mind you since then I did put on about 10 lbs cuz all i do is eat eat and eat.

Hell of a hard time for the first week and a bit but now its alright. Still have my urges but alot less!

Good for you! Keep it up :thumbsup: