Too tired after squats

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

Too tired after squats

Postby J-Slo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:10 am

Just looking for some pointers when doing heavy squats. I started doing them again a few months ago and have worked up to as much as 455lbs so far but usaually don't go above 405lbs for a couple sets of 6 to 10 reps. I usually do about 6 or 7 sets in total of squats including two warm up sets. Problem is I get way too tired and can't do much after. Usually 3 sets on the leg extention machine and maybe 3 sets on the hamstring curl machine then I'm exhausted and can't do any more.

I've tried eating an hour before I work legs, eatining peanuts in between sets, thick protein shake to drink in between sets. Any other ideas? Maybe a specific food to eat before?

I don't want to quit doing squats because since I've been doing them I've gotten stronger in every other lift. I'm going to start alternating leg days between squats and leg presses soon so hopefully I will be able to do more exercises on leg press days. Do heavy squats work enough of the leg muscle groups to not have to worry too much about doing more exercises for legs on those days?

Maybe squat days are just gonna have to be shorter workouts but if someone has a suggestion I'd love to hear it. Thanks.
It takes two to lie...one to lie and one to listen.
J-Slo

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:15 am

Maybe just do squats and stiff legged deadlifts for a while until your endurance is built up a bit more and then slowly add some auxiliary exercises. Squats are obviously very demanding but very anabolic for the whole body. So, forsaking your few sets of leg extensions is definitely preferable to dialing back on your squats.

CO
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby J-Slo » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:16 am

Ya thats a good idea. I was thinking about starting stiff legged deads with back....but they do hamstrings more than back don't they?
It takes two to lie...one to lie and one to listen.
J-Slo

Postby BruteForce » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:25 am

Another area you may not have put much thought into strengthing would be the abdominals and obliques as well as lower back because they are just as important in the squat as the Hams and Quads. Make sure you take it slow and don't go further than you hams being parellel to the floor. Also try putting a few 5kg plates under your heels this helps me due to the fact that I have poor calf and ankle flexation.
BruteForce
Veteran Member

Postby Duke » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:35 am

I think its a bad idea to eat anything between sets, including drinking protein shakes. It takes energy to digest food, and it takes time for the energy to be released into your body. I'd drink something that'll give you energy quicker, like Poweraide, or those carb boost drinks. I've tried energy drinks like Red Bull and and Full Throttle. They work for a couple of minutes before they run out and you crash, and gets expensive.
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Duke
Grand Poobah

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:33 am

J-Slo - stiff-legged deadlifts work both the erectors, upper back to a degree and the hammies. Done on leg days after squats, I think you'll be really happy with the way they bring out your hams.

Duke - There is a very current theory about the consumption of protein DURING a workout. I read a book that really pushed it called (I think) Nutrient Timing. I couldn't stand the thought of it. I think it'd make me sick sucking down some thick shake while trying to go hard in the gym.

CO
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby frostieAUX » Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:22 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:J-Slo - stiff-legged deadlifts work both the erectors, upper back to a degree and the hammies. Done on leg days after squats, I think you'll be really happy with the way they bring out your hams.

Duke - There is a very current theory about the consumption of protein DURING a workout. I read a book that really pushed it called (I think) Nutrient Timing. I couldn't stand the thought of it. I think it'd make me sick sucking down some thick shake while trying to go hard in the gym.

CO

:jump: YOU SAID ERECTORS!!! :jump:

Sorry..i am bored.. :oops:
THERE'S A NEW SHERIFF IN TOWN....AND HIS NAME IS REGGIE HAMMOND!! (eddie murphy in 48hrs)
frostieAUX
Grand Poobah

Postby Duke » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:26 pm

CO, I tried shakes while working out for a while too. I even mixed it with PowerAide. But I always felt less energetic, and a little jelly in the belly. Now I have carbs 1.5-2 hours before working out, PowreAide or water during the workout, and then protein after the work out. Works for me.
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
Duke
Grand Poobah

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:16 pm

Don't forget carbs immediately after the workout as well to replenish glycogen. I always try for a protein and carb meal within the 45 minute post workout window.

CO
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby MR MAYHEM » Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:10 pm

Try begining your workouts with your leg extensions first, then go into the squats. This is an excellent way to warm up, and you should still be able to do hams after.
For more energy you may want to try a pre work out NO2 product. There a few that are excellent:
NO-XPLODE, by BSN
HIGH VOLTAGE, by MVP Nutrition
M-5, by CELLUCOR
SUPER CHARGE, by Labrada

If you are looking for something to supplement your recovery during a work out then you may want to try a product that just came out recently.

It is called "REVIVE Recovery X-agent" made by MVP Nutrition. It is a complex amino acid drink that super hydrates your muscles for fast recovery. I drink it immediatly following a work out, but you can sip it during your training session if it is long and intense.

(links to products delete per advertising rules. Please refrain from posting links to products here, and read the advertising rules posted here http://forum.blueline.ca/viewtopic.php?t=3428 Thanks opp2)
MR MAYHEM
Rookie Member

Postby tooscoops » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:44 am

Make sure you take it slow and don't go further than you hams being parellel to the floor.

The knee is most unstable and susceptible to serious injury anywhere in the 90 degree range. You will plateau quickly, think of how much muscle surrounds your knee (minimal), and thats where your explosive extension comes from?? too much demand for such a delicate joint. Don't do this parallel stuff if you go heavy.

Be above or below parallel, and something else you can try is going lighter and going ass to grass full range...lose the extensions, and the leg press and get your deadlift involved (sumo, regular, stiff legged). what about lunges and step-ups, or throw in hack squats for quad focus?

Not a fan of protein during a workout...bleh...but huge fan of a 2-1 mix before and after.
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights. ~Muhammad Ali~

http://www.copshopcanada.ca/
tooscoops
Grand Poobah

Return to Vitality