CBSA air-mode Officers armed but not carrying

Post your suggestions to the editor for possible stories you would like to see in an upcoming issue Blue Line Magazine.
Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: CBSA air-mode Officers armed but not carrying

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:50 pm

Thank you Jonny, very informative!

I'm not sure that the regulations and legislation are the problem, it's the way they have chosen to interpret them. Of course it isn't only CBSA who makes the decision, plenty of other agencies, plus the feds that need to be on board with it.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Bill C-23 received royal assent on Tuesday.

With C-23 passed into law, Canada now needs to enact regulations on the new preclearance regime before the agreement is fully ratified, and then the airports will have to sign cost recovery and operational agreements with the U.S. border agency. It will likely take at least a year for this to happen.
http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/c ... uebec-city

If CBSA intends to arm BSOs at the airports we should be hearing something about it in the not too distant future. An initiative that is this big will take time and cannot be kept quiet for long.

Although the circumstances that may end up motivating this are disappointing, this is long overdue and I hope it happens. You take a win no matter how ugly it is.

On the other hand, nothing may happen at all which would be a disgrace of the highest order.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:25 am

It was my understanding that the reason CBSA Officers were not armed was because of pre-clearance. If CBSA Officers enforcing customs & immigration were not armed as the travellers were "pre-cleared" by security that US CBP could not make the argument for such.

Apparently the thought of having armed American CBP Officers was unsavory for the Canadian public and the government. Although, most of Canadian public seems to the think that the pre-clearance facilities are "American soil"; which they are not.

That was my understand, but I could be totally wrong.

Like most of the decisions at CBSA , it is shortsighted, and lacking in any cogent reasoning.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage