CBSA air-mode Officers armed but not carrying

Post your suggestions to the editor for possible stories you would like to see in an upcoming issue Blue Line Magazine.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: CBSA air-mode Officers armed but not carrying

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:02 pm

Not to mention the cost of replacing pistols every three years. In every other agency, pistols are designed to last the career of the officer.

Heck, even in Pete's time, the revolver they first gave him during the march west was still good for as long as he could still get gunpowder, balls and percussion caps.

Isn't it funny how Pete and I are the only two forum members who actually have their actual pictures under our names?

melom
Seasoned Member

Postby melom » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:05 pm

SPARTAN wrote:They also send people from northern bc or Yukon to rigaud or summerside.

I work 45 minutes from the range in Chilliwack and my coworkers are regularly sent across the country for recerts, quite a few have gone to rigaud or pei for DFC too.

mc7719
Veteran Member

Postby mc7719 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:34 am

Dave Brown wrote:Not to mention the cost of replacing pistols every three years. In every other agency, pistols are designed to last the career of the officer.

Hold on wait a sec, what do you mean REPLACE every three years?! Like new pistols?!
CSC

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:46 am

mc7719 wrote:Hold on wait a sec, what do you mean REPLACE every three years?! Like new pistols?!

That or factory refurbished ones. CBSA has no Beretta armourers so we can not do repairs. They just get sent back to Beretta and we get sent a new or refurbished pistol.

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:55 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
mc7719 wrote:Hold on wait a sec, what do you mean REPLACE every three years?! Like new pistols?!

That or factory refurbished ones. CBSA has no Beretta armourers so we can not do repairs. They just get sent back to Beretta and we get sent a new or refurbished pistol.

Ouch, pistols are replaced before vehicles.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

portcullisguy
Grand Poobah

Postby portcullisguy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:27 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Not to mention the cost of replacing pistols every three years. In every other agency, pistols are designed to last the career of the officer.

Heck, even in Pete's time, the revolver they first gave him during the march west was still good for as long as he could still get gunpowder, balls and percussion caps.

Isn't it funny how Pete and I are the only two forum members who actually have their actual pictures under our names?

Shockingly they seem to have stopped replacing the pistols after 3 years, Dave.

I had to send my originally issued PX4 in for repairs just before the my 3 year recertification, and was issued a spare. At my 3 year, I used yet another pistol (a story for another day). Not long afterwards, my original pistol was back and I gave back the spare.
portcullisguy
"You work your side of the street, I'll work mine."

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:07 pm

I can not remember the fire-side stories from the REALLY old members as to when D766405 and its partners were first issued to the members, but there were certainly several of those 6-shooters that were replaced in my time due to stress fractures from age.
I believe I have mentioned here before, but there were some of the old coots I worked with that had wadcutter ammo that had gone green from sitting in their loving leather loops, protected by the double-flap with single snap, which was further covered by a single flap with double studs, all sitting atop the handcuff pouch on the left side (Why not say opposite side, you ask? The holsters were only right-hand draw, fools - none of that wrong-handed holstering you young whipper-snappers keep whining about!) of the only Sam Browne you were to wear for both operational AND Review Order dress.

Dave Brown wrote:Isn't it funny how Pete and I are the only two forum members who actually have their actual pictures under our names?

"I don't always post dumb crap on here, but when I do, I lie about my looks and how many women I hang around with that my wife has no fear about, since THOSE women would kick me to the curb in a heart-beat!"

I always got your 6, DB!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:47 am

In 30 years with the RCMP, my dad would only admit to having his gun out of the holster twice.

Once while climbing a fence to chase a suspect, and once when he had to draw on a man with a gun sneaking through the F.W. Woolworth store in Portage la Prairie in the late 1940s.

On the first occasion, he never even noticed his gun was missing until after he caught the guy. (He went back two hours later, and found the gun right where it fell out onto the ground. He never told his Sergeant.)

On the second occasion, he saw a man in the dark at the end of an aisle with a gun in his hand. Thankfully, he too already had his gun out. The two of them both raised their guns at the same time and my dad honestly thought he was about to die. He had about 16 of the 18 pounds of trigger force taken up when he began to realize something was wrong.

That was the night he ALMOST put a .45 Colt round into a full-length mirror in the F.W. Woolworth store in Portage la Prairie. He never told his Sergeant.

I think there was another time, but that was a shotgun and it was while he was arresting the heavily-armed Ken Leishman gang at a roadblock just outside Portage La Prairie in the early 1960s. They had just broken out of jail near Winnipeg and stolen a bunch of guns. Thankfully, no shots were fired but it must have been unnerving for my mom to see dad run into the house in the middle of the night and breathlessly yell, "Angie, where's my shotgun!" I think she told him that it was right where he left it, in the back of the kid's closet. (Life was different at that time.)

Interestingly enough, Ken Leishman and his partner went east while the rest of the gang went west - only to be captured by my dad less than 60 miles away. Leishman stole an airplane from Steinbach and, teaching himself how to fly as they went along, made it as far as Gary Indiana. He went down in history as the "flying bandit."

Forty years later, my dad's oldest son - yur humble servant right here - was handling the guns for a documentary on Ken Leishman and got to play a role on screen as the police detective who got into a shootout with Leishman himself during the arrest. I actually didn't know at the time that my dad had arrested the real Leishman gang until my mom told me the story years later.

So what does this have to do with CBSA, beside a couple of old coots reminiscing? Well, CBSA is still in the growing stages as an armed agency, and they have a long way to go. The guns may not be the best on the market, but they will always go bang when you need them the most, and they don't fall out of the holsters any more.

Now if we could just figure out a way that trained, professional officers get to actually carry the tools of their profession!

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:52 am

Love the stories!
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:05 pm

ryan.p wrote:Ouch, pistols are replaced before vehicles.

It's gotta be something to do with their contract/procurement process... It can't be because these pistols only last three years.

I mean c'mon... I seriously doubt CBSA officers put enough rounds through their weapons to wear them out.
Unless of course that PX 4 is particularly craptastic

I've got a Beretta 92 bought in 1986 with literally thousands of rounds through it. There have been times when I've fired 400 rounds in one day through it.
I have yet to have a breakage.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Burick
Veteran Member

Postby Burick » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:33 pm

///

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:53 pm

Bitterman wrote:Unless of course that PX 4 is particularly craptastic

It is.

Mine will never be replaced as it sits in lockup all the time but others need to be replaced frequently.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:48 am

Came through Pearson this past week, saw a couple CBSA with firearms. I assume they are finally allowing this?

Last time I was there, to pick up a party on a warrant, they weren't armed.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Jonny Utah
Sage Member

Postby Jonny Utah » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:47 pm

You likely saw some officers from the enforcement division. If you are working "airside" you are armed. With that said there is some allowance for those officers to enter the airport for limited periods to conduct other duties before returning outside.

Ziggy, where did you get this 2 years thing? It's been 2 years for 10 years.
Our agency is terrified of being fully armed. This is for 2 reasons. All the upper management who are basically civilians and have never worked real law enforcement.....they would be more useless than they are now. Second is that bill C23 permits US CBP officers to carry firearms on Canadian soil "where CBSA officers are regularily armed". Translation , the govt falls of their collective chairs thinking about hundreds of armed American officers in the airports.

This topic has been hashed to death on here and I know many are sick of it. I get it. But we could use some coverage to help us along. There is just to much happening in the world these days that eventually it won't end up in our airports. I don't want someone to have to be killed before change happens.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:02 pm

With that said there is some allowance for those officers to enter the airport for limited periods to conduct other duties before returning outside.

CBSA equivalent of a hall pass?
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."