cleaning butter off gortex

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Toonces
King Poobah

Re: cleaning butter off gortex

Postby Toonces » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 am

opp2 wrote:Ok, so I just got my new gortex jacket to go with my new X-26. I wore it last night because, well it was raining. I go to the TH and order a bagel this am. I'm in the drive thru(first bad move). Then I order a bagel toasted with butter (second bad move). I pay and move on. I open the bagel and take a bite. Even before I get a bite, I feel warm liquid on my hand, down my arm. Sure enough, the bagel is swimming in butter. Worse yet, what aint swimming in butter is shedding it all over my new coat, my pants, my hands...boy was I steamed :rage: . I have spoken to the 16 year old about how much butter you actually put on a bagel. He made me a new one and offered to dry clean my coat. I take the second bagel out to the car, open it without driving this time...sure 'nuf...this one aint swimming, but it is in the butter wading pool...WTF? So off I go back into the store. This time I'm not quite so nice (and that isn't good cause I wasn't really nice the first time :shock: )

Anyway, the moral or question is..anyone know how to get butter out of gortex without using warm water. The wash instructions are cold water only. Anyone ever washed their gortex and tumbled it dry?

Should've given the X-26 a test run on this 16-yr old!

Seriously, I have a civvy Gore-Tex ski coat, have washed it cold, and then tumble-dry by itself on low. I don't think cold water will cut it with butter stains though!

Any chance of contacting the manufacturer?

By the way, your experience is exactly why I will not order bagels from Timmy's anymore. It's nice that they're generous with the bagel spread, but how do they expect you to eat it?!

Good luck.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

Gerg
Rookie Member

Postby Gerg » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:55 am

I dont have a definative answer, but I came across this on the web.

Gortex Care: Wash it lots, Dry it with Heat. It goes on to state: "The importance of keeping your Gortex clothing clean cannot be overstated. Dirt is the enemy to be removed. (Dirt promotes absorption of water droplets through the barrier in the "wrong" direction). Wash your garments frequently using a powdered detergent, following the care instructions on the sewn in label. A second rinse cycle ensures removal of detergent residue. Do not drip-dry! High heat in the drier and even a light ironing help reactivate the fabrics surface water repellency."

Maybe give this a try, and if that does not work, conatct the manufacturer (as stated above.)

I hate Tim Hortons for that exact reason. I once ordered a bagel with herb and garlic cream cheese (drive-through.) I opened it up to find a bagel with a good inch or so of both regular cream cheese and herb and garlic........that bagel went to the birds!!
Failure; Sometimes the meaning of life is to serve as a warning for others......

flying_scotsman
Rookie Member

Postby flying_scotsman » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:50 am

From the care tags on my civvie Gore-Tex jacket:

Machine wash warm, separately
Rinse thoroughly
Do not use bleach or fabric softener
Tumble dry warm
Steam iron

If professionally dry cleaned, clear distilled solvent must be used.

there is also reference to a Gore-Tex website.

warden602
Grand Poobah

Postby warden602 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:39 pm

I've removed all matter of food grease from my gore-tex with a wet cloth and then just let it dry.

But yeah, you can machine wash your gore-tex and then tumble-dry. It's what you're supposed to do to re-activate the membrane once water doesn't bead on it anymore, so there's no harm in doing it. Just follow the label washing directions.

Rookie Member

Butter and Gore-tex

Postby #10418 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:55 pm

Try using a pre-wash (Shout or Spray and Wash) treatment, or dish soap on the butter and then wash as instructed.

If your jacket has the 3-M reflective material dry-cleaning chemicals may turn the reflective strip rusty brown.

pukie
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby pukie » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:57 pm

I used to have a gortex jacket in the military. After coming off a field ex, I just put it in the washer with cold water and tumble dried.

Didn't seem to hurt it.

Recon
Rookie Member

yo

Postby Recon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:16 pm

A friend of mine works for North face Canada. He tells me that heat is actually good for gore tex, as it helps open the porous materiels and makes it breathable again. I always iron my bivy bag when I wash it, and it seems to help, Mind you I don't eat buttery bagels off the thing! I usually use plates for those types of things!
Why walk when you can ride!

duncanmax

Postby duncanmax » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:46 pm

I've washed my RCMP issue, my non-RCMP issue and various civie jackets several times in a mix of hot/cold cycles without any problems.

The only suggestion is that as you wash repeatedly you lose the DWR (Durable Water Repelency) treatment, which is what makes the water "bead" on the surface. If you find it is gone after you wash, you can pick some new stuff up.

Conveniently the stuff I use is called "Tx-direct wash-in", applied by washing your coat and adding this stuff as per the instructions. You can also by a spray bottle version, but I find the wash-in works better.

Now, bear in mind that getting that damn butter out is the first order of business, and how you do that? I'd just wash it like anything else. Gore-tex is NOT as sensitive as some might have you believe!!

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:02 pm

This must be a SOP at all Tim's!

I get the same thing everywhere I go, too much butter / cream cheese, maybe an email to customer service is in order...

I actually complained to Tim's HQ (after mentioning it to store staff a few times) with regards to a continually dirty washroom (QEW / Victoria Ave), and within a month the problem was resolved! ;)
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Orange

Postby Orange » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:57 am

opp2 wrote:Thanks all. I read the care instructions and they read wash in cold water (no butter coming out there) and tumble dry low. However the insert that came with it said wash in warm water with powder detergent and tumble dry low, low iron.

Does the colour fade when washed? That's what peeved me the most. you know most of the time when you wash something black or midnight navy, it is going to be dark grey or navy when you're done with it, and I've worn this coat a grand total 10 hours when this happened....

AAHHHH!!!!! :banghead:

Goretex is about the toughest material out there. I've had beer, vomit, automobile grease, etc on mine. Warm wash, lots of soap. Run it through again without any to get the excess out.

Run it into the dryer, for about 20 mins. Once its done, remove it immediately so the jacket doesn't melt on any hot elements.

rodtulett
Rookie Member

Postby rodtulett » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:16 pm

It's tacky but it has to be said...stick with the tradition cop food -->donuts, maybe a muffin, they don't drip on you (unless they're cream filled).
I have had goretex stuff for years, the best advice is wash it lots and dry it hot as it says on the gore website, it doesn't seem to affect the face fabric and actually helps it. Use on mild detergent though, otherwise it has a tendancy to "plug up" the little pores in the goretex memberane.
Water Cop

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:36 pm

Orange wrote:I've had beer, vomit, automobile grease, etc on mine.

Did you throw up on yourself and pass out in the middle of the road after a big beer binge and get run over by a car?

HAHAHA...sorry...couldn't resist!
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:15 pm

To prevent fading of the coat I use the Zero Black/dark clothes fabric wash. It works wonders. I have my uniform coat for years and it hasn't faded one bit and still resists wind and water quite well.

I've had the same issue with Tim Horton's. I always ask for a wee bit of butter and they always seem to coat, pardon the pun, the damn thing! :banghead: There have been so many times that butter has ended up on my coat, usually after I just wash the thing!!! :cuss: The Zero fabric wash seems to do the trick.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."