Sweating sucks!

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Targetshot

Sweating sucks!

Postby Targetshot » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:51 pm

Folks,

help me out here. Being from northren ontario (thats NORTH, not north of T.O. like Barrie) and now sweating it out in T.O. i have to swim out of my uniform after every shift. i bought the Under Armor and it help draw the sweat away from my skin, but they (TPS AUX.) put a stop to it because it was a white T-shirt and screw that if im dropping the cash for another one.

what are the trade secrets here people? Vest on top of the shirt?? Vest iunderneath the shirt?? some kind of freaky deaky cooling system that conects to a battery pack you wear on the belt?

aarrrrg! help me please....im melting.....MELLLLLLTING!

(im a dork :P )

TS
Listen bud, I dont know what your problem is, but i"m sure its hard to spell.

HEY! AWESOME! i get to wait ......AGAIN!

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:04 pm

What, no A/C in Toronto Cruisers?? :)

How about stuffing some ice packs inside your vest?? 8)

Or maybe we can go to Jane Street Garage, a mechanic there owes me a favour, maybe he can charge you up with some Freon... he would need to seal up all your openings though! :shock:

When I did Security, I was always close by A/C (either the car or the building I was patrolling)...

Hope you get some better responses than this!

Chewie
Veteran Member

Postby Chewie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:21 pm

In the summer, I wear mine in an outer carrier. It's still hot and uncomfortable, but I've learned to deal with it. I'm from Northern Ontario also, and I have never become accustomed to the humidity down here.
Don't do what Donny Don't does.

Starsky

Postby Starsky » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:41 pm

:aye:
Timmins boy here in Montreal and having a rough go with the humidity. I think the second day of high humidity this summer I was at Sears buying an AC for the apartment :D Needless to say I spend as much time in the car or the office as I can.

Shaun

Targetshot

Postby Targetshot » Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:54 am

Respond Wayne wrote:What, no A/C in Toronto Cruisers?? :)

Hope you get some better responses than this!

Ha! the cruisers YES. but im a lowly AUX. I'd be lucky to get a detail with a cruiser. mostly our patrols are on foot, up and down yonge st. during the day.......boo-urns!

and yeah, i was hoping for better answers! ahahah

Chewie- you on with TPS? becuase if i am understanding this right, the "outter carrier" is jus tthe blue vest that the bulletproof material sits in.

two pockets on the front with the police sign in the right hand side????

this is all they gave us, so if there is something else out there that i can use and get away with... hook me up! hahaha

thanks!
TS

TackleberryG22

Postby TackleberryG22 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:07 am

Target, those funky shirts only work so much anyways.

If you have the option of the external carrier it is the way to go for summer. Undo for frequent "venting" .

Past experience for me with internal carrier, very wet and cause of severe ackney on body. Just be sure to wear a cotton t-shirt under uniform, and consume plenty of fluids.

Good Luck!
"Heros In Life, Not Death" Ontario's Police Officer Memorial

"Friendly Fire, Isn't"
"Incoming Fire Has The Right-of-way."
"Do Something, ...It Maybe Wrong, But Do Something" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Canadian Blue
King Poobah

Postby Canadian Blue » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:03 am

I've been having alot of sweating problems, but its not in the armpits, it's what I use when I'm sitting on chairs ;) ;) ;)

Chewie
Veteran Member

Postby Chewie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:13 am

TS - Nope, not with TPS, and no desire to apply to a police service. Also, I didn't initially realize that you weren't referring to an actual vest. I have no experience with those.

I wear mine in the outer carrier for the same reason as Tackleberry -- I can loosen it a bit when necessary to let some air circulate. I know of some cops that always wear internal, because they don't trust themselves to remember to do it up again when they leave their cars, etc.
Don't do what Donny Don't does.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:16 pm

I'm going the opposite direction on this one, boys. I find an interior carrier worn over a t-shirt cooler than the outer carrier which doesn't breath at all. That and stay in the car when it's hot!

CO

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:05 am

Hey 7901, you don't happen to have a K-9 ride along do you? :ponder:

I know some nights can be pretty lonely, especially out in D-11. :P

(X-Igarde 7060)

Mister E
Rookie Member

Postby Mister E » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:15 am

Try PACA "Armor Ice", It's an insert for your vest and it keeps you cool for a solid couple of hours. I don't know how expensive it is, but it works really well. It's a dry cooling system so you won't get soaked.

Targetshot

Postby Targetshot » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:45 am

Mister E wrote:Try PACA "Armor Ice", It's an insert for your vest and it keeps you cool for a solid couple of hours. I don't know how expensive it is, but it works really well. It's a dry cooling system so you won't get soaked.

sweet deal, finally an answer im not laughing and shaking my head at!

TS

Buck911
Rookie Member

Postby Buck911 » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:17 am

Unless you're wearing PACA amor, which I highly doubt, that system would probably not be compatible with your carriers... wouldn't fit. Also adding an extra cooling panel to your entire armour system could very possibly void any warranty, and certification your armour may have.

Be careful when adding something to your vest that doesn't come from the original manufacturer, including carriers, cooling packs etc.....

You may sweat, but it's a hell of alot better than sweating bullets.
Your life IS my business

Duke
Rookie Member

Postby Duke » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:10 pm

Is it for mere professionalism or is there another reason why officers aren't allowed to wear shorts? Aside from bike patrol obviously.
"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."