Cutting/shortening nylon duty belt

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
alimartin
Rookie Member

Cutting/shortening nylon duty belt

Postby alimartin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:49 pm

I've got a 2" nylon duty belt I like besides the excess length. It's folded over enough on either side of the buckle that my Velcro inner nor keepers will work on the front 1/3-1/2 of the belt.

Any suggestions/experiences on appropriate method to cut/shorten it?

BB613
Rookie Member

Re: Cutting/shortening nylon duty belt

Postby BB613 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:57 am

I would bring it in to a tailor or order a new one.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:34 pm

They're a PITA to cut...
Get one that is the right size for you.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

MC07
Rookie Member

Postby MC07 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:04 am

I've cut down a nylon tool belt with a small blow torch, looked a bit rough, but obviously for a tool belt it's appearance afterwards would not matter.

Although for a duty belt if you are only cutting down the part that is folded over on the back then I think you could get away with it.

Also I was just thinking that you could get some Velcro strips and stick them on the inside of the belt where the belt's Velcro is covered up. Like in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1ghviEwBA

As well, keepers for a 2.25" belt might fit.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:11 am

Use a Weller pistol-type soldering iron. It cuts and seals the nylon all at the same time. Not 100% pretty but if you work carefully, it comes out okay.

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:49 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Use a Weller pistol-type soldering iron. It cuts and seals the nylon all at the same time. Not 100% pretty but if you work carefully, it comes out okay.

So, you pretty much have to weld these things...

*4 years later... I've... I've finally... done IT!!! I have painstakingly toiled away and gone through thousands of belts but I've finally perfected the Art of Nylon Duty Belt Modifications :(( I can now afford to feed my wife and kids something other than nylon belt scraps :cry: It's... BEAUTIFUL!!!!*

Or I guess the easier option is to buy a newer one. I may have to do that at some point but for now I can live with the excess. :twitch:
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:24 am

Just buy a new one.

Get the 5.11 Sierra Bravo. Best duty belt I've ever worn, and the buckle is tiny which is great for all the crap we have to wear these days.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:38 pm

I checked out the sierra bravo belt at the 5.11 store, it does look really nice, but the price is really high.

How is it for comfort compared to a regular nylon belt? Does the thinner build make it easier on the back and hips?
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:01 am

mack_silent wrote:I checked out the sierra bravo belt at the 5.11 store, it does look really nice, but the price is really high.

How is it for comfort compared to a regular nylon belt? Does the thinner build make it easier on the back and hips?

It's only $70 dollars, pretty much on par with most other duty belts.

Haven't really noticed a difference comfort wise, but it's an extremely strong belt and isn't as thick as others, so it fits tighter against the waist and feels much more secure.The keepers that come with it are the best I've ever used as well.

The big feature of the belt is the buckle though. You save so much room by having it lock up/down instead of side/side. Pretty much a necessity if you're not a big guy and don't have a whole lot of room to work with. Some guys load their vest with a lot of pouches, but it looks so tacky and there's some officer safety issues, so this is definitely a better option. It's the only belt I'm aware of that comes with such a small buckle.