Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:04 pm

Ducatiram wrote:Stryke tdu. Size is true. No issues with belts.


Or regular Stryke. They are sized like regular pants (ie 34x34) and not like BDUs (ie large/long) so they fit better. I wear a 34 waist jean and a 34 Stryke is perfect.

warden602
Grand Poobah
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:01 am
Location: north west of pretty much everybody
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby warden602 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:08 pm

We're issued the 5.11 TDU in ripstop and twill (our choice/combo). Since I'm the uniform coordinator, I bought a pair of taclites to demo for summer wear. They are nice and light, but I found they are much larger/baggier than the equivalent size in the regular ripstop and the twill.

Strykes are nice but I don't find them any cooler than the TDU ripstop or twill pants... and for some reason a 32" inseam in the strykes fits like a 30" inseam relative to every other pair of pants I own. Good for wading through creeks, but I found they look kinda goofy the rest of the time - will buy them again but get a 34" inseam.

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:21 pm

warden602 wrote:I bought a pair of taclites to demo for summer wear. They are nice and light, but I found they are much larger/baggier than the equivalent size in the regular ripstop and the twill.


Yeah the taclite pants are very baggy - baggy to an almost unprofessional appearance sometimes.

warden602 wrote:Strykes are nice but I don't find them any cooler than the TDU ripstop or twill pants... and for some reason a 32" inseam in the strykes fits like a 30" inseam relative to every other pair of pants I own. Good for wading through creeks, but I found they look kinda goofy the rest of the time - will buy them again but get a 34" inseam.


Interesting. I wear a 34" inseam in everything and didn't find the Strykes to be any different in that regard.

warden602
Grand Poobah
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:01 am
Location: north west of pretty much everybody
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby warden602 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:49 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
warden602 wrote:Strykes are nice but I don't find them any cooler than the TDU ripstop or twill pants... and for some reason a 32" inseam in the strykes fits like a 30" inseam relative to every other pair of pants I own. Good for wading through creeks, but I found they look kinda goofy the rest of the time - will buy them again but get a 34" inseam.


Interesting. I wear a 34" inseam in everything and didn't find the Strykes to be any different in that regard.


Sorry, I may have been unclear - I was speaking of the Stryke pant, not the Stryke TDU. You've found them to be fine?

That being said, I also bought a new pair of Levis the other day and grabbed a 32" inseam that ended up above the ankle. Eventually bought a 34" that fit fine. Maybe without realizing it I've grown 2 inches in my thirties!

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:42 pm

warden602 wrote:Sorry, I may have been unclear - I was speaking of the Stryke pant, not the Stryke TDU. You've found them to be fine?


No you weren't unclear I believe I was. I wear the Stryke TDU at work and I fine their inseam fine. I wear the regular Stryke hiking and such and also found that inseam to be fine as well.

warden602 wrote:That being said, I also bought a new pair of Levis the other day and grabbed a 32" inseam that ended up above the ankle. Eventually bought a 34" that fit fine. Maybe without realizing it I've grown 2 inches in my thirties!


Levis are weird. Some washes of the same number I'm a 34 and some I couldn't close the button to save my own life!!

Pac_BSO
Rookie Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby Pac_BSO » Mon Jun 27, 2016 3:45 pm

Ziggy Stardust wrote:I've been considering buying a pair to try out for some time now as CBSA's two-year quest to reinvent the pant drags on. What style do you recommend for warm weather (I'm thinking Taclite Pro?) and how accurate is their sizing? Any issues with the belt loops accommodating our duty belt on any of their styles?



I needed some pants prior to my trip-anunal, asked for them in February was told good luck its going to be about 6 months because they don't have anything ready. Was told last week that my pants are in, go to pick them up, size is wrong, faded colour, and then they tell me that they had to "borrow" them from CSC. what a joke, I'll just pony up the money and buy them myself. Can't rely on this agency for anything other than a paycheque every 2 weeks. No issues with accommodating the inner duty belt, fits just fine.

User avatar
Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1231
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:16 pm
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:56 pm

I feel the same way, time to look after my own personal comfort and invest in my own kit. I'm considering shirts as well if anyone has recommendations for a good shirt to wear under body armour that would not stand out too much from our issued crap.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

Pac_BSO
Rookie Member
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:07 pm
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby Pac_BSO » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:02 am

I was thinking about the shirts as well. 5.11 has some nice thin ones but I can't remember the name of them right now, I was thinking about those. I have to return my boots in a couple of days ill get the brand of shirt then.

User avatar
John014
Seasoned Member
Posts: 405
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:45 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby John014 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:14 am

Punisher-One wrote:
John014 wrote:I'm a fan of just having my issued pants tailored so they actually fit, then sending the bill to the Inspector for the tailoring job.


Do they pay you back?


Yes.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:33 am

Pac_BSO wrote:I was thinking about the shirts as well. 5.11 has some nice thin ones but I can't remember the name of them right now, I was thinking about those. I have to return my boots in a couple of days ill get the brand of shirt then.


Taclite? I bought some taclite shirts and had them flashed for work. They are really great material and much lighter/cooler than the twill we used to be issued (back when the Agency issued us shirts).

The only problem is the sizing of 5.11's shirts is insane. I ordered a large for my neck size and they were so humongous I couldn't wear them. I could have fit two of me in the body of each one. I ordered a medium and while I can't close the top neck button the body fits.

melom
Seasoned Member
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:40 pm
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby melom » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:55 am

I have 5.11 taclite shirts and now a bunch of 5.11 rapid shirts. Quite a few officers in pac region are wearing the rapid shirts. They are super comfortable and fit reasonably well to size. I agree that the taclite collars are not really right either, but I have a couple tailored issued shirts for the extremely off chance that I'm doing the top button up.

I also find it a bit nuts that I buy shirts, pants, and have to kick in for boots too to get ones that last anywhere near the 2 years.

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby Punisher-One » Fri Jul 01, 2016 11:07 am

melom wrote:I also find it a bit nuts that I buy shirts, pants, and have to kick in for boots too to get ones that last anywhere near the 2 years.


It is truly asinine. 90% of my kit is personally purchased because the Agency either can't provide me with the kit or they simply don't want to issue us certain pieces of important kit (example - duty light, tourniquet, first-aid kit).

User avatar
Tommy
Veteran Member
Posts: 263
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:59 pm
Location: Parts Unknown
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby Tommy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:17 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
melom wrote:I also find it a bit nuts that I buy shirts, pants, and have to kick in for boots too to get ones that last anywhere near the 2 years.


It is truly asinine. 90% of my kit is personally purchased because the Agency either can't provide me with the kit or they simply don't want to issue us certain pieces of important kit (example - duty light, tourniquet, first-aid kit).



If it makes you feel better I was issued a duty light. And I still went out and purchased my own.... Better to have kit that I can trust than some "lowest bidder" stuff...
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:20 pm

After a couple of trips to "Fundy Tactical" I'd recommend them for in-Canada purchases of 5.11 gear. After exchange and factoring in shipping, fuel, and per-package costing at a US address the prices are very comparable. The staff are nice and the stores have a lot of stock - which helps for trying things on.

A.T.R.
King Poobah
Posts: 2291
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:20 am
Contact:

Re: Buying 511 Pants at reasonable price in Canada

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Punisher-One wrote:After a couple of trips to "Fundy Tactical" I'd recommend them for in-Canada purchases of 5.11 gear. After exchange and factoring in shipping, fuel, and per-package costing at a US address the prices are very comparable. The staff are nice and the stores have a lot of stock - which helps for trying things on.



And ask for my pricing, right P?

How's the pen?
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest