Forage Cap Cleaning

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Rareform
Seasoned Member

Forage Cap Cleaning

Postby Rareform » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:35 pm

Just thought I'd ask.

What is the proper procedure for cleaning a forage cap. My cap has had some cat hair, cloth fibres and little dirt scuffs on it. I normally clean with a wet cloth and fuzz roller, but, I assume there is a proper cleaning procedure i.e. soaking it in the sink briefly in luke warm water.

Anyone have any advice?
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Re: Forage Cap Cleaning

Postby ryan.p » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:11 pm

Sorry, I'm not sure what the procedure for forge caps are but a trick that some people still may not know about is cleaning ball caps int the dishwasher. Been doing this for years with excellent results.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

RedcapCrusader
Rookie Member

Postby RedcapCrusader » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:58 pm

Depends on the material of the Forage Cap. Some are a wool blend, some are synthetic.

Your best bet is just mild soap, a brush, and warm water.

If you can find a dry cleaner that has knowledge of hat cleaning, you could take it there.

For hairs and fibres, use a lint roller.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:59 am

I always use some car upholstery cleaner on the cap (top and sides). It sounds ridiculous, but it works wonders for the dirt. Just spray it on, use a gentle brush (I use a toothbrush) and lightly brush at the dirt. Let it air dry and the material will look like new. Be gentle, if you scrub at it, you could cause the material to pile.

For the brim, windex and paper towels remove smudges and make it shine.

To keep the material from getting easily marked, I took some upholstery Scotchguard, gave it a coat and it now repels any dirt marks or water marks (if you get stuck in rain and don't have the cover) and makes cleaning much more simple. If you Scotchguard it, if there's a mark, all you'll need is a damp cloth to wipe it off.

Has worked for me for years, my hats always look clean and presentable.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:10 pm

devilwoman wrote:I always use some car upholstery cleaner on the cap (top and sides). It sounds ridiculous, but it works wonders for the dirt. Just spray it on, use a gentle brush (I use a toothbrush) and lightly brush at the dirt. Let it air dry and the material will look like new. Be gentle, if you scrub at it, you could cause the material to pile.

To keep the material from getting easily marked, I took some upholstery Scotchguard, gave it a coat and it now repels any dirt marks or water marks (if you get stuck in rain and don't have the cover) and makes cleaning much more simple. If you Scotchguard it, if there's a mark, all you'll need is a damp cloth to wipe it off.

I do the same thing, works awesome !
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:59 pm

BROVO26 wrote:
devilwoman wrote:I always use some car upholstery cleaner on the cap (top and sides). It sounds ridiculous, but it works wonders for the dirt. Just spray it on, use a gentle brush (I use a toothbrush) and lightly brush at the dirt. Let it air dry and the material will look like new. Be gentle, if you scrub at it, you could cause the material to pile.

I do the same thing, works awesome !

I am most definitely going to try this. Thank you for the advice. :)
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”