Gloves

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
DonutMan
Rookie Member

Gloves

Postby DonutMan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:59 pm

Can someone recommend me a pair of cut/slash resistant duty gloves? There's so many brands out there.

I've been looking at say the Turtle Skin Alpha Gloves, Blackhawk CRG and the Damascus DFK300. Are there other brands out there that are commonly used?

red_coat
Sage Member

Re: Gloves

Postby red_coat » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:36 pm

I use the Uniforce by Franklin.I like them a lot, still have a lot of dexterity.

Q-Tip

Postby Q-Tip » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:07 am

Hexarmor - NSR 4041

Palm and fingers/wrap around fingertips are cut and needle-stick resistant.
Back of the hand...not really much there other than cloth.
Took a bit of time to wear them in, before that the palm was pretty stiff...now it's great.
Don't think these are common at all.

I've also been keeping an eye out for a new pair.
Devil hands have been busy...

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:10 am

Go for a glove that has uniform coverage.
Getting a needle or razor in the back of the hand would be no joy.
I find too many police/security gloves are made for style... protective gloves are there to protect, not to impress.

I wear Hatch cut resistant with dyneema. (Model SB8500)
The entire glove is cut/slash resistant. Also offers puncture and abrasion protection.
They are EN388: 4542 rated. (rated for European police duty standards)

I also have a set of Damascus gear gloves... They look nice and have good protection but the on/off pulls the liner inside out everytime.
Not sure why the company wouldn't have sealed the liner to the outer, it''s a frustrating design.
The velcro strap also doesn't make sense to me in a protective glove. Adds time to putting them on/off.

Here is a website with videos explaining how protective gloves are tested and rated:
http://www.mechanix.com/inside-mechanix ... -standards
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:32 pm

mack_silent wrote:I find too many police/security gloves are made for style... protective gloves are there to protect, not to impress.

I agree with that assessment. I do not care what they look like, they are merely going to be put on during searches or situations where I stand to injure my hands. They could be hot pink for all I care, they're not gone to be worn 24-7.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:00 am

We get issued hatch resister gloves. I like them, leather gloves with a full Kevlar lining.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:53 am

Work issues us Hatch, but I cant remember the model type or name. I don't care for them as they're not stick proof, and only have coverage on the palms. They're also all synthetic and seem to fall apart quickly (especially given all the searching we do and for how often we wear them....

I went out and got a pair of Hakson "Swat 2000"" full spectra inner glove and a leather outer shell...

Maybe its a personal preference but I've always liked the leather, as I find it seems to be more durable... I've also found it tricky to get a "one size fits all" purposes glove... I find the stick proof ones ruin your ability to really feel for smaller things on a personal search, the thinner synthetic ones offer no fluid barrier protection, so I've found the leather is kind of an 80% solution for everything.

That being said I'm always open to hearing from experienced law enforcement officers if they have any suggestions on better gloves
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:28 pm

Tommy wrote:Work issues us Hatch, but I cant remember the model type or name. I don't care for them as they're not stick proof, and only have coverage on the palms. They're also all synthetic and seem to fall apart quickly (especially given all the searching we do and for how often we wear them....

I went out and got a pair of Hakson "Swat 2000"" full spectra inner glove and a leather outer shell...

Maybe its a personal preference but I've always liked the leather, as I find it seems to be more durable... I've also found it tricky to get a "one size fits all" purposes glove... I find the stick proof ones ruin your ability to really feel for smaller things on a personal search, the thinner synthetic ones offer no fluid barrier protection, so I've found the leather is kind of an 80% solution for everything.

That being said I'm always open to hearing from experienced law enforcement officers if they have any suggestions on better gloves

Pro tip, place nitrile gloves (preferably one sizer larger) over your search gloves. It offers protection against fluids etc, and keeps your search gloves clean.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:36 pm

Good tip
I would also use hand sanitizer on my gloves before putting them back in my pocket to avoid cross contanimation.
It means they are clean and ready for the next call... but it tends to confuse coworkers when they see it.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

DonutMan
Rookie Member

Postby DonutMan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:16 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:
Tommy wrote:Work issues us Hatch, but I cant remember the model type or name. I don't care for them as they're not stick proof, and only have coverage on the palms. They're also all synthetic and seem to fall apart quickly (especially given all the searching we do and for how often we wear them....

Pro tip, place nitrile gloves (preferably one sizer larger) over your search gloves. It offers protection against fluids etc, and keeps your search gloves clean.

That's actually a good idea, didn't think about that. :thumbsup:

Q-Tip

Postby Q-Tip » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:57 am

mack_silent wrote:Good tip
I would also use hand sanitizer on my gloves before putting them back in my pocket to avoid cross contanimation.
It means they are clean and ready for the next call... but it tends to confuse coworkers when they see it.

if they're leather, the alcohol will break down the leather over time.
Just something to watch out for.
Devil hands have been busy...

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:53 am

Q-Tip wrote:

Did not know that. Thanks!

cityblue
Veteran Member

Postby cityblue » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:55 pm

Q-Tip wrote:

Interesting. I found my leather hatch gloves when I worked in a hospital lasted significantly longer than any of mine since I've been on the street. I used sanitizer after every call at the hospital and found the leather seemed very well "conditioned" while the ones I have now wear out about every 3 or 4 months - exact same style and size gloves with vastly different wear life.

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:21 pm

Q-Tip wrote:if they're leather, the alcohol will break down the leather over time.

true, but I still like to use hand sanitizer on our issued frisk masters...obviously if blood gets on them or if there's even the slightest rip then I trade them in for a new pair.
CX-1 @ Millhaven

Paul R
Seasoned Member

Postby Paul R » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:34 pm

Don't put too much stock in a gloves cut resistance. I had a pair of hatch gloves a few years back that I took out of service. I thought I'd try cutting them to see how resistant they were. My fillet knife cut one of the fingers off like it was a stick of butter.
"I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it."