Bates discontinuing Steel Toe

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Bates discontinuing Steel Toe

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:11 pm

Well for those of us in the CBSA I have some bad news.
I needed a new pair of boots yet again (tried Original SWAT this time and they lasted about 6 months) so I decided to go back to the venerable Bates GX8 non-sidezip steel toe. Couldn't select a size online so I called them directly. They said they are no longer going to manufacture the non-sidezip steel-toe CSA boot. So for those of us in CBSA that eliminates maybe the only boot that ever lasted a full (or very close to) 2 years :(.

I was able to source one pair from a small LEO shop in Manitoba online. If you need boots and want to grab these a google search is about the only way to find someone in Canada still with stock.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: Bates discontinuing Steel Toe

Postby mack_silent » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:52 pm

Magnum makes nice boots.
I have a pair of side zip stealth 8.0, they lasted close to two years with extreme use (avg 15km+ per shift) before the leather started tearing.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:36 am

mack_silent wrote:Magnum makes nice boots.
I have a pair of side zip stealth 8.0, they lasted close to two years with extreme use (avg 15km+ per shift) before the leather started tearing.

I used to use the older-style Magnums but they only lasted between 6-8 months themselves. Our 2 year boot requirement NO SIDE ZIPS is absolutely ridiculous but the Bates was the only one I found that came remotely close.

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:45 am

and just when i needed to buy some.... i guess ill have to rush down the re seller and see if they can put some on order :shock:
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:21 pm

seekerbeta wrote:and just when i needed to buy some.... i guess ill have to rush down the re seller and see if they can put some on order :shock:

I called the Bates head office to order and they have zero stock so good luck! Maybe they have a few lying around in your size but I think CBSA Officers cleaned them out. You'd think they'd continue to line. I'd say at least 50% of my port wears them.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Have you tried Ebay?

I personally love the Bates 5" Tactical Sport Black Boots (E02262)...

Canada does not offer them, they are next to impossible to find in stores in the USA, but they are plentiful on Ebay!
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Ducatiram
Rookie Member

Postby Ducatiram » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:25 am

I'm just wondering how do you guys go through boots so fast? and why do you guys need steel toed?

I've had multiple boots and none have worn out that fast. My oakleys lasted two years of all year use, and so far my henwags (worn 2 winters) and 5.11's (six months use) look brand new. And I police a pretty busy town with quite a bit of rural.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:09 am

Ducatiram wrote:I'm just wondering how do you guys go through boots so fast? and why do you guys need steel toed?

I've had multiple boots and none have worn out that fast. My oakleys lasted two years of all year use, and so far my henwags (worn 2 winters) and 5.11's (six months use) look brand new. And I police a pretty busy town with quite a bit of rural.

I think it has to do with our criteria giving us choices that limits us to the lesser quality boots. CSA approved and non-sidezip basically means crappy Original SWATs or construction boots. The SWAT quality is terrible and construction boots aren't really ideal for LE work.

I'd love a pair of 5.11 CSA boots but they only come in sidezip and we wouldn't be reimbursed for the cost.

seekerbeta
Rookie Member

Postby seekerbeta » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:46 am

without knowing my size it would be a crapshoot to get the right size.
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:30 pm

That's unfortunate, side zips are so convenient!
I also didn't much care for the SWAT boots, they were quite heavy and burdensome for running in.
I tried the Under Armour Valsetz a few years ago (non steel toe). The UA was very comfy for the first month or so, then the padding was flat like cardboard.

For anyone with low arches (flat foot), check out the SOLE brand inserts (you heat them in oven, place in boot, step in, and it molds to your foot for arch support).

Punisher-One wrote:I used to use the older-style Magnums but they only lasted between 6-8 months themselves. Our 2 year boot requirement NO SIDE ZIPS is absolutely ridiculous but the Bates was the only one I found that came remotely close.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

SPARTAN
Veteran Member

Postby SPARTAN » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:13 pm

I absolutely agree since discovering Sole insoles. Never had any hotspots with them when I was rucking, and my feet are never sore after a shift.
Probably the best 40$ I spend in a year and they last!
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed **** and keep coming back for more. " BMQ MCpl

ghostprotocol
Rookie Member

Postby ghostprotocol » Mon Feb 08, 2016 4:47 am

Try the Keen Oshawa boot. Meets CBSA requirements, fits like a glove, feels like a athletic shoe more than a work boot when wearing it as well. Was recommended the Bates model a while back, and loved it. Bought a second pair (Keen) to alternate and have no complaints whatsoever. Cannot speak on durability yet as it has been 2 months about.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:25 am

I love my Bates GX 8. Now these are side zipper which i don't mind. Always feel secure. They're composite toe for CSA. I will continue to buy these.

AHP309
Seasoned Member

Postby AHP309 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:23 pm

Respond Wayne wrote:Have you tried Ebay?

I personally love the Bates 5" Tactical Sport Black Boots (E02262)...

Canada does not offer them, they are next to impossible to find in stores in the USA, but they are plentiful on Ebay!

These and many other of the Bates boots are readily available at or on line from a large outdoor sporting goods store in Canada (no....they don't sell tires)

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:17 am

I know (atleast before I jumped ship) CBSA will reimburse for items bought outside of Canada (but not for any duties paid). I always found the selection at the CAD stores was shite and decent boots were over the max CBSA would pay.
la police gears and other sites in the US usually had deals (delete this if it's against policy, not an employee and not advertising for them) as well as selection on boots.
PS I have been drinking heavily so please excuse the sentence structure.

JP
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer