Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby Dave Jenkins » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:58 pm

I would have thought with my constant references to Ontario that I am speaking in reference to such enforcement in Ontario. Other provinces have a much more varied approach to law enforcement (community peace officers, sheriffs, police constables, special constables, designated police). Different authorities and scope of duties make all the difference in the world.

Parking enforcement here in Ontario is not about to be arresting anyone anytime soon. They only anomaly to this mix would be Mississauga Transit Enforcement which are a different bird altogether. But even they are bending and twisting by-law enforcement to suit their needs rather than convert to special constables like GO, York, Ottawa and TTC.

As for what I did and or do now - I was a meager university special constable for 30 years here in Ontario and retired as a sgt. Had the use of force tools and training that have become standard for non police special constables here. After retiring I did an assortment of things. Presently I am doing parking enforcement. It is what it is and it suits me just fine. We have no arrest authority pertaining to our duties. Just spot a violation and write a ticket then drive on. Granted, I have been accused of being an unchristian ass-hole and had a finger vigorously wagged at me.

Being a university special constable was a different kettle of fish. Enforcement of the Criminal Code, CDSA, LLA, TPA & MHA brought with it the requirement for arrest when necessary. Therefore the use of force options and prisoner partitions in the vehicles. I also have had pretty extensive training in use of force, Active Shooter and Rapid Deployment.

My biggest concern is when people try and twist a relatively benign job, such as parking enforcement in most Ontario cities, into something that its not. I may concede that Toronto is different. But from my experience and what I have read and been told the reset of the province is pretty darn safe for parking enforcement officers. I would think more bus drivers are in danger (seriously). They do get assaulted much more frequently.

I'll close here with - I really don't care if the RCMP want or need provincial authority. I just think it odd that they are not recognized as police here in Ontario like they are in other provinces. Oh, and to be recognized as police under the PSA would not impose control (ie SIU) on the RCMP as they are governed by their own Fed Act.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:12 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:Parking enforcement here in Ontario is not about to be arresting anyone anytime soon. They only anomaly to this mix would be Mississauga Transit Enforcement which are a different bird altogether. But even they are bending and twisting by-law enforcement to suit their needs rather than convert to special constables like GO, York, Ottawa and TTC.

Does Mississauga Transit Enforcement do parking enforcement?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:45 am

Von wrote:
Dave Jenkins wrote:Parking enforcement here in Ontario is not about to be arresting anyone anytime soon. They only anomaly to this mix would be Mississauga Transit Enforcement which are a different bird altogether. But even they are bending and twisting by-law enforcement to suit their needs rather than convert to special constables like GO, York, Ottawa and TTC.

That was a my-bad in wording and context. Not parking directly.

"A Transit Enforcement Officer has the authority to arrest, issue fines or ban someone from using the transit system. Their authorization to do so comes from various forms of legislation, including the Criminal Code of Canada, Public Works Protection Act, Trespass to Property Act and the Transit (rules and regulations) bylaw 425-03 in the City of Mississauga."

"Unauthorized Vehicles
No unauthorized vehicle is allowed on any prop
erty which forms part of the Corporation’s
public transportation system and such vehicles will
be fined or towed at the owner’s expense."
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:
Von wrote:

That was a my-bad in wording and context. Not parking directly.

"A Transit Enforcement Officer has the authority to arrest, issue fines or ban someone from using the transit system. Their authorization to do so comes from various forms of legislation, including the Criminal Code of Canada, Public Works Protection Act, Trespass to Property Act and the Transit (rules and regulations) bylaw 425-03 in the City of Mississauga."

"Unauthorized Vehicles
No unauthorized vehicle is allowed on any prop
erty which forms part of the Corporation’s
public transportation system and such vehicles will
be fined or towed at the owner’s expense."

Doesn't GO Transit Safety do parking enforcement in their lots too? TTC Transit Enforcement is also looking into doing parking enforcement on city streets IIRC.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Von wrote:Doesn't GO Transit Safety do parking enforcement in their lots too? TTC Transit Enforcement is also looking into doing parking enforcement on city streets IIRC.

I know we don't touch the GO*1 stations in Burlington for general parking issues. We can enforce any Fire Routes & Handicap*2 on any property. The Applebee station which the Walmart next to it - Walmart is a regular customer with GO patrons parking in their lot. So I must assume GO do parking enforcement on their properties.

*1 Go properties are not on our approved list from City.

*2 Fire Routes & Handicap - We randomly check Fire Routes & Handicap (city properties, schools, malls, townhouse complexes, condos, apartments and business properties whenever we choose no invite needed for any property for that purpose).

Schools, primary/elementary in particular, we do School Patrols Monday to Friday. Each officer picks 2 schools in their patrol zone and conducts a morning and afternoon check of the school property for mainly Fire Route and Bus Loading Zone and abutting streets for No Park, No Stop Bus Loading Zone and bus stops.

Meters and municipal pay lots are randomly checks. General proactive street patrols are conducted for assorted parking offenses. There are also private properties that have entered into an agreement with the City for enforcement.

Towaways are from city streets only. No towaways are conducted from private properties at all.

Ya, I know....I'm babbling on.....

We are awaiting our new hand-held ticketing devices. Reeeeeaaaaddddyyyyy for it......they are Android smart phones! It will be nice to get rid of the heavy Honeywell units. Digital ticketing is wonderful. Tracking, chalking (timing), officer notes, photos and such.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue May 10, 2016 1:33 pm

Old Honeywell Dolphin 9000 handheld ticketing device.

New CAT S40 Android based handheld ticketing device. Pretty much the only thing it won't do is make coffee.... :cry:
It actually is a heavy duty cell phone. Works great and feels sturdy, yet not clunky. Activated GPS/maps....and dash/window mount. :mrgreen:
-Mahatma Gandhi

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun May 15, 2016 9:50 am

Why wouldn't Mississauga Transit Enforcement go to Special Constables? There is precedent for other major cities/transit organizations doing it. Mississauga is pretty large I've got to figure they have enough "call volume" and work to utilize the designation.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Sun May 15, 2016 8:22 pm

Mississauga - for whatever reason it has been blocked internally. I think it would would great. But I don't run the show.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Mon May 16, 2016 9:32 pm

Punisher-One wrote:Why wouldn't Mississauga Transit Enforcement go to Special Constables? There is precedent for other major cities/transit organizations doing it. Mississauga is pretty large I've got to figure they have enough "call volume" and work to utilize the designation.

Maybe something to do with The city vs Peel RP?
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Mon May 16, 2016 10:43 pm

Tommy wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:Why wouldn't Mississauga Transit Enforcement go to Special Constables? There is precedent for other major cities/transit organizations doing it. Mississauga is pretty large I've got to figure they have enough "call volume" and work to utilize the designation.

Maybe something to do with The city vs Peel RP?

Could be, Peel would have to agree to sponsor it. They seem to have a fine relationship with GO Transit though, admittedly they don't sponsor them, but GO operates heavily in their jurisdiction.

mleo87
Rookie Member

Postby mleo87 » Wed May 18, 2016 9:24 pm

Dave Jenkins wrote:Getting back to by-law/municipal enforcement.

Vehicles:
Vehicles should be clearly marked out as by-law or municipal or parking enforcement so people know what you are. There is absolutely not need for a prisoner partition. Emergency lights are something that should be on vehicles that will be stopped on streets during enforcement operations. Simple amber is good enough. Roof mount gives better visibility.

Personal Safety Equipment:
For parking enforcement high visibility is of extreme importance! Hi visibility coats and or vests should be part of your uniform. Most are clambering for ballistic vests over these. You are much more likely to get hit by a vehicle than shot at, stabbed or punched.

Use of force tools such as pepper spray and batons are tools that require a high standard of training. There is also a higher liability for the officer and the employer when these tools are present. I'm not going to discuss these items further than this on the public side. Tactical communications is something that often works well. Defuse the situation and even avoid throwing fuel on the fire with tactical communications.

There are several other areas of bylaw enforcement you and the others never discussed. How about the Property Standards Officer? Almost all municipalities in Ontario have them and they are required to enter private properties on a daily basis, which often includes back yards (dogs - dog spray, baton, vest now useful) and going into houses/dwellings, commercial properties and vacant properties. 99% of the time they are alone to enforce several bylaws including zoning (rooming houses/illegal dwellings, commercial vehicles and illegal businesses) and deficiencies within the building. Again, I cannot stress enough that your going into a private dwelling, you have no back up, no radio, no UofF, to enforce a bylaw either with an owner of property or a tenant and whomever else or what else you may find inside. Again your going in as a law enforcement professional, you are much more likely to be perceived as a nuisance/threat than the furnace repair man (I've heard that BS comparison before and I don't buy it, why the hell would anyone be upset with or have reason to assault the furnace repair man?). In fact a flashlight, tape measure, notebook, cellphone is likely all your going to have with you unless you carry a multi tool which is really used for cutting strap or removing signs etc. Further to this, your required to wear a uniform that closely resembles that of a police officer, and many people cannot decipher the difference, especially newcomers to Canada. It HAS happened that for many property standards officers, they have been exposed to criminal situations outside of simply bylaw violations such as drugs, weapons, human trafficking, prostitution, and grow ops all among other issues. Many property standards officers would not know how to handle such a situation or deal with it appropriately which would be to play it safe, make your observations, get out in one piece, notify police immediately. Again, no training (depending on municipality) on any of these items is given.

I still think it's a ticking time bomb waiting to happen, and especially for the property standards by-law officer, I fear someone is going to be assaulted/held captive and no one will no the wiser until hours later when either you've been beaten to a pulp or no back up was available (you didn't have an alarm button radio) and your dead. I've heard people say it's a joke and shrug it off like it won't happen to them; Yeah? News flash, ANYTHING bad can and WILL happen eventually, so why not be properly trained and equipped to increase safety and survive-ability? I'll never understand arguments against it, (well outside of those who wish to be lazy and skirt under the noses of management) and I'll never fold on my stance on it either.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Fri May 20, 2016 4:21 pm

It never ceased to amuse (note, I did not say amaze) me that there is a vast number of people out there willing to stick their necks out for the sake of a certain job. If you are stupid enough to do a job that has some higher expectation of hazard to it then there is the obvious. Demand the appropriate training, equipment and authority to safely do the job. If you don't receive what you need, don't subject yourself to the hazard(s).

I can see where Property Standards investigations could lead to hairy situations. So why, oh why, are people doing this job without proper protection/safety and equipment/training? Surely some of these positions are union jobs. In those cases, WTF is the matter with the unions?

If you take a job knowing full well what the risks are and what equipment and training you will get then your situation is what it is and you put yourself there. Don't expect things are going to change just because you wish them to.

Anyway.....all of this is what it is and some things may change for the better and some things won't.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Iceking007
Rookie Member

Postby Iceking007 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:28 am

Growing up in Alberta I guess we just assume the rest of Canada is the same; who knew we had it so good in some regards. Although it is needed with all of our drugs, money, and violence; usually B.C. sets the safety standards, they tend to set the scardycat bar from my experience.

I'm also curious how the LE industry seems to 'side step' OHS laws. I understand these are predominantly provincial in nature but "Company is required to provide all necessary specialized safety equipment..." is a fairly standard guideline; furthermore from a laws and legal standpoint when one president is set it's usually good enough to apply to other identical situations (or at least lawyers make that argument work in a court of law). Can't everyone just look over the fence and fallow suit? Perhaps things are just far more dangerous here in Alta.

Lastly I don't understand why 'Ontario'? doesn't recognize the RCMP/GRC as Police officers... that's like Texas failing to recognize the FBI or ATF, (wait, they actually don't oops lol), sure maybe their direct scope is not to enforce provincial and municipal laws/by laws, but I'm pretty certain that as a federally sanctioned LEA they can enforce any Canadian laws in existence if required? (But then again I'm only a humble citizen; I'll listen to anyone with a firearm on their hip)

The only two speeding tickets I was ever issued were from RCMP officers, if I'm not mistaken those were provincial laws enforced; perhaps I should have gone to court and argued that they aren't really Police officers and I don't recognize their authority, wonder what the judge would have said?! lol.

From what I see Alberta has a pretty good system, any LEO should be better equipped than a security guard and their basic equipment should be supplied. When I worked security (a smaller company, no Brinks/Garda) I was issued a uniform, a security licence, and a full week of training and testing; we were allowed to wear duty belts and carry a maximum 3D cell flashlight (both on our own accord ). Radios were site specific as were cellphones, our role was passive observers only no UOF above ordinary citizenship.
Currently a civilian - EPS hopeful
Application - complete
ACT - 11/6/16 passed
APCAT - 11/6/16 passed
A-PREP - training
BDI - TBD
PDI - TBD
PI/E - TBD
PE&ME - TBD
Background - TBD

~Even the helpful need help~

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:09 am

GO does their own enforcement of station parking lots, including issuing tickets for fire routes, disabled spots (and seizure of people using permits unlawfully), etc.. They also tow vehicles and do "soft" tows.

All of the fines are through Metrolinx Bylaw and most parking fines are in house GO tickets.

As for Peel and specials, they are very odd. GO has the authority to criminally charge and release, but Peel refuses to provide print and court dates and will have a car go by instead. Very territorial. Other services are more than happy to let GO have the info and do their thing.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:02 pm

devilwoman wrote:As for Peel and specials, they are very odd. GO has the authority to criminally charge and release, but Peel refuses to provide print and court dates and will have a car go by instead. Very territorial. Other services are more than happy to let GO have the info and do their thing.

Which is, forgive me if I am incorrect, the purpose of Special Constable status no? The ability to charge/release on their property (or area of authority) so Police Services are not burdened by having to respond and come and do it?

**Not in any way, shape, or form am I bashing Peel - please do not infer or read that from my post. I have the utmost respect for Peel and it's Officers.**