Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
mleo87
Rookie Member

Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby mleo87 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:37 pm

I am aware of stir and debate regarding MLEO's/by-law officers PPE and uniforms. I would appreciate the opinion of anyone who has worked or, is currently working in an LE capacity of the uniforms, PPE and vehicles that you feel should be utilized (if any at all) in each role of a by-law/MLEO as described below. Please specify.

The ONLY point of this discussion thread is the concern of the physical safety and well being of by-law officers. The posts that I contribute to this thread are of my sole opinion alone and do NOT represent any specific municipality or by-law department in an official capacity.[

DISCLAIMER: For privacy and security reasons I (nor should any respondant) will NOT disclose or discuss the names, policies, information, or procedures of any specific municipality or by-law department. Please refrain from posting anything that is either protected, confidential or sensitive if it could be an issue.

Before I discuss further, I want to be very clear on something. I am of the opinion that by-law enforcement is [u]NOT
and cannot be compared to Policing, nor is it CBSA, Corrections, MTO, or Conservation, it is it's own type of regulatory enforcement and involves some collaboration and partnership between the above noted agencies. Yes, by-law enforcement is still law enforcement, however I personally feel that anyone boasting that by-law enforcement is recognized as a type of law enforcement that has the powers of or that operates in the same capacity as the above noted agencies, IS mistaken and should re-evaluate their understanding of the profession.

For those not familiar with by-law enforcement, I have included the list below of the most commonly identified types of by-law officers and their general required duties. Note: duties may vary between municipalities or policies. In some municipalities you may find the by-officer responsible for all of the below roles/responsibilities individually as a generalist inspector.

By-law Enforcement Officer, Municipal Law Enforcement Officer, Provincial Offences Officer:

S.15 Police Service Act: Municipal by-law enforcement officers

15. (1) A municipal council may appoint persons to enforce the by-laws of the municipality. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 15 (1).

Peace officers

(2) Municipal law enforcement officers are peace officers for the purpose of enforcing municipal by-laws. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 15 (2); 1997, c. 8, s. 13.

1.) Property Standards By-law Officer: Inspects complaints related to private property maintenance and deficiencies such as, long grass and weeds, waste, derelict vehicles, graffiti, noise, zoning (property uses/rooming houses/front yard parking etc), and other issues such as low heat, inadequate water service, failure to providing electricity, and pests (cockroaches/bed bugs/rats and mice).

2.) Parking By-law Officer: Self explanatory, enforces various municipal parking by-laws and issues offense tickets ranging anywhere from no parking/stopping, handicapped, to time restricted etc.

3.) Licensing By-law Officer: Inspects and enforces regulated establishments that require a license to operate such as bars, restaurants, second hand shops, strip clubs, massage parlours, taxi cabs and in some cases tow trucks.

4.) Animal Control By-law Officer: Inspects complaints related to most types of animals (usually does not include animal abuse cases, OSPCA has jurisdiction or specialized large game where MNR has jurisdiction) including trapping, controlling, euthanizing, licensing or collecting various animals (most municipalities concern their ACO's to dogs and cats), investigating dog or animal bites, and educating the public through the spay/neuter program.

5.) Parks Enforcement By-law Officer: Inspects complaints related to violations of by-laws on city owned land (parks). Most common issues are dogs off leash, littering, open alcohol, non-permitted use of motorized vehicles, and prohibited sports or other activities etc.

Current or known PPE: Varies between role and municipality, some officers are not equipped with any PPE outside of steel toe footwear. PPE currently given to some officers commonly includes a vest, baton, OC Spray, flashlight, and communications radio. Some municipalities in Ontario have their officers on a police radio.

Current or known uniforms: Varies between role and municipality. Dress can be as simple as plain clothes, golf shirts, or a full uniform. Most municipalities in Ontario now require their officers to wear a police style or themed uniform that is either dark blue, black, tan or grey and consists of a standard shirt with epaulets, and enforcement cargo pants with either no stripe, a silver stripe, blue stripe or even a red stripe in at least one case that I am aware of.

Current or known vehicles: Most by-law/MLEO's utilize a marked city vehicle. It is usually white and can vary between a small car to a large pick-up. Again, these vary between the municipality and some are equipped with orange/amber light bars. Lastly, I feel it is also important to note that in some municipalities the officer is required to use his or her personal vehicle.

If you are from the LE community I encourage discussion upon this topic! I state again clearly, please refrain from discussing any personal, private, privileged or confidential information. If you have any concerns you wish to discuss in private please send me a pm.
Last edited by mleo87 on Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 22 times in total.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Re: Your opinion - By-law/MLEO Uniforms, PPE and Vehicles

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:50 pm

policing: the regulation and control of a community, especially for the maintenance of public order, safety, health, morals, etc.

Take that as you will

I know when I worked as an MLEO they had batons, cuffs,vests,OC, shotguns for animal control and red lights for traffic control and commercial vehicle inspections (and this was in Ontario) Dark blue shirts, pant stripes (silver) radios, the whole nine yards.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

mleo87
Rookie Member

Postby mleo87 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:40 am

IndictableChaser wrote:policing: the regulation and control of a community, especially for the maintenance of public order, safety, health, morals, etc.

Take that as you will

I know when I worked as an MLEO they had batons, cuffs,vests,OC, shotguns for animal control and red lights for traffic control and commercial vehicle inspections (and this was in Ontario) Dark blue shirts, pant stripes (silver) radios, the whole nine yards.

As stated in my original post By-law enforcement is NOT policing, it's regulatory enforcement. There are safety risks and the role has it's fair share of conflict.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:13 pm

mleo87 wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:policing: the regulation and control of a community, especially for the maintenance of public order, safety, health, morals, etc.

Take that as you will

As stated in my original post By-law enforcement is NOT policing, it's regulatory enforcement. There are safety risks and the role has it's fair share of conflict.

So what is the point of your post?

mleo87
Rookie Member

Postby mleo87 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:24 pm

To promote and encourage tactful and respectful discussion upon an issue that concerns the general well being and safety of by-law officers/MLEO's, and to value opinions from the law enforcement community. Your opinion has been noted Indictable Chaser, thank you for that. Nothing further is required from you.

Cheers.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:58 pm

mleo87 wrote:

To promote and encourage tactful and respectful discussion upon an issue that concerns the general well being and safety of by-law officers/MLEO's, and to value opinions from the law enforcement community. Your opinion has been noted Indictable Chaser, thank you for that. Nothing further is required from you.

Cheers.

So you don't want his input anymore?

Btw, nice Avatar.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:21 pm

Personally, I think the standard vest, baton and handcuffs are fine for MLEO/By-law. If they require more, then they can dial 911 and have police attend.
MLEO/By-law uniform colour should be evidently different from police for safety and public impression reasons. (not dark blue or black)

As with any job, the employer has a responsbility to provide ample safety equipment to allow employees to work safely.
Is there a specific workplace tool(s) you feel is needed to perform the job better?
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:35 pm

Cheers.

Btw, nice Avatar.

I think he's telling IC to go fuck himself 88)

Sounded like it. Meh, ignore him and move on.

mleo87
Rookie Member

Postby mleo87 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:15 am

Btw, nice Avatar.

Not at all. He offered his opinion and I thanked him for it. He is free to ad anything he may wish.

I think he's telling IC to go fuck himself 88)

Not at all. I don't believe in, nor will I participate in unprofessional debate. He offered his opinion and I thanked him for it.

Personally, I think the standard vest, baton and handcuffs are fine for MLEO/By-law. If they require more, then they can dial 911 and have police attend.
MLEO/By-law uniform colour should be evidently different from police for safety and public impression reasons. (not dark blue or black)

As with any job, the employer has a responsibility to provide ample safety equipment to allow employees to work safely.
Is there a specific workplace tool(s) you feel is needed to perform the job better?

I am not aware of a municipal enforcement service in Ontario that outfits it's officers with cuff's; at present almost all are encouraged to back away from a potentially hazardous situation and are not mandated to detain anyone. To supplement this, some (and I stress not all) train their officers in self defense and or control tactics. Some by-law services outfit their officers with vests, baton and or spray (usually one or the other for some reason).

Most uniforms that I have seen are now in line with a police colour and style. One by-law service that I am aware of wears the badge over the left breast. Some by-law services actually purchase their uniforms through the local police and simply change the patch and or stripe.

I'll pose it this way as well: If you were in any of the roles (or all) I mentioned in my initial post, what do you feel you would need to do the job safely and effectively?
Last edited by mleo87 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:05 pm

Anyone who enforces laws & deals with the public should be issued a vest IMO. These days there is simply no respect for authority, and thus LEOs who are required to enter situations in which people they encounter may not be happy to see them should be properly equipped. There is definitely a need for a conversation on how MLEOs fit into the broader issue of public safety. Challenges in public safety & law enforcement have grown exponentially whereas budgets necessarily have not.

Police are often responding to calls that would be more appropriately served by a different agency and it reduces the overall effectiveness of the delivery of public safety services. Cops should not be responding to petty neighbor disputes over by-law issues or animal calls when they could be dealing with actual crime, conducting traffic enforcement or being proactive.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:49 pm

mleo87 wrote:I am not aware of a municipal enforcement service in Ontario that outfits it's officers with cuff's;

Vaughan bylaw and some Mississauga guys.

mleo87 wrote:I'll pose it this way as well: If you were in any of the roles (or all) I mentioned in my initial post, what do you feel you would need to do the job safely and effectively?

Vest, baton, handcuffs, flashlight, and radio that connects to at least one other person. Most Security Guards have that stuff so there is no reason a city employee enforcing some bylaws that a lot of people don't like shouldn't have the same.
Uniforms - something paramilitary but not black like the Police or white like most Security. Light blue, grey, tan, green, ect.
Cars - Something city provided. Marked/unmarked doesn't matter. Amber lights to the rear at most.

mleo87
Rookie Member

Postby mleo87 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:13 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
Vaughan bylaw and some Mississauga guys.

I'm surprised to learn of the carrying cuff's, I used to have a contact there who didn't mention it so it could be new issue? I travel to that city often, and I have seen vehicles and corporate security officers near city hall. I have a colleague there who confirms corporate security are issued vests and batons but no spray, parking enforcement only vests, animal control get vests and baton but no spray, and the property standards officers and licensing officers I cannot confirm. In my opinion that city has the most impressive fleet of by-law vehicles I have seen to date, brand new interceptor spec Chargers and Tauruses with light bars (amber and white only of course and only for corp security and transit enforcement), while the property and licensing officers use Escapes.

Punisher-One wrote:
Vest, baton, handcuffs, flashlight, and radio that connects to at least one other person. Most Security Guards have that stuff so there is no reason a city employee enforcing some bylaws that a lot of people don't like shouldn't have the same.
Uniforms - something paramilitary but not black like the Police or white like most Security. Light blue, grey, tan, green, ect.
Cars - Something city provided. Marked/unmarked doesn't matter. Amber lights to the rear at most.

All of what you stated above sounds reasonable and logical to me. Green though? Bleh!
Last edited by mleo87 on Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:35 pm

mleo87 wrote:I'm surprised to learn of Vaughan carrying cuff's, I used to have a contact there who didn't mention it so it could be new issue? I travel to Mississauga often, and I have seen their vehicles and corporate security officers near city hall. I have a colleague there who confirms corporate security are issued vests and batons but no spray, parking enforcement only vests, animal control get vests and baton but no spray, and the property standards officers and licensing officers I cannot confirm. Mississauga has the most impressive fleet of by-law vehicles I have seen to date, brand new interceptor spec Chargers and Tauruses with light bars (amber and white only of course and only for corp security and transit enforcement), while the property and licensing guys use Escapes.

Mississauga is rolling in cash, so not surprising.

mleo87 wrote:All of what you stated above sounds reasonable and logical to me. Green though? Bleh!

As per the HTA green is reserved for volunteer Fire/EMS responding in personal vehicles.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:43 pm

Von wrote:As per the HTA green is reserved for volunteer Fire/EMS responding in personal vehicles.
He's talking colour of clothing...
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/