Body Armor

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
RedcapCrusader
Rookie Member

Re: Body Armor

Postby RedcapCrusader » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:16 pm

DJM wrote:
mack_silent wrote:What company do you work for DJM?

The company I work for which I needed to buy my own was Response security. I work at a shopping plaza on weekend nights as the bars there always have people who are drunk or high on god knows what and the client has had issues with vandalism and wants us to protect the property with our lives. I also work mobile patrol throughout the week for them as well

The company that provided vests was Garda but they gave me one that was too small and I have been waiting a year and a half for a vest that fits plus my inserts are expired, I have hounded them so many times but they haven't been doing anything about it even though i see new guards getting custom made ones. As a result I wear my personal and just use Velcro to change the patches. I work weekend mornings in an indoor shopping mall close the some troubled neigbourhoods
DJM wrote:
ryan.p wrote:
DJM wrote:The vest I got was used by a guy who was stupid and bought the armor for a holloween costume.

So, you're telling me someone went out and spent $700+ dollars on a piece of a Halloween costume? I'm not buying it. I think you were duped into buying a prop of some sort, airsoft grade or expired vest.

What is the make?

Not sure the make, I don't have the vest with me now but will let you know next time i see it. The vest isn't a movie prop I'm sure of that. I tested the vest trying to stab it many times with very sharp knives and it didn't even cut out the outer lining, all tests were conducted on punching bags for safety. All I bought it for was stab protection as that is most likely what I would face in security, the bullet protection was a bonus. My buddy needed a vest so I won one for 50 bucks on ebay and he was skeptical of it so we went out and shot the insert which stopped the round. As for the guy he got the vest ordered from the UK and he didn't seem so bright so he would likely be the one who spent so much to show off to his friends to feel like the man.

:dropjaw:

All I can say is wow.

You self-tested the body armour rather than just purchasing NIJ certified armour from a reputable dealer... You have now compromised the integrity of the armour (especially the one you shot).

In real Law Enforcement work, any time a vest is damaged it is replaced as it may not save you next time you go out.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:24 pm

DJM wrote:
mack_silent wrote:What company do you work for DJM?

The company I work for which I needed to buy my own was Response security. I work at a shopping plaza on weekend nights as the bars there always have people who are drunk or high on god knows what and the client has had issues with vandalism and wants us to protect the property with our lives. I also work mobile patrol throughout the week for them as well

The company that provided vests was Garda but they gave me one that was too small and I have been waiting a year and a half for a vest that fits plus my inserts are expired, I have hounded them so many times but they haven't been doing anything about it even though i see new guards getting custom made ones. As a result I wear my personal and just use Velcro to change the patches. I work weekend mornings in an indoor shopping mall close the some troubled neigbourhoods

http://ottawasworstemployers.blogspot.c ... ineca.html

And that's not knocking you. I worked security, and I also know what that shit entails and I enjoyed it, made a pinch here and there. Got some good stick and cuff training mixed in with firearms (company also does armed sec) and made a pretty penny (contrary to popular belief some contract companies pay well...at least they used to in my time)

And I'm also gonna assume OP is just needs a guiding hand. I've worked with people like that also (in security no less) they aren't dumb-asses, they just need some positive reinforcement and a better role model.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

DJM
Rookie Member

Postby DJM » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:52 pm

Tango5 wrote:Let me ask. Are you writing on your phone?

yeah

DJM
Rookie Member

Postby DJM » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:14 am

RedcapCrusader wrote:Not sure the make, I don't have the vest with me now but will let you know next time i see it. The vest isn't a movie prop I'm sure of that. I tested the vest trying to stab it many times with very sharp knives and it didn't even cut out the outer lining, all tests were conducted on punching bags for safety. All I bought it for was stab protection as that is most likely what I would face in security, the bullet protection was a bonus. My buddy needed a vest so I won one for 50 bucks on ebay and he was skeptical of it so we went out and shot the insert which stopped the round. As for the guy he got the vest ordered from the UK and he didn't seem so bright so he would likely be the one who spent so much to show off to his friends to feel like the man.

:dropjaw:

All I can say is wow.

You self-tested the body armour rather than just purchasing NIJ certified armour from a reputable dealer... You have now compromised the integrity of the armour (especially the one you shot).

In real Law Enforcement work, any time a vest is damaged it is replaced as it may not save you next time you go out.

Agreed the armor we shot was compromised and my buddy knew that, we just wanted to see it it was still good and it still stopped knives too. As for purchasing the armor it was certified NIJ as labels said the knife testing was because I needed to see for myself, I hit the corners of the insert so it would be the least compromised. The companies I work for don't pay enough for me to afford the brand new armor.

DJM
Rookie Member

Postby DJM » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:30 am

IndictableChaser wrote:http://ottawasworstemployers.blogspot.ca/2014/02/denis-condie-banned-from-bluelineca.html

And that's not knocking you. I worked security, and I also know what that shit entails and I enjoyed it, made a pinch here and there. Got some good stick and cuff training mixed in with firearms (company also does armed sec) and made a pretty penny (contrary to popular belief some contract companies pay well...at least they used to in my time)

And I'm also gonna assume OP is just needs a guiding hand. I've worked with people like that also (in security no less) they aren't dumb-asses, they just need some positive reinforcement and a better role model.

The only place in Ottawa that pays well for security is Ottawa Community Housing, I tried getting in but they didn't take me and didn't even give me feedback other than I was unsuccessful.

Through working at the two companies and their drama I learned that its best not to get caught up in the drama. I just use the place as my route to policing which is my goal and I'm not there to be the pet of the company. I'm in the process now with the Ottawa Police Service so hopefully there will be a light at the end of the tunnel soon.