Body Armor

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
DJM
Rookie Member

Body Armor

Postby DJM » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Hey guys

Just wondering if any of you guys wear vests with stab protection while out on patrol. The armor I have is a L3 stab and bullet which i only paid $300 for.

RedcapCrusader
Rookie Member

Re: Body Armor

Postby RedcapCrusader » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Maybe you should be wearing what is provided to you.

$300 for Level III SBA with stab/spike protection is suspiciously cheap and I fear that you might be wearing something that is either used or damaged.

I'll give you an idea of the body armour I have worn.

Level IIIA SBA ( 2 x carriers plus the front and backsoft ballistic panels) is $700 (USD) alone. Then you have the special threat or trauma plates ( 5 x 8 inch plates that fit in the front and back of the carrier to protect against more powerful handgun and rifle fire and slash/stab and blunt force protection) which is $300 for a pair.

I doubt what you're wearing is offering any real protection.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Both of my III-A vests were invoiced at around $800 CAD each.
Neither has plates included, they are soft vest only with external and internal carriers.
There is about a 5-year lifespan on vests (sweat and wear affects the ballistic fabric).
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

DJM
Rookie Member

Postby DJM » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:21 pm

RedcapCrusader wrote:Maybe you should be wearing what is provided to you.

$300 for Level III SBA with stab/spike protection is suspiciously cheap and I fear that you might be wearing something that is either used or damaged.

Level IIIA SBA ( 2 x carriers plus the front and backsoft ballistic panels) is $700 (USD) alone. Then you have the special threat or trauma plates ( 5 x 8 inch plates that fit in the front and back of the carrier to protect against more powerful handgun and rifle fire and slash/stab and blunt force protection) which is $300 for a pair.

Sadly my employer doesn`t provide anything, we have to by everything. My other employer on the other hand does which is nice, i like the mobility of their vest but it isn`t stab protected.The vest I got was used by a guy who was stupid and bought the armor for a holloween costume. That being said i always know that i should never assume the armor should always stop it its more of a just in case measure.

Also for the plates you got did you wear them all the time and how did you find mobility with them.

RedcapCrusader
Rookie Member

Postby RedcapCrusader » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:41 pm

DJM wrote:
RedcapCrusader wrote:Maybe you should be wearing what is provided to you.

Sadly my employer doesn`t provide anything, we have to by everything. My other employer on the other hand does which is nice, i like the mobility of their vest but it isn`t stab protected.The vest I got was used by a guy who was stupid and bought the armor for a holloween costume. That being said i always know that i should never assume the armor should always stop it its more of a just in case measure.

Also for the plates you got did you wear them all the time and how did you find mobility with them.

If your employer doesn't provide you with body armour, find another employer. You shouldn't have to spend a dime on personal protective equipment, any security guard job where it is required or you have to buy your own is not worth what they're paying you. Why? Because in the event you are ever in a situation where someone is close enough to you that body armour is required - firstly, you're doing your job wrong - secondly you are not equipped with the means to protect your own life and at that point you're probably going to get injured anyway. (Hospital work is probably the only exception, but only just barely).

Never buy from anyone except a reputable, certified dealer by the NIJ; used or cheap body armour is never a "good deal." You're in way over your head. How do you know it's even real body armour? Most provinces have legislation in place that prevent anyone from just buying body armour for "halloween costumes".

Body Armour is not comfortable, never has been and never will be; nor do I wish to sacrifice safety for comfort. In my line of work plates are not optional, after the first couple weeks I barely noticed they were there. It was worse when we wore steel plates, those these are heavy, carrying an extra 12 pounds around; the new poly-ceramic plates are a godsend.

Floydie
Seasoned Member

Postby Floydie » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:56 pm

...as stated in your last thread...maybe you should find a different employer...
CX-1 @ Millhaven

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:01 am

DJM wrote:The vest I got was used by a guy who was stupid and bought the armor for a holloween costume.

So, you're telling me someone went out and spent $700+ dollars on a piece of a Halloween costume? I'm not buying it. I think you were duped into buying a prop of some sort, airsoft grade or expired vest.

What is the make?
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:54 am

What company do you work for DJM?
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:31 pm

mack_silent wrote:What company do you work for DJM?

FEDSEC?
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Tango5 wrote:

FEDSEC?

Can't be, FEDSEC only uses special black ops ranger stealth body armour. Very hush, hush. :mrgreen:
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:01 pm

DJM wrote:Hey guys

Just wondering if any of you guys wear vests with stab protection while out on patrol. The armor I have is a L3 stab and bullet which i only paid $300 for.

We just got new level 3a vests with level 2 spike/ level 2 edged protection. Little bit heavier than the 2a we had before meh. I like the extra protection. I know without bulk orders our vests are around 450, which is pretty good. Some of you guys above have some expensive shit (if your agency doesn't issue you your kit)
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

DJM
Rookie Member

Postby DJM » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Floydie88 wrote:...as stated in your last thread...maybe you should find a different employer...

would do the who hands off observe and report only type of gig but issue is in those places we don't get a good competitive edge when it comes time to recruitment. Working at these high risk sites has given me excellent situations where i used good communication skills and conflict resolution skills that wouldn't be otherwise challenged in a hands off outfit. As far as we are not equipped to defend ourselves I don't mean to sound arrogant but that's not entirely true. We do get use of force training although the current instructor isn't the best. I personally have over 18 years of martial arts experience and currently teach it. As far as equipment we do carry batons and handcuffs. True none of these are there to combat firearms which is why i say not entirely true. As for the armor control laws yes some provinces do have legislation preventing random Joe's from possessing body armor but at Ontario where I'm from there isn't any restrictions.

DJM
Rookie Member

Postby DJM » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:40 pm

ryan.p wrote:
DJM wrote:The vest I got was used by a guy who was stupid and bought the armor for a holloween costume.

So, you're telling me someone went out and spent $700+ dollars on a piece of a Halloween costume? I'm not buying it. I think you were duped into buying a prop of some sort, airsoft grade or expired vest.

What is the make?

Not sure the make, I don't have the vest with me now but will let you know next time i see it. The vest isn't a movie prop I'm sure of that. I tested the vest trying to stab it many times with very sharp knives and it didn't even cut out the outer lining, all tests were conducted on punching bags for safety. All I bought it for was stab protection as that is most likely what I would face in security, the bullet protection was a bonus. My buddy needed a vest so I won one for 50 bucks on ebay and he was skeptical of it so we went out and shot the insert which stopped the round. As for the guy he got the vest ordered from the UK and he didn't seem so bright so he would likely be the one who spent so much to show off to his friends to feel like the man.

DJM
Rookie Member

Postby DJM » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:53 pm

The company I work for which I needed to buy my own was Response security. I work at a shopping plaza on weekend nights as the bars there always have people who are drunk or high on god knows what and the client has had issues with vandalism and wants us to protect the property with our lives. I also work mobile patrol throughout the week for them as well

The company that provided vests was Garda but they gave me one that was too small and I have been waiting a year and a half for a vest that fits plus my inserts are expired, I have hounded them so many times but they haven't been doing anything about it even though i see new guards getting custom made ones. As a result I wear my personal and just use Velcro to change the patches. I work weekend mornings in an indoor shopping mall close the some troubled neigbourhoods

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Let me ask. Are you writing on your phone?
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.