Need help finding a flash-light holster.

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Need help finding a flash-light holster.

Postby IndictableChaser » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:51 pm

I know, before everyone shouts why don't you go check out some of the sponsors on the site...(I did)

Any ways, my primary light is a lumintop td-16 with a 38.5mm bezel and is 155mm long. The problem I'm having is finding a holster that fits the flash-light face down on my belt. Now that I'm predominantly working nights it becomes a hindrance adjusting the light every-time I take it out or re holster it. (not to mention a few weeks ago after getting into it with a shithead with a light in my hand and I had to jam the light into my cargo pockets because the holster I use is a floppy piece of garbage and you need 2 hands to put it back)

So yeah, if anyone has any recommendations please share.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: Need help finding a flash-light holster.

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:20 pm

Custom kydex is your answer.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:08 pm

I have the Surefire 6px and picked up this holster: http://www.surefire.com/v85-speed-holster.html

If you can try your light in it, or find out if it's compatible - it's amazing. I have not had a single issue with it and the fact it carries extra batteries is money.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:27 pm

What A.T.R. said.

>>> HERE <<< and >>> HERE <<< are a couple samples of what our friend can create.

If you Google James McGowan Knives, his contact info is there, he will need your light to create the holster.

I've been using my current one for my Fenix PD35 for a couple years now, it's one solid holster!
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

red_coat
Sage Member

Postby red_coat » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:38 am

What does it usually run $$ wise? Is it a slide in/out holster, or is there some sort of retention?

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:48 pm

Kydex gets molded to the light. Great retention.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:07 pm

OP wants to hold it face down, though (meaning lens down, I think?). Would that work with Kydex? From Wayne's pic with his <<cough>> Hexbright it looks like you'd need to mould it so that thinner end goes in.

Or would it be moulded with a split so it could flex and release?

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:33 pm

Thats right, I would assume he would mould the kydex to the flashlight bezel allowing it to be holstered face down?

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:01 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:Thats right, I would assume he would mould the kydex to the flashlight bezel allowing it to be holstered face down?

Looking online there's a bunch of Kydex flashlight holsters that grip the larger lens end down, so I think Wayne/ATR's guy should be able to fix you up.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:10 pm

GoodWitness wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:Thats right, I would assume he would mould the kydex to the flashlight bezel allowing it to be holstered face down?

Looking online there's a bunch of Kydex flashlight holsters that grip the larger lens end down, so I think Wayne/ATR's guy should be able to fix you up.

Thanks guys, I'm gonna email him ASAP.

Lights
Seasoned Member

Postby Lights » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:51 pm

911 gear is amazing.

Try them as well.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:04 pm

I 911 gear is my regular stop. I met Gord a number of times, great guy! :alright:

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:30 pm

red_coat wrote:What does it usually run $$ wise? Is it a slide in/out holster, or is there some sort of retention?

It all depends how much work is involved, my holster was about $25.00, then I spent another $15.00 on the Tek-Lok clip (the dealie that bolts on to the holster and then clips on to your belt.

Just Google Tek-Lok clip and you will see various sources, there are a couple different sizes, and they come with the bolts to attach them in place.

As for retention, as A.T.R. mentioned, they hold very well, and the great thing about Kydex, you can heat it up (with a heat gun, maybe a hair dryer too?) and apply a bit of pressure with the light inside the holster to make it tighter, or wiggle it around a bit if it's too tight.

James is pretty talented, he'll have no problem creating the perfect holster for you. :thumbsup:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

mdc
Rookie Member

Postby mdc » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:14 pm

I know that you mentioned face down but if you are willing to consider face up? The molded holster for the surefire G2 will accept the butt end of your TD-16 just fine and it has retention in it so the light will not go anywhere unless you need it. Plus, since it's a quick retrieval holster, it is a one handed insert or remove. I have it on my belt and never have an issue with getting my flashlight back to it's home on the first crack quickly. Unless you are worried about damaging the lens, face up should be more user friendly since you would be grabbing the light in a way that puts your hand in position for the thumb switch upon unholstering.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:56 pm

mdc wrote:I know that you mentioned face down but if you are willing to consider face up? The molded holster for the surefire G2 will accept the butt end of your TD-16 just fine and it has retention in it so the light will not go anywhere unless you need it. Plus, since it's a quick retrieval holster, it is a one handed insert or remove. I have it on my belt and never have an issue with getting my flashlight back to it's home on the first crack quickly. Unless you are worried about damaging the lens, face up should be more user friendly since you would be grabbing the light in a way that puts your hand in position for the thumb switch upon unholstering.

True, but if I'm gonna pony up a few extra dollars it might as well be what I would prefer. But I will keep that as a plan b.

I messaged Mcgowan and still no response (hes a busy guy I get it), anyone else you guys can reccomend?