Best Boots

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
wilbertsasso
Sage Member

Re: Best Boots

Postby wilbertsasso » Fri May 29, 2015 1:03 pm

For years I've used sub-par boots, mainly as I'm concerned about budget. However, I've decided now that I need something comfortable as I'm on my feet for 12+ hours a day. I shelled out some money and got a pair of Lowa Z-8N GTX. Excellent pair of boots, the best I've ever had. Completely waterproof as well and feel like you're wearing a pair of sneakers on.

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:27 pm

My work gives us a $200 boot allowance ever 2 years. If we spend more we submit, and receive the $200 back obviously, or we can simply order boots through work that are $200 or less, and since I HATE spending cash out of my pocket for work that's what I've been doing. I've had two pairs of original swats, and one pair of 511s. I blew through both pairs of swats, and had to get approval for new boots prior to my boot allowance renewal both times. My 511s are getting beat to shit too, and I fear they'll be toast soon. I'm apparently hard on my boots, as I've not even worked here for 4 years yet. I think it's time to buck up and buy a more expensive pair that can maybe last me an entire year!

echo1
Grand Poobah

Postby echo1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:59 pm

fatboy wrote:My work gives us a $200 boot allowance ever 2 years. If we spend more we submit, and receive the $200 back obviously, or we can simply order boots through work that are $200 or less, and since I HATE spending cash out of my pocket for work that's what I've been doing. I've had two pairs of original swats, and one pair of 511s. I blew through both pairs of swats, and had to get approval for new boots prior to my boot allowance renewal both times. My 511s are getting beat to shit too, and I fear they'll be toast soon. I'm apparently hard on my boots, as I've not even worked here for 4 years yet. I think it's time to buck up and buy a more expensive pair that can maybe last me an entire year!

I never understood this mentality. Yes the employer should probably pony up for better boots/uniforms but ultimately it is you that suffers with subpar gear. Max our the allowance and spend a little extra on yourself!

RedcapCrusader
Rookie Member

Postby RedcapCrusader » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:03 pm

echo1 wrote:
fatboy wrote:My work gives us a $200 boot allowance ever 2 years. If we spend more we submit, and receive the $200 back obviously, or we can simply order boots through work that are $200 or less, and since I HATE spending cash out of my pocket for work that's what I've been doing. I've had two pairs of original swats, and one pair of 511s. I blew through both pairs of swats, and had to get approval for new boots prior to my boot allowance renewal both times. My 511s are getting beat to shit too, and I fear they'll be toast soon. I'm apparently hard on my boots, as I've not even worked here for 4 years yet. I think it's time to buck up and buy a more expensive pair that can maybe last me an entire year!

I never understood this mentality. Yes the employer should probably pony up for better boots/uniforms but ultimately it is you that suffers with subpar gear. Max our the allowance and spend a little extra on yourself!

That is what I have done in the past. Used my entire boot allowance and paid the remainder out of pocket. Bought me a good pair of boots which I still use and are in good condition 5 years later - Danner Fort Lewis. Then I bought myself a second pair 2 years later when my allowance was restored. It helps having 2 pairs and you rotate each pair every day - boots last longer that way.

fatboy
Rookie Member

Postby fatboy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:15 pm

echo1 wrote:

I'm actually fully with you here, despite how my post sounded. It was more the fact that I spent a ton moving for my job out of pocket twice (once I got reimbursed a good chunk the second time though!) and being the sole income with a young family it really isn't always easy for me to throw down $400 for work equipment, regardless if I will be reimbursed for some of it at the end of the month.

wilbertsasso
Sage Member

Postby wilbertsasso » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:23 pm

Favourite quote..."policing is all about comfortable footwear"

I never will buy another cheap, mass made boot again.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:34 pm

I wish CBSA would drop the CSA and "no-side zip" rule. There are some really durable and long-lasting ASTM approved boots made by reputable US companies like Danner and Rocky.

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:35 pm

wilbertsasso wrote:Favourite quote..."policing is all about comfortable footwear"

I never will buy another cheap, mass made boot again.

Before getting hired on with the MTO 7 years ago I worked in a variety of shops and factories for about 10 years so I've been wearing CSA boots for more than half my life. I will not cheap out on foot ware. Ever!
I've made that mistake before and regretted it.
For a CSA duty boot, I highly recommend the 5.11 ATAC Shield (if your allowed the side zip). Light weight, good fit, good traction in winter, comfortable in summer and winter and durable. A pair can last me 18 months at work but I get a new pair every year paid by work (mostly paid). I recommend them to everyone.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

Lyncher88
Rookie Member

Postby Lyncher88 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:42 am

Does anyone have any experience with the Tactical Research "TR960Z Khyber Hot Weather Lightweight Side Zip"?

link removed by moderator for violating BL advertising policy re: links to external sites.

I often work 12s on my feet outside, and the 35+ degree heat this summer is cooking my feet. From the description, it sounds pretty ideal for a summer boot (though I can't imagine it's waterproof with that much breathability).

Any other advice regarding super breathable/heat resistant boots would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Regular Guy
Seasoned Member

Postby Regular Guy » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:21 am

Last edited by Regular Guy on Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:00 pm

2 pair of danner ft Lewis boots still going strong 5 years later
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:46 am

I wonder if i could maybe get some insight about purchasing tactical boots.

I was always in the mindset that if I'm not law enforcement, I don't need the boots.. Then my back started hurting with POS shoes from Marks Warehouse. My co-workers have nothing but high praises for tac boots.
I'm constantly running to issues, 12+ hours on my feet, just started search and rescue training so a waterproof/anti slip boot would be great as well.

I've seen a lot of mixed reviews for 5.11's. I'm going to be shopping locally in New West, some of the other brands DS tactical has are:

Boulet
Danner
Hanwag
Salomon
Under Armour
Lowa

Any reviews on any of the above brands?

I'm also a size 13 or 12Wide, so I gotta keep that in mind.

Any advice myself and my lower back will be greatly appreciative
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:32 am

Stay away from UA and SWATs, they're garbage quality and fall apart fast.

I have 5.11s (as do a lot of officers I work with) and no one has had any issues. I wear them year round and they are good in all weather.

I've heard Hanwags are the best thing since sliced bread, so there's another option.

To be perfectly honest, you really can't go wrong with anything you listed except UA.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:39 am

Thanks!

I looked at the Hanwag's and the largest size DS had was 10. That won't do.

I've googled the 5.11 Storm boot on amazon and it's mostly 4.5/5 stars. I'll investigate those.
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member