Best Boots

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
BravoCharlie24
Rookie Member

Best Boots

Postby BravoCharlie24 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:31 am

Ok this isn't a new thread for specific boots but what are the best out there.

I am looking for the best boots possible that are waterproof and around the $200 mark. I like trying different brands and models to see what's best.

I am currently wearing 5.11 Taclite waterproof, its only been 7-8 months and they are starting to fall apart and didn't seem to be "waterproof" very long.
Before that I had the Converse (now Reebok) rapid response. They were heavy and inside came apart quick, but weren't bad.
The best pair of boots I had were Blackhawk warriors but at the time were around $300 :s
I was turned off of Magnums when I tried a steel toe boot and the first night I wore them the leather on the toe started to wear and made for an unprofessional look. But maybe that's just the steel toe ones.

So I am open to suggestions on some great duty boots (8" preferred but not a must) and feel free to list some pros and cons for your choices. I am not a fan of Original SWAT.

CBK

Re: Best Boots

Postby CBK » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:35 am

I haven't heard much good from anyone re: the Magnums but for the price I find them great ($125 - $150 last about 2 years). I have a pair of the insulated ones for winter and a regular pair for the warmer months. If I keep up with the cleaning and polishing they stay water resistant and look good ( Something I really should do more often then once or twice a year hahaha). I switch them out come summer / spring or fall / winter and they last 2 years each that way. Actually I wore my winters by accident almost all year last year (It's a bit of a story) and they have held up fine. Neither are the steel toe. They are light!! and the traction is good, I have had them squeak pretty bad (maybe its the way I walk) if they are wet walking inside a place though so there is no sneaking up on anyone in a building hahaha. They do scuff and the brown-ish leather shows through so they do need polish from time to time, something we all really should be doing anyway.
I'll likely keep buying them unless I find a smoking deal on some higher end ones. . . and I've seen good and bad reviews on almost all the major brands out there (except maybe danners) so who knows if higher end ones really are "better" or not. I think a lot is in your feet and the way you walk plus your clean and polish routine. Like I said, no one else I know likes the Magnums and say they wore out too fast etc .... a bunch of those people preferred the SWAT boots and I HATED them but the Magnums were always okay for me.
My 2 cents.

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:15 pm

I think if you spend more it will be worth it in the long run. had 5.11s hated them, have a pair of danner acadias still using them now after 8 years. They are my winter boot now and recently invested a pair of Danner fort lewis. a good boot for around $200 i recommend are the Haix airpower p3. gore tex waterproof, light and comfy they are my summer boot and have lasted a few years now, i know they are big with calgary services.
:wave:

Ineedtims
Rookie Member

Postby Ineedtims » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:24 pm

Rocky S2V's are the opposite of waterproof, but damn, I love them. I'm wearing them right now. They vent great in the heat, and water is supposed to drain right out of them (although, I've never had to test that). Huge toe box and instep for flipper feet like mine, and the outsole pattern is great.

My only complaints are that MSRP is damn expensive, and the laces tend to get chewed up on the grommets.

Harbinger29
Rookie Member

Postby Harbinger29 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:14 pm

I've tried the following:

Original SWAT
5.11 Tactical XPRT Tactical
Under Armour Breech
Hanwag Alaska GTX

The Hanwags are by far the best boot I've ever worn. Fit like a glove, extremely comfortable, waterproof and warm. They are expensive, but well worth it, in my opinion. Don't spend your shift in pain. Invest in a good pair of boots.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:24 am

I'm surprised that your 5.11 taclites have worn out in only 8 months. I've had a pair for the last two winters (the winter version) and they are still waterproof and going strong. I've never had a problem with 5.11 boots. I love them!

I've had a pair of Bates for 2 years at work that have held up great and been very comfortable.

I stay away from brands like Magnum, Viper, and Original SWAT. Those are low-end uncomfortable trash.

Commish.
Seasoned Member
Location: That place between were you live and that other city.

Postby Commish. » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:18 pm

I wear 2 different types. 1) Haix Airpower R2 and 2) Danner Striker2 EMS. Both are comfortable and waterproof.
-People think that I'm quiet because I'm shy, but really I've been silently judging them from afar and determining that they're all fucking retards.

BravoCharlie24
Rookie Member

Postby BravoCharlie24 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:08 pm

I looked into a lot of boots and decided to try out the UnderAmour Valsetz boot. Not fully waterproof but holy hell is it light, lighter than the taclites, and comfy like a running shoe almost but with the support needed. Also out of all the reviews only 1 negative review.

I keep hearing people say Magnums are great but from the "experts" they are horrible so I stayed away from them.
The brand that I tend to hear is the best is Danner but they come with a price$$$$.

I am surprised that my taclites are coming apart also. So is the dealer I got them from. A friend of mine had the same issued but I still bought them due to the good reviews. Sad they didn't last long :(

melom
Seasoned Member

Postby melom » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:46 pm

I have a pair of 5.11 skyweights right now, they are super light but I'm not sold on them overall yet. Not sure how they're going to hold up. They also have little upper support, but again, super light!

Really considering buying some Haig's. Found a local dealer, gonna check them out.

Braddock54
Rookie Member

Postby Braddock54 » Sat May 02, 2015 11:59 am

Anything worth wearing is usually 300 bucks and up. Just shell out for a good pair.

I've had a pair of Original SWAT (when I brand new and didn't know any better), then went to a set of Blackhawk's - which were also crap.

I've been wearing the same pair of Hanwag Special Forces boots for the past 3 years and they are still going strong and ultra comfy.

gettothechoppa
Rookie Member

Postby gettothechoppa » Mon May 04, 2015 10:11 pm

Haix are a really good choice but if you can get away with it, try Blundstones out.

Blundstones have been the best by far and still after 5 years in this pair, they are still comfortable but showing wear now on exterior.

Tacklebox
Veteran Member

Postby Tacklebox » Mon May 04, 2015 11:32 pm

I have had Haix, I wasn't particularly impressed by them.

I have worn quite a few different boots from different manufacturers. My recommendation is always spend the money to buy a quality pair. If you are looking for a quality pair, look at Meindl, Han-Wag, and Lowa, and no further.

TB

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Wed May 06, 2015 12:06 am

:aye:

Haix didn't serve me well at all. Although they were good at replacing them when a "popping" sound started to happen.

I've been using Bates "Men's 5" Tactical Sport Boot", they are super comfortable, require zero break in, and are nice and light weight...

The only issue I found is the sole seems to wear out rather quickly. My current pair I've had since September 2014 and the front part of the sole is pretty much worn out.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

BravoCharlie24
Rookie Member

Postby BravoCharlie24 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:59 pm

I appreciate all the responses. So far the Under Armour boots I got are doing well, light on the feet and almost feel as if they could be a "cross trainer" boot in a way.

Has anyone had any experience with the 5.11 Range Master boot waterproof? I'm digging the red and black colour scheme and wouldn't mind a pair for summer wear with shorts, and some athletic training.

Thanks!

Whistler22
Seasoned Member

Postby Whistler22 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:31 pm

I was using Magnums but found they wore out within about 8 months or so (and I only get boot allowance every 12).

My 5.11s are still holding up pretty decent after a year.