RCMP Uniform

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: RCMP Uniform

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:00 pm

Iceking007 wrote:
devilwoman wrote:I think events, such as the Pulse Nightclub shooting in Orlando and Moncton shooting, are proof beyond any doubt why frontline police need C8's or their counterparts.

Holy cow....... that is truly devastating; it really puts things into perspective!
(My thoughts and prayers to those affected and our future as a whole)

devilwoman wrote:Wearing a firearm is a huge responsibility, as now you are essentially always going to a gun call because your bringing it.

Yes, I'm sure complacency settles in after time - it becomes a normal piece of your kit - but that jump and that responsibility is a serious consideration of mine quite often.

-scary but necessary (although unfortunate)-

I wouldn't phrase it that way. Complacency never settles in, nor should it. But after the training (I'm with CBSA) you do come to a level of comfort and confidence in your ability and that of your fellow officers. You never really forget that it's on your hip and the responsibility that goes with it.

I'll add that this was a serious consideration for me as well. When I was hired I carried a stamp on my belt and when the arming initiative began I will admit to some apprehension. But after the training I've received those doubts are gone. (Well, not entirely, they never are but that gets into a never-ending feedback loop and the difference between one's mentality at work and one's mentality sitting here at a keyboard. ;))
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:24 am

The way I look at it, is a firearm is simply a tool.
Law enforcement officers should have the best possible tool available for each task they encounter.

As DW mentioned, frontline police (constables) are often the first on scene.
The minutes until ERT shows up could be the difference in many lives.

As Dave mentioned, handguns are meant for very close proximity and soft targets.
There have been many police situations where the first responders were outgunned by not having access to the proper tool.
This created prolonged situations that resulted in greater risk to the public and police as a result.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

crazy_flyer8

Postby crazy_flyer8 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:59 pm

As the saying goes better to have the tool and not need it, instead of needing it and not having it available.

mack_silent wrote:The way I look at it, is a firearm is simply a tool.
Law enforcement officers should have the best possible tool available for each task they encounter.

I have to agree with having the best equipment available at all times.
"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." -John Wayne
KCCO

didymus
Rookie Member

Postby didymus » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:07 pm

Iceking007 wrote:Sorry Dave I think you misunderstood me, I wasn't trying to say they shouldn't be issued C8's. What I find crazy is that it has been decided all members require them for daily duties, it's unfortunate how the world is changing sometimes. Of course I understand officers have to deal with all sorts of extremely volatile situations, but it was my understanding ERT would deal with most all of those. Perhaps due to spreading thin and current events (foreign and domestic) the RCMP/GRC have decided to try and bridge the gap between reg forces and ERT.

I'm all for training and the proper equipment, it was just news to me; I haven't seen any police officers marching down the street with automatics, nor have I noticed additional magazines strapped to their vests.

-sorry I had my post finished (it was better then this the first time but the server lost it) I see you've edited your post in the meantime so I'm struggling to get cohesion forgive me-

I understand the EPS is issued all sorts of weapons and tools, but it's my understanding only tactical has C8's. All members have tazers so perhaps that's a trade off to the C8's. Law enforcement differs quite substantially from metropolitan to rural conditions.

I also understand some areas are too remote not to have an ERT so the members are the whole force in one per se.

Sorry I didn't get your F book reference (I'm not a subscriber), nor do I understand or pretend to understand football, my sports are Hockey and Baseball primarily.

I'm not an anti weapon activist at all, especially for law enforcement and military personnel. My opinions are just as I see them from a civilian perspective, I wasn't trying to pretend to be an expert or judge the situation, I'm all for the right tool for the right job but try to understand my position, everything is so secret, even on here it's all locked or edited out; so how am I to know what goes on?

I'm just here to help, learn, and participate (as well as support), think of my views as feedback, not judgement and not policy.

I'm sorry if I offended; if I'm not welcomed here I will move on, just tell me, but I'd like to stay if I may.

Dave Brown is an expert in firearms so his opinions on this weaponry stands at a professional level.

Iceking, I think Dave is trying to tell you to think about what you post carefully before hitting submit. Since you hope to be a police officer one day, you must know everything you say can and most likely will be scrutinized.

ERT isn't everywhere all the time and it is prudent the patrol officer in GD should have access to the most basic of defensive weapons available when they need it. Not many people know that the NWMP had carbines before anyone else did in addition to handguns--and that is the 7-yard/100 yard reference. Pistols are only good up to 10-15 meters. Beyond that, use a long gun.

Police officers don't routinely take the carbine out for every call, just the high risk ones.

Iceking007
Rookie Member

Postby Iceking007 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:43 pm

I agree, that is a completely accurate statement.

Since I am new here I can assume to be subjected to certain scrutinies and possibly misunderstood, I was merely trying to explain myself and my expression.

I think I came off as being against that policy, this is not however the case. I was however genuinely surprised of hearing that, I would have the same reaction if say officers were allowed to go into any firearm shop and expense any handgun as their duty weapon (complete with night sights and lasers), or perhaps to hear that everyone is being issued hover bikes. Now that would be crazy, I'd definitely look into signing up for that service.

(Everyone can be judged, faults are everywhere; I certainly have mine. Given the chance I hope to fit in and improve but I don't have years of experience like most here, I'm starting from the first square. I try not to take most things to heart, I've been trough lots in my life as I'm sure we all have, but I really appreciate all the help. I'm a fairly 'open book' and mostly honest individual.)

Now I feel terrible for hijacking the thread. (Actually that was a post ago)
Currently a civilian - EPS hopeful
Application - complete
ACT - 11/6/16 passed
APCAT - 11/6/16 passed
A-PREP - training
BDI - TBD
PDI - TBD
PI/E - TBD
PE&ME - TBD
Background - TBD

~Even the helpful need help~

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:38 pm

Does anyone know who the manufacturer of the current design of the high vis lime green jacket is? I know stores issue them but who makes the jacket itself.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:28 am

Tango5 wrote:Does anyone know who the manufacturer of the current design of the high vis lime green jacket is? I know stores issue them but who makes the jacket itself.

With bunch of emails out and tone of research I just found out who has contract on the RCMP Motorcycle gear kit 8) (I'm in contact with) , but still searching for the maker of the non-bike Traffic jacket.

I do have the jacket, however, the tag doesn't state the maker and asking Stores for info is like asking God for winning lottery numbers.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

IrishCop

Postby IrishCop » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:56 am

Hoodwinkle wrote:
Harbinger30 wrote:There has been speculation if we do go to a dark shirt as to when this will happen in my detachment and the consensus seems to be when the Queen passes away, because they'll have to change the shoulder flashes anyway (assuming the new King changes the crown.)

There has been discussions on the boards here recently and apparently the future King plans on keeping the current Regalia...so no change in the works.

Your future King??!!

I would have thought Canada would be heading towards being a republic, just like Australia?

Once Liz goes the push for Australia to become a republic will gather momentum, the push is already on.

Maybe your new 'shoulder flash' will be minus the crown. :thumbsup:

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:29 pm

Interesting, I've wondered which colour shirts Officers would most prefer.
Maybe a BlueLine survey poll is in order?

The lighter colours (white, grey, powder blue) probably show the dirt more.
The dark blue and black shirts likely blend in better during night patrols.

As for patches, I personally like Hamilton Police Service's patch.
It is modern, simplified, vector style graphic of a Maple leaf on water, with very easy to read font.
There are also gold trim and subdued grey patches for the upper mgmt and tactical teams.

badbrad

Postby badbrad » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:50 am

There are a lot more issues to fix in the RCMP then the colour of the shirt.
The Brown report years ago outline many issues as well. No where did it say the uniform was one of them.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:58 pm

mack_silent wrote:...I personally like Hamilton Police Service's patch...
...There are also gold trim and subdued grey patches for the upper mgmt and tactical teams...

Image Image

Plus blue, green, and the Ceremonial Unit...

Image Image Image

:angel:
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:25 am

Some agencies in the States have white/light coloured shirts for day shift and dark blue/black for night (and possibly cross-over) shift. Said agencies also typically have the luxury of being able to designate a unit which handles all high-risk warrants and their kit serves that specific purpose as they handle nothing else...
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:14 pm

No 20 Year Medal wrote:Plus blue, green, and the Ceremonial Unit...

Image Image Image

:angel:

Those look great!
I really like the blue and green ones, thanks for sharing No.20 :mrgreen: