RCMP Uniform

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
ODIN
Veteran Member

Re: RCMP Uniform

Postby ODIN » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:22 pm

Im not a horseman, but I think its time to make some uni changes. dark blue shirts for everyone. Yellow stripe for Highway members but get rid of it for GD members. I know history and tradition plays a very important role with the force, but sometimes you gotta put that aside for Officer safety, there is a reason 95% of Can agencies Police/Corrections/CBSA have gone with dark colors. Just my 2 cents
CTP-22

RightCoast
Rookie Member

Postby RightCoast » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:46 am

I would be sad to see the gold (we ain't yella boy) stripe go away but do think it needs to be addressed.

It's funny how much better the uniform looks when wearing the blue sweater instead of the grey shirts. Maybe I can cut up an old shirt into a dickie so it's just the collar, then I could wear my sweater more often. :twitch:

LAWDOG

Postby LAWDOG » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:13 pm

The new SBA is actually a decent piece of kit, so I will give credit where its due. It breaths better, holds it shape, washes nicer, and of course, you can take some gear off your waist if you have a bit of extra room.

Maybe one day the 5946 and its leather stable will fly away and die too lol.

The new SBA carrier is light years beyond the old one. As for moving items from your belt onto your vest, that is a logical idea that will likely benefit your health and ability to perform. Therefore it is banned by the RCMP. The Uniform Kit and Clothing people sent a new bulletin out, advising that mounting anything on the MOLLE except the C8 Mags is prohibited. The reasoning is that it may interfere with the proper wearing of the hard body armour.

As for the Safariland 070 holster, BFI's across the country are testing the Safariland 6360 ALS/SLS as a possible replacement. (Cost is about $15 more per holster and there is zero break in time and a faster draw.)

Hopefully all of the issues, regarding shirt colours, equipment can be addressed and someday corrected through collective bargining.
"A good plan violently executed right now, is far better than a perfect plan executed next week." Gen. George S Patton

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:40 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:39 pm

LAWDOG wrote:The new SBA carrier is light years beyond the old one. As for moving items from your belt onto your vest, that is a logical idea that will likely benefit your health and ability to perform. Therefore it is banned by the RCMP. The Uniform Kit and Clothing people sent a new bulletin out, advising that mounting anything on the MOLLE except the C8 Mags is prohibited. The reasoning is that it may interfere with the proper wearing of the hard body armour.

That isn't really illogical. I was actually wondering this the other day. Seeing the cops in the states that wear internals throwing their hard-plates on got me thinking about it......if you do mount a bunch of gear to your SBA how do you thrown on the plates?

SPARTAN
Veteran Member

Postby SPARTAN » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
LAWDOG wrote:The new SBA carrier is light years beyond the old one. As for moving items from your belt onto your vest, that is a logical idea that will likely benefit your health and ability to perform. Therefore it is banned by the RCMP. The Uniform Kit and Clothing people sent a new bulletin out, advising that mounting anything on the MOLLE except the C8 Mags is prohibited. The reasoning is that it may interfere with the proper wearing of the hard body armour.

That isn't really illogical. I was actually wondering this the other day. Seeing the cops in the states that wear internals throwing their hard-plates on got me thinking about it......if you do mount a bunch of gear to your SBA how do you thrown on the plates?

That is the crux of the debate on vests/belts/ chest rigs. Look up on any gear forum. The debate goes on as what works for one situation (vehicle vs foot) doesn't always work for others. while these are based on army usage, there are principles that do carry over.

You raise a valid point as most aren't wearing hard plates as a day to day whereas in the army you usually* are (*situations dictate).
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed **** and keep coming back for more. " BMQ MCpl

Jon.
Sage Member

Postby Jon. » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:19 am

LAWDOG wrote:The Uniform Kit and Clothing people sent a new bulletin out, advising that mounting anything on the MOLLE except the C8 Mags is prohibited. The reasoning is that it may interfere with the proper wearing of the hard body armour.

This is bullshit, I have my radio in a 3rd mag pouch, fits perfectly!, to the far left under my arm. I put the HBA on and it doesn't interfere with it at all. HBA doesn't even cover where my radio is.

The real reason they don't want anything on the MOLLE is every detachment has Cst. Wannabe who's going to load up every square inch with tactical shit, look like a goofball and parade around Depot giving whiteshirts heart attacks. Besides, we all know the MOLLE is for holding our half dozen blue pens anyway. :thumbsup:

Harbinger29
Rookie Member

Postby Harbinger29 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:23 pm

Another thing you have to consider is accessing your tools that are still on your belt. If you have radios and cuff pouches and other stuff on there, can you draw your baton? OC? Mags?

Buman
Rookie Member

Postby Buman » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:06 am

We all know how members wearing stuff on their vest is going to go...

Sometime in the next couple of years some shit is gonna hit the fan somewhere and a member is gonna blame their f'up on being confused between something mounted on their vest and something mounted on their belt. Or a someone will have an accidental discharge during block training and say their tactical molle lunch box snagged the trigger. Ottawa will then redesign the vest to remove molle and have the mag pouches built into the vest(or only enough molle to attach the two mag pouches).
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Buman wrote:We all know how members wearing stuff on their vest is going to go...

Sometime in the next couple of years some shit is gonna hit the fan somewhere and a member is gonna blame their f'up on being confused between something mounted on their vest and something mounted on their belt. Or a someone will have an accidental discharge during block training and say their tactical molle lunch box snagged the trigger. Ottawa will then redesign the vest to remove molle and have the mag pouches built into the vest(or only enough molle to attach the two mag pouches).

:thumbsup:

Yup. I've seen first hand some of the asshattery mentioned above.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Jon.
Sage Member

Postby Jon. » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:21 am

Harbinger29 wrote:Another thing you have to consider is accessing your tools that are still on your belt. If you have radios and cuff pouches and other stuff on there, can you draw your baton? OC? Mags?

All of us at my office carry the radios on the vest now. BEST thing ever. Doesn't get in the way if you keep it tucked as far over under your non C8 magazine side.

I see a lot of guys lately moving their mag pouches support side vertical, to me that's a slippery slope. I still constantly reach to my side to hit the volume on my radio, I don't want to have to search for my mags. Too much muscle memory. It'd be like telling the guys who trained baton behind the pistol to switch sides with it.
I'm not sure what happened but it feels like the last year became a 'do whatever the fuck you want' with your belt session.

Harbinger30
Rookie Member

Postby Harbinger30 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:36 pm

Jon. wrote:
Harbinger29 wrote:Another thing you have to consider is accessing your tools that are still on your belt. If you have radios and cuff pouches and other stuff on there, can you draw your baton? OC? Mags?

All of us at my office carry the radios on the vest now. BEST thing ever. Doesn't get in the way if you keep it tucked as far over under your non C8 magazine side.

I see a lot of guys lately moving their mag pouches support side vertical, to me that's a slippery slope. I still constantly reach to my side to hit the volume on my radio, I don't want to have to search for my mags. Too much muscle memory. It'd be like telling the guys who trained baton behind the pistol to switch sides with it.
I'm not sure what happened but it feels like the last year became a 'do whatever the fuck you want' with your belt session.

I'm a little bit weird in the fact that I shoot left handed, but fight right handed so my belt is customized. When I first got my new carrier, I put my radio, cuff pouch, tourniquet, and knife on there. I tried it for a while but realized that I had a hell of a time accessing my baton or my OC, and I could NOT draw my second mag. (I keep it vertical on my right side.) So I downgraded and now only have a knife and my tourniquet on there. I also wear suspenders, which are great and should be issued to everyone.

Braddock54
Rookie Member

Postby Braddock54 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:27 am

If anything should be not allowed it should be: more than one pen strapped to webbing (even one I think is tacky), anything other than mags going in a carbine mag pouch - I've seen digital recorders, gloves....ugh just dreadful stuff really.