RCMP Uniform

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
yyzkfaz
Rookie Member

RCMP Uniform

Postby yyzkfaz » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:05 pm

this is in the Muncton shooting review

Hope they change shirts and pants. We need better equipment

While the yellow stripe on the uniform pants may be helpful in establishing officer presence, it may also be a tactical disadvantage in some environments. Many residents, who were witnesses around the wooded area where contact was first made with the SOC, commented on the high visibility of the yellow stripes through the woods. Bourque did not mention it in his statement, nor was he asked about it, but it may have contributed to a tactical disadvantage while approaching the SOC in the woods.

The issue of the contrast between uniform shirts and Soft Body Armour external carrier colours has been raised with the Review Team. The SBA external carrier is a dark blue and the uniformed shirt is a light grey. This contrast may put members’ safety at risk as the external vest is clearly visible to a potential aggressor, which in turn could expose where a member is not protected. The solution to this would be to make the uniformed shirt a dark colour to eliminate the contrast.

SPARTAN
Veteran Member

Re: RCMP Uniform

Postby SPARTAN » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:25 pm

Most federal public safety already wear navy,
Most federal parks/environment/wildlife/fisheries wear tan or greens.

While being a regiment of dragoons, I would rather see the cavalry stripe on ceremonial uniforms versus duty uniforms. I am sure in certain units having more visability is a requirement and will already be wearing dayglow colours.

(Not a police officer)
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed **** and keep coming back for more. " BMQ MCpl

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:58 pm

yyzkfaz wrote:
While the yellow stripe on the uniform pants may be helpful in establishing officer presence, it may also be a tactical disadvantage in some environments.

The issue of the contrast between uniform shirts and Soft Body Armour external carrier colours has been raised with the Review Team. The SBA external carrier is a dark blue and the uniformed shirt is a light grey. This contrast may put members’ safety at risk as the external vest is clearly visible to a potential aggressor, which in turn could expose where a member is not protected. The solution to this would be to make the uniformed shirt a dark colour to eliminate the contrast.

Hmm. As far as it is not for me to comment ...
Many members would love to see the banana line gone for that reason.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Harbinger30
Rookie Member

Postby Harbinger30 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:24 am

I think we'll be more likely to see dark blue shirts come in than the yellow stripe going out. Don't get me wrong, I was proud as hell to earn the right to wear it at Depot, and I love how it looks with the red serge, but it does put you at a tactical disadvantage, especially in areas where there are a lot of bushes or trees. Similar to what the Members in Moncton were dealing with. If I had it my way, we'd all be wearing something similar to what PDS guys and gals wear.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:48 am

As far as the SBA goes, try wearing it under your uniform shirt (yes, kids, I did do so, and in the Saskatchewan summers, thank you, for longer than the Force authorized, because I bought my own before it was an issued item of kit) until such time as the colour of the vest OR the shirt is changed.

To eliminate the stripe giving you away, make sure you are issued the rain / wind pants with the removable stripe; carry them in your duty bag, sans stripe, throw them on when kaka hits the fan, and throw your patrol jacket on, now you are mostly dark-blue (except for you blondes and gingers - you go in first!)
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Harbinger30
Rookie Member

Postby Harbinger30 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:47 pm

With the new load carrying SBA carrier, I think we'll start to see a phasing out of the internal. You can't attach carbine magazines to your uniform shirt. I like the idea with the inclement weather pants. I do this also.

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:49 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:As far as the SBA goes, try wearing it under your uniform shirt (yes, kids, I did do so, and in the Saskatchewan summers, thank you, for longer than the Force authorized, because I bought my own before it was an issued item of kit) until such time as the colour of the vest OR the shirt is changed.

To eliminate the stripe giving you away, make sure you are issued the rain / wind pants with the removable stripe; carry them in your duty bag, sans stripe, throw them on when kaka hits the fan, and throw your patrol jacket on, now you are mostly dark-blue (except for you blondes and gingers - you go in first!)

This seems to make the most sense to me. Visibility is your friend, especially considering most of us spend more time on the side of the highway than we do hiding from snipers. Be dressed for the most likely scenario (most on duty fatalities are traffic related) but be prepared for the other stuff too.

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Harbinger30 wrote:With the new load carrying SBA carrier, I think we'll start to see a phasing out of the internal. You can't attach carbine magazines to your uniform shirt. I like the idea with the inclement weather pants. I do this also.

Phasing out the undershirt / internal one would be tres stupide! And a contrasting external carrier, no matter the greater functionality it adds, will be just adding to the problem.

I understand that the CAF, and possibly the US military, are exploring the possibility of choosing colours, and patterns, of fabric that will blend in with, or at least not contrast too badly, in comparison to desert-sand, jungle-foliage, arctic / winter snow and middle-European forests. I am sure that it will take them a LONG time to bring these on-line. Gosh, I just hope the Force will be asked for their input, seeing how familiar they are with such concerns.

And do NOT bother sending me the repair or replacement bill for your Sar-Cas-O-Metre - you view here, be prepared or get stuffed!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

Lastknotch
Veteran Member

Postby Lastknotch » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:03 pm

I'm not sure that they are phasing out the internal carrier. Naturally, I think more are inclined to wear the external, especially with the load bearing ability. I did get issued a bandolier that can be worn with an external or internal as well as the new vest.

Harbinger30
Rookie Member

Postby Harbinger30 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:52 pm

There has been speculation if we do go to a dark shirt as to when this will happen in my detachment and the consensus seems to be when the Queen passes away, because they'll have to change the shoulder flashes anyway (assuming the new King changes the crown.)

Harbinger30
Rookie Member

Postby Harbinger30 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:27 am

I saw we make a petition for him to change the crown so we get new shirts!

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:31 pm

And shoulder flashes, dammit!!! :smirk:
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:08 am

Harbinger30 wrote:There has been speculation if we do go to a dark shirt . . . .

Don't hold your breath, it's not happening anytime soon.