5.11 Tac Lite2 Gloves- A Security Guard's Perspective

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Rookie Member

5.11 Tac Lite2 Gloves- A Security Guard's Perspective

Postby 800800 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:38 am

Alright then, last year I finally purchased a quality pair of duty gloves. Previous to these gloves I was using a pair of insulated Mechanix gloves. My main use/need for these gloves (at the time) was 90% outdoor use, and 10% for random bag searches.
Moving on.

Overall- they are good gloves. The fit was a huge concern of mine, as I had got used to the dexterity offered by medical gloves. My biggest gripes had to be that since owning them the Velcro cuffs have never stayed fastened when you move your wrist.

Now though, a year later- its time for a new pair. Two fingers on the left glove are starting to fall apart, and the cloth-like material on the right hand is starting to look like its going to give out on me any day now. I've always been a fan of 5.11 products- especially their duty bags and belt pouches, but these gloves aren't really up to snuff for me.

All told- I think I got my money's worth from these gloves, paid just over $40 with shipping from 911 Supply, based out of Calgary. (Excellent shop. My go-to place for online shopping for work gear.)

Now I need a new pair of gloves. Any product recommendations? I no longer work at a site that does bag searches, but I still want to have full range dexterity. Additionally- while not a requirement, but more of a 'would like to have'- would be puncture resistance. While I don't do searches, one of my sites is in a rough neighborhood where the people have been known to use needles as weapons. It'd be good to know that my hands might survive a thorough stabbing. Finally, I'll be mostly wearing these gloves during winter, so an insulation layer would be nice, but not a deal breaker. That's what the Thinsulate gloves are for.
PRIVATE SECURITY GUARD
LOOKING FOR A JOB!! Located 45mins away from Ottawa, Ontario! Message me if you know of any open positions!

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Re: 5.11 Tac Lite2 Gloves- A Security Guard's Perspective

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:23 pm

I went through 3 pairs of 5.11 gloves in 1 year as a CBSA Officer. They are terrible. I will ALWAYS wear 5.11 boots but their gloves are garbage.
I now wear the "fast-fit" Mechanix tactical gloves. I love them. No cuff to stay open (had that problem myself) and good dexterity for shooting, cuffing, searching bags, and pat-downs. Very durable I've only gone through 1 pair in a year but they are only $15 so I find that for the price the reliability is great. I always buy 2 or 3 pairs from a US LEO website so I have some on hand.
I also use them for working in the garage and love them there too.

Rookie Member

Postby 800800 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:02 am

Thanks! I have two pair of Mechanix gloves for work in the garage. I never knew they had a tactical line.
PRIVATE SECURITY GUARD
LOOKING FOR A JOB!! Located 45mins away from Ottawa, Ontario! Message me if you know of any open positions!

Code44
Veteran Member

Postby Code44 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm a fan of 5.11 clothing and never heard anything good about the gloves.
Ive always used Hatch gloves for searching as they're issued and i never had an issue. right now I'm using outdoor research ironsight firearms gloves. bought them at wholesale sports and they are awesome for any use. used them to re qual on firearms and can use them fine on the computer and writing. i recommend them.
:wave:

SmokeyBear
Rookie Member

Postby SmokeyBear » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:30 pm

I am looking at these and they look great, the reviews look very good
Edited to remove link, violates forum rules.
“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.”
― George Carlin

ragnar

Postby ragnar » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Having been through many pairs as a cop, lpo, secuity. These are the best I have ever used. I would recommend them to anyone. 4 years and still on my first pair. Have another set as backup as I don't want to go without them.

Edited to remove link, sorry it took so long... the link violates the forum rules. Carry on discussing. opp2

SmokeyBear
Rookie Member

Postby SmokeyBear » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:07 pm

Are they cut proof ? I cant see it on their website .... Since i work at the land border i want also a glove to do vehicule search without worrying about cutting myself on wathever shit is laying around on the floor :?: :officer:
“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.”
― George Carlin

ragnar

Postby ragnar » Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:14 pm

I certainly don't worry about cutting or poking myself with them yet they fit very well, not bulgy. Its says Kevlar but don't say any more than that so not sure myself. All I can say is i have 0 worries, shooting, dexterity, protection all around the best glove I have ever worn.

• Dual-layer premium goatskin leather palm and fingertip reinforcements
• Constructed with KEVLAR® for flash/flame protection (CE 420 EN407 X1XXX)
• Padded protection on back of hand and fingers
• Back-of-hand and wrist adjustments for secure fit
• Nylon loop on wrist for easy donning and attachment to carabiners
• Patent #D577,177

Ineedtims
Rookie Member

Postby Ineedtims » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:08 pm

[quote="SmokeyBear"]I am looking at these and they look great, the reviews look very good
edited to remove link, violates forum rules.

I've got a pair. Amazing gloves for shooting and anything requiring dexterity. It really does feel like the next best thing to putting on nitrile gloves.

Definitely not cut-proof though.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:15 pm

Check out Hatch gloves.

I have a set of the FM2000 Friskmaster™. They are leather style with cut-resistant lining.
Great fit, comfortable, durable (been using for about 2 years), warm.
I also have Damascus search gloves, puncture/cut resistant, but I don't like how the liner goes inside out when you pull them off.

Also be careful with reading the specifications of gloves.
I like the Mechanix gloves for working on my truck or doing home reno work... but they are not cut or puncture resistant rated for body or bag searches.
The SKD tac gloves appear to be similar / shooting gloves, not for searches.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:01 pm

mack_silent wrote:Check out Hatch gloves.

I have a set of the FM2000 Friskmaster™. They are leather style with cut-resistant lining.
Great fit, comfortable, durable (been using for about 2 years), warm.
I also have Damascus search gloves, puncture/cut resistant, but I don't like how the liner goes inside out when you pull them off.

Also be careful with reading the specifications of gloves.
I like the Mechanix gloves for working on my truck or doing home reno work... but they are not cut or puncture resistant rated for body or bag searches.
The SKD tac gloves appear to be similar / shooting gloves, not for searches.

X2 on hatch. We get issued the Hatch rkf resistor (i think thats the modelat least...) Not bad, full kevlar protection, mild cut and puncture protection when dealing with undesirables, and they have great dexterity when you break them in. One pair I still own has been used 3+ years and only finally is the wrist elastic tearing.

But I was thinking of getting Hatch defenders with the sap addon. Just for the extra :boxer: . Anyone have any experiance with sap gloves?
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

CBK

Postby CBK » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:24 pm

Used Hatch FM2000 for a while now. Just seen the Hatch Friskmaster Supermax with Dyneema. Says better cut resistance then the 2000. Anyone here have anything good or bad to say about them? About the same price so.....?? The local store doesn't have them so I can't go check them out.
Thanks.