CBSA Vests

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
SPARTAN
Veteran Member
Posts: 178
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:14 pm
Location: Somewhere in the middle of nowhere.
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby SPARTAN » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:17 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:
Buman wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:I don't understand why CBSA thinks it always needs to re-invent the wheel with everything. The new RCMP carrier would work perfectly for us with "BORDER OFFICER/AGENT FRONTALLIERS" instead of Police.



If you want a vest that fades to an awesome greyish color after a few washes be my guest.


Wash? What is this wash you speak of? I thought the vest was supposed to be the same colour as my lunch.

Or is your lunch the same colour as your vest? :mrgreen:
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed **** and keep coming back for more. " BMQ MCpl

Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah
Posts: 673
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 am
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby Borderwatchman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:25 pm

Punisher-One wrote:I love contributing to the uniform chat on CBSA wiki.

Officers - "We literally all buy our own 5.11 pants. Please get a contract with them so we can have them."

Managers - "Why don't you tell us what you like about them so we can steal the specifications and farm them out to China. They will look like the 5.11s, be of inferiror quality equal to the garbage we issue now, AND you'll all still buy your own pants."

EPIC FAIL.



Why anyone would spend their own money on that agency is beyond me. I really don't see what the fascination is what 5.11 stuff, anyway.

Burick
Veteran Member
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:29 pm
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby Burick » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:05 am

I have been wearing the pants for a few years now. Much more comfortable and they maintain their color well. The knee pad inserts are great as well.

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:54 am

Borderwatchman wrote:Why anyone would spend their own money on that agency is beyond me. I really don't see what the fascination is what 5.11 stuff, anyway.


Because I have to wear the things 50hrs a week and the 5.11s fit better, are more functional, and look more professional. Despite how much I may gripe against management I still want to look professional and present that professional image. I feel the crap I was issued last time specifically was a joke. The pants were like bell-bottoms made of burlap-sack material provided by a third-party. I couldn't wear them.

Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah
Posts: 673
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:54 am
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby Borderwatchman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:08 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
Borderwatchman wrote:Why anyone would spend their own money on that agency is beyond me. I really don't see what the fascination is what 5.11 stuff, anyway.


Because I have to wear the things 50hrs a week and the 5.11s fit better, are more functional, and look more professional. Despite how much I may gripe against management I still want to look professional and present that professional image. I feel the crap I was issued last time specifically was a joke. The pants were like bell-bottoms made of burlap-sack material provided by a third-party. I couldn't wear them.



I've never had a problem with the pants fitting as you describe. I do concede that the material wasn't the greatest. But the uniform I wear now is fine; I have no complaints. I actually like the pants. As for professionalism, we can also help out by not stuffing our pants into our boots, trying to look like some SWAT/ERT member! It looks so stupid and stinks of wannabe-ism. I can't stand that shit. And the notebook holder on the belt, sheesh!! Are you going to school there, Dora/Diego??

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:37 pm

Borderwatchman wrote:I've never had a problem with the pants fitting as you describe. I do concede that the material wasn't the greatest. But the uniform I wear now is fine; I have no complaints. I actually like the pants. As for professionalism, we can also help out by not stuffing our pants into our boots, trying to look like some SWAT/ERT member! It looks so stupid and stinks of wannabe-ism. I can't stand that shit. And the notebook holder on the belt, sheesh!! Are you going to school there, Dora/Diego??


I got mine from a now defunct LE equipment provider as my size in CBSA issue was backordered until the year 2045. Some Officer were able to "negotiate" the staff into getting issued the "propper" brand tac pants which are awesome. I dealt with the manager, who is/was a huge jerk, and get stuck their brand of canvas sack bell-bottom pants.

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:55 am

Another plus is I was my 5.11's and then dry them in the dyer. In a year I've had only slight fading on one pair. The regular issue pants fade after washing and hang drying them.

User avatar
SierraSeven
King Poobah
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:48 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby SierraSeven » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:14 am

I switched to the 5.11's as well before I left the agency. Far superior quality to the issued pants which excelled at being absolute shit. Blew the ass out of two pairs of issued pants just by crouching down. Once in the middle of reading the section 98 detention wording. Good thing I was wearing black long johns, and that the detainee didn't catch my partner laughing at me. Would have thought we were laughing at him.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:52 pm

SierraSeven wrote:Blew....ass


Edited your post into a basic description of our issued pants. LOL.

User avatar
MichaelJCaboose
Regular Member
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:03 pm
Location: Blood Gulch Outpost Alpha
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:37 pm

My vest is in shambles but it speaks to the worksmanship to the end product. Of course...crawling in snow and slush and salt and getting covered in grease aint likely to help... also....lunch.
Wake up, gear up, work, go home, eat, sleep, repeat.

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 1951
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:15 pm

Let's keep these parts of the discussions to the private side, folks.

Sorry for the edits but let's not give the bad guys any ideas.

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Dave Brown! Fun Police ;)

I hear what you're saying.

mdc
Rookie Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:33 pm
Location: Far away from there!
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby mdc » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Although the CBSA Wiki and the uniform people on there are listening, I don't think that we will be seeing significant changes to most of the uniform components we have. The vests will be similar in style to what is already in use and quality will be questionable as always. I don't see molle being an option either. In fact I do not think it's a good idea. If CBSA goes molle, then at our various ports, we will be seeing BSO's running around with their pistols, mags, and radios up on their vests trying to look like they are the CBSA Elite Special Forces team. I like the idea of internal carriers since imho it provides a more approachable officer perception but the agency will not go that way simply because that makes a vest yours and yours only. Therefore, they can not reuse a vest to save a buck. Going with a CSC vest doesn't work either since their vests are very different in design and purpose.

User avatar
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3772
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:59 am
Location: Redacted
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby Punisher-One » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:20 pm

mdc wrote:Although the CBSA Wiki and the uniform people on there are listening, I don't think that we will be seeing significant changes to most of the uniform components we have.


They are most certainly NOT listening which is why we will not see significant changes.

mdc wrote: If CBSA goes molle, then at our various ports, we will be seeing BSO's running around with their pistols, mags, and radios up on their vests trying to look like they are the CBSA Elite Special Forces team.


Says you? MOLLE vests and the ability to put non-essential (read non use of force items) up there has been proven to reduce lower back and lumbar pain/discomfort in Officers after years of wearing over loaded belts. Having a gun/mags/baton/spray as the only thing on your belt will help with that.

mdc wrote:I like the idea of internal carriers since imho it provides a more approachable officer perception


Sounds like you are bucking for a management position. Officer comfort/longevity/health/safety should be put way ahead of "perception of a more approachable Officer". I could give less of a crap how "approachable" I look if I can't walk properly in 25+ years.
Members of the travelling public are going to ask me how to get a taxi, how cold it is outside, where they can get a double-double, and make jokes about my name (thanks nametags) whether I am wearing my vest now, a MOLLE vest with gear on it, or an internal carrier. Doesn't make a difference to them dude.

CBSABFI
Rookie Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:06 am
Contact:

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby CBSABFI » Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
mdc wrote:Although the CBSA Wiki and the uniform people on there are listening, I don't think that we will be seeing significant changes to most of the uniform components we have.


They are most certainly NOT listening which is why we will not see significant changes.

mdc wrote: If CBSA goes molle, then at our various ports, we will be seeing BSO's running around with their pistols, mags, and radios up on their vests trying to look like they are the CBSA Elite Special Forces team.


Says you? MOLLE vests and the ability to put non-essential (read non use of force items) up there has been proven to reduce lower back and lumbar pain/discomfort in Officers after years of wearing over loaded belts. Having a gun/mags/baton/spray as the only thing on your belt will help with that.

mdc wrote:I like the idea of internal carriers since imho it provides a more approachable officer perception


Sounds like you are bucking for a management position. Officer comfort/longevity/health/safety should be put way ahead of "perception of a more approachable Officer". I could give less of a crap how "approachable" I look if I can't walk properly in 25+ years.
Members of the travelling public are going to ask me how to get a taxi, how cold it is outside, where they can get a double-double, and make jokes about my name (thanks nametags) whether I am wearing my vest now, a MOLLE vest with gear on it, or an internal carrier. Doesn't make a difference to them dude.


How do you know how heavy it is to wear a gun and mags daily? Don't you work at an airport? :twisted:


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests