CBSA Vests

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
NS_SENS
Rookie Member

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby NS_SENS » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:36 am

The vest has already gone out to tender and has been awarded. Here are the specs they put out and are going with.

https://buyandsell.gc.ca/cds/public/201 ... TTA001.PDF

A few small changes that's it. The agency will never go with a MOLLE style vest. There's pics at the top and the bottom of the document has drawings of the optional suspenders, cummerbund and now having the velcro on the side going from front to back.

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:49 am

Just came across that.
Interesting that the cargo pants tender is still open seperate from the Uniform Supply System tender
Wake up, gear up, work, go home, eat, sleep, repeat.

SPARTAN
Veteran Member

Postby SPARTAN » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:21 am

NS_SENS wrote:The vest has already gone out to tender and has been awarded. Here are the specs they put out and are going with.

A few small changes that's it. The agency will never go with a MOLLE style vest. There's pics at the top and the bottom of the document has drawings of the optional suspenders, cummerbund and now having the velcro on the side going from front to back.

Two interesting points: the first
The small reflective tape, 12.5cm long by 5cm wide, shall be sewn centered
below the right chest pocket. The large reflective tape, 23cm long x 7.5cm
shall be sewn centered on the back of the carrier as shown in the drawings.
Highlighter identifier tabs affixed directly to the carrier. Didn't they just back down from that and state that they would be on flaps?

the second: Internal carriers
I'm guessing for the 3 I Officers?
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed **** and keep coming back for more. " BMQ MCpl

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:33 am

Unknown - but might be worth drawing some attention to. Though that being said, there were supposed to be changes made to the vest carriers in their composition for front line I had heard in the past. Again, old news - thinking I saw it through the UPWG updates awhile back.
Wake up, gear up, work, go home, eat, sleep, repeat.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:42 am

I don't understand why CBSA thinks it always needs to re-invent the wheel with everything. The new RCMP carrier would work perfectly for us with "BORDER OFFICER/AGENT FRONTALLIERS" instead of Police.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:54 am

NS_SENS wrote:The vest has already gone out to tender and has been awarded. Here are the specs they put out and are going with.

I was going to take a photo myself. Pierson has those. First time I saw that I laughed my fucking ass off. Last time I checked in firearms training the instructors demonstrated that glow in the dark items make you a target.... A dayglo green makes you visible from space. Plus you look like ramprat with their safety vests.....
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

NS_SENS
Rookie Member

Postby NS_SENS » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm assuming because the decision to go back to the Border Services reflective tape sown on the flaps came in late November and this tender was put together in September that they have made that change and the new ones will come out with it sown on the flaps, not the vest itself...Hoping.

And as far as internal carriers go I know at one time the Supts had an option of getting an internal carrier for their vests, perhaps the design in for them again.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:47 am

I see that the specifications include built in suspenders. We've got those, and as long as you sew the elastic straps on the back once you have them sized to you, they're great! Otherwise over the course of a shift the buckles will move as you do, and they won't be sized to yourself anymore.

It looks like the specification is for Level II armour, and it cites the correct NIJ certification standard, but then explicitly mentions only 9mm projectiles... Seems a little strange.

Nice to see that you guys have the option, or at least I'm assuming non-uniformed officers will, to wear internal SBA. I personally prefer external, but at least you've got the option.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:11 am

Body armor standards are regional. Around the world ammunition varies and as a result the armor testing must reflect the threats found locally. Law enforcement statistics show that many shootings where officers are injured or killed involve the officer's own weapon.[23] As a result, each law enforcement agency or para-military organization will have their own standard for armor performance if only to ensure that their armor protects them from their own weapons. While many standards exist, a few standards are widely used as models. The US National Institute of Justice ballistic and stab documents are examples of broadly accepted standards. In addition to the NIJ, the UK Home Office Scientific Development Branch (HOSDB – formerly the Police Scientific Development Branch (PSDB)) standards are used by a number of other countries and organizations. These "model" standards are usually adapted by other counties by incorporation of the basic test methodologies with modification of the bullets that are required for test. NIJ Standard-0101.06 has specific performance standards for bullet resistant vests used by law enforcement. This rates vests on the following scale against penetration and also blunt trauma protection (deformation):[24]

Armor Level

Protection

Type I

(.22 LR; .380 ACP) This armor would protect against 2.6 g (40 gr) .22 Long Rifle Lead Round Nose (LR LRN) bullets at a velocity of 329 m/s (1080 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 6.2 g (95 gr) .380 ACP Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose (FMJ RN) bullets at a velocity of 322 m/s (1055 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It is no longer part of the standard.

Type IIA
(9 mm; .40 S&W; .45 ACP) New armor protects against 8 g (124 gr) 9×19mm Parabellum Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose (FMJ RN) bullets at a velocity of 373 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1225 ft/s ± 30 ft/s); 11.7 g (180 gr) .40 S&W Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) bullets at a velocity of 352 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1155 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 14.9 g (230 gr) .45 ACP Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) bullets at a velocity of 275 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (900 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). Conditioned armor protects against 8 g (124 gr) 9 mm FMJ RN bullets at a velocity of 355 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1165 ft/s ± 30 ft/s); 11.7 g (180 gr) .40 S&W FMJ bullets at a velocity of 325 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1065 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 14.9 g (230 gr) .45 ACP Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) bullets at a velocity of 259 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (850 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against the threats mentioned in [Type I].

Type II

(9 mm; .357 Magnum) New armor protects against 8 g (124 gr) 9 mm FMJ RN bullets at a velocity of 398 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1305 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 10.2 g (158 gr) .357 Magnum Jacketed Soft Point bullets at a velocity of 436 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). Conditioned armor protects against 8 g (124 gr) 9 mm FMJ RN bullets at a velocity of 379 m/s ±9.1 m/s (1245 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 10.2 g (158 gr) .357 Magnum Jacketed Soft Point bullets at a velocity of 408 m/s ±9.1 m/s (1340 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against the threats mentioned in [Types I and IIA].

Type IIIA

(.357 SIG; .44 Magnum) New armor protects against 8.1 g (125 gr) .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets at a velocity of 448 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1470 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 15.6 g (240 gr) .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets at a velocity of 436 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). Conditioned armor protects against 8.1 g (125 gr) .357 SIG FMJ Flat Nose (FN) bullets at a velocity of 430 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1410 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 15.6 g (240 gr) .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets at a velocity of 408 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (1340 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against most handgun threats, as well as the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, and II].

Type III

(Rifles) Conditioned armor protects against 9.6 g (148 gr) 7.62×51mm NATO M80 ball bullets at a velocity of 847 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (2780 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, II, and IIIA].

Type IV

(Armor Piercing Rifle) Conditioned armor protects against 10.8 g (166 gr) .30-06 Springfield M2 armor-piercing (AP) bullets at a velocity of 878 m/s ± 9.1 m/s (2880 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides at least single hit protection against the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, II, IIIA, and III].

NIJ standards are used for law enforcement armors.
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:26 am

Not sure why, but you just copy and pasted a wikipedia article brother...
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Burick
Veteran Member

Postby Burick » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:55 pm

LOL

Buman
Rookie Member

Postby Buman » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:55 am

Punisher-One wrote:I don't understand why CBSA thinks it always needs to re-invent the wheel with everything. The new RCMP carrier would work perfectly for us with "BORDER OFFICER/AGENT FRONTALLIERS" instead of Police.

If you want a vest that fades to an awesome greyish color after a few washes be my guest.
Poobah Status: Confirmed
I'm a wizard and that looks f****ed up.

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:02 am

Buman wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:I don't understand why CBSA thinks it always needs to re-invent the wheel with everything. The new RCMP carrier would work perfectly for us with "BORDER OFFICER/AGENT FRONTALLIERS" instead of Police.

If you want a vest that fades to an awesome greyish color after a few washes be my guest.

I'll take one of those...
It'll match my issued pants! :smirk:
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:33 pm

I love contributing to the uniform chat on CBSA wiki.

Officers - "We literally all buy our own 5.11 pants. Please get a contract with them so we can have them."

Managers - "Why don't you tell us what you like about them so we can steal the specifications and farm them out to China. They will look like the 5.11s, be of inferiror quality equal to the garbage we issue now, AND you'll all still buy your own pants."

EPIC FAIL.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:41 pm

Buman wrote:

Wash? What is this wash you speak of? I thought the vest was supposed to be the same colour as my lunch.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."