CBSA Vests

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
SPARTAN
Veteran Member

Re: CBSA Vests

Postby SPARTAN » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:17 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:One thing that I don't understand with the uniform program is why they continue to design and manufacture their own uniforms? There are proven products out there with superior materials and workmanship that are recommended by almost anyone....and I don't necessarily mean 511 products. While their pants fit nice...the quality and fit on everything else lacks.

I'm surprised we didn't design and make our own pistols, mags and ammo!

Long time ago I came across a presentation that wanted to setup some arbitrary system in tracking each round of ammunition. Yes, round. Thankfully someone somewhere pointed out the problem with that idea.

In other words, don't tempt them!
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed **** and keep coming back for more. " BMQ MCpl

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:47 am

Borderwatchman wrote:I can't believe I'm going to say this....but the discussion forum between uniform people and officers on Atlas/Intranet is quite informative and nice to see. Officers giving their opinion on what the bomber should/shouldn't have, and uniform personnel acknowledging the input. Damn! CBSA could possibly have something right for a change.

I've been reading and have actually put in my two cents on a couple of things.

CBSA will only get it right if those in the Uniform Program actually listen to our suggestions and do something with this information.
For everything you need to know in life, watch the Lion King and read the Da Vinci Code.

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:42 am

A number of us have been.
After reading a number of the "posting" procedures for procurement, they are right that "brand names" cannot be directly requested.
It would be much simpler for them to however make the process so ridiculously restrictive to the literal construction of the 5.11 pant as to make it the only viable solution.

Why we reinvent the wheel I will never know....
Wake up, gear up, work, go home, eat, sleep, repeat.

bigbadjoe108
Sage Member

Postby bigbadjoe108 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:19 pm

MichaelJCaboose wrote:A number of us have been.
After reading a number of the "posting" procedures for procurement, they are right that "brand names" cannot be directly requested.
It would be much simpler for them to however make the process so ridiculously restrictive to the literal construction of the 5.11 pant as to make it the only viable solution.

Why we reinvent the wheel I will never know....

I think the problem would lie in the "Not made in Canada" area and what happens if 5.11 doesn't want to waste time on a foreign submission to a contract? If they make it too restrictive they may just have to stick with their current supplier as there might not be any submissions! :shock:
VVV

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:26 pm

Well thats entirely possible but by the same token, our last kit was mostly made in Indonesia and our pants in 'Nam.

Might be worth poking 5.11 to make a submission to the CBSA lol

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:23 pm

The amount of F**ks some of those guys give on there is astounding - but a lot of the statements aren't too far off base really.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:04 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:Speaking of the uniform wiki...I was reading one post from a GTEC member saying how he grows a beard, dresses as a vagrant and hides under stairwells... indicating deep undercover work...tearing his pants as he leaps over fences etc. Boy, did I get a big ROFL on that post.

Maybe he didn't realize it's not an anonymous forum!

Intelligence maybe?
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Hoodwinkle wrote:No he is inland (immigration) enforcement. Looked him up on email.

Now, he "could have" left is computer logged in and unattended...and nearest buddy decided to play a joke??

Maybe it was Friday? :ponder:
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:17 pm

Lots of thumbs up for the MOLLE vest like the RCMP on our uniform chat. Not that it will help.

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:02 pm

Lots of very good input on the wiki site. It's refreshing that they are looking for our opinions but the real test will be in the implementation.
Skeptical but remaining hopeful.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:02 pm

Keep poking everyone into the conversation. Thats the only way we can truly have a say. At some point they will look and go "holy shit - they all want the same thing....everywhere...."
We won't get everything we want but there is a now a reality that they are ready to acknowledge the shortcomings and fix it going forward.

john q. public
Seasoned Member

Postby john q. public » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:14 pm

I met some of the uniform program people while I was in Ottawa this past fall. The good news is that some of them were officers very recently so they do understand and appreciate where our comments as suggestions are coming from. The downside is that they are also constrained by those controlling the purse strings .

MichaelJCaboose

Postby MichaelJCaboose » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:09 am

Sounds better than the previous personnel involved in the Uni Program.
Literally proposed a garment last year and built a business case where the A/Manager told me verbatim on the phone "You should be thankful you aren't wearing wool".