Open Cuff cases and Handcuff care

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
SierraSeven
King Poobah

Re: Open Cuff cases and Handcuff care

Postby SierraSeven » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:22 pm

Tango5 wrote:
GPZ wrote:There is no way in hell I can get a radio, OC, taser, pistol, mag pouch, flashlight, baton, and two sets of cuffs on my belt without having something on the back. There just isn't enough real estate. Two open-top cuffs above the hip pocket is about as good as it gets.

Taser? Doesn't the taser go on your thigh?

Every Mountie I've seen with a CEW wears it in a thigh rig. I carry mine on my duty belt.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

GPZ
Grand Poobah

Postby GPZ » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:44 am

SierraSeven wrote:
Tango5 wrote:
GPZ wrote:There is no way in hell I can get a radio, OC, taser, pistol, mag pouch, flashlight, baton, and two sets of cuffs on my belt without having something on the back. There just isn't enough real estate. Two open-top cuffs above the hip pocket is about as good as it gets.

Taser? Doesn't the taser go on your thigh?

Every Mountie I've seen with a CEW wears it in a thigh rig. I carry mine on my duty belt.

I'm municipal and we are not allowed to have thigh rigs, nor are we allowed to use a non-issue tac vest, even though both might be a good solution to various problems with heavy duty rigs and gear placement.

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:51 pm

GPZ wrote:I'm municipal and we are not allowed to have thigh rigs, nor are we allowed to use a non-issue tac vest, even though both might be a good solution to various problems with heavy duty rigs and gear placement.

Strangely, TPS doesn't seem to permit load bearing vests for it's uniformed officers but TTC Transit Enforcement does, yet TPS has way more gear to carry.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:11 pm

Load bearing vests are where it's at. We're restricted as to what we are authorized to carry on our vests, but I feel getting the radio off the belt makes a huge difference and is worth it alone.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:32 pm

CBSA has a few wearing thigh rigs, after jumping through some hoops with doctors. I'm not aware of any wearing load bearing vests but I also don't know of any who have tried to get one approved. The US CBP guys have them but I'm also jealous of them wearing shorts when it's 90 and humid out.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:56 pm

Ziggy Stardust wrote:CBSA has a few wearing thigh rigs, after jumping through some hoops with doctors. I'm not aware of any wearing load bearing vests but I also don't know of any who have tried to get one approved. The US CBP guys have them but I'm also jealous of them wearing shorts when it's 90 and humid out.

I've heard through the grapevine that officers in Atlantic Region are part of a pilot project testing out load bearing vests. Can anyone confirm this?
For everything you need to know in life, watch the Lion King and read the Da Vinci Code.

Criminal Psych
Rookie Member

Postby Criminal Psych » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Von wrote:
GPZ wrote:I'm municipal and we are not allowed to have thigh rigs, nor are we allowed to use a non-issue tac vest, even though both might be a good solution to various problems with heavy duty rigs and gear placement.

Strangely, TPS doesn't seem to permit load bearing vests for it's uniformed officers but TTC Transit Enforcement does, yet TPS has way more gear to carry.

That's in the process of changing. Right now they have the option of buying their own, but in the future they're going to be issued (or so the rumour goes).

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Lol.... I feel sorry for youz who have to carry so much gear.
Over time you can bet $ it'll lead to back problems for many.
Carrying an unbalanced load on your hips for 20+ years is not good for you.... Vests or suspenders are a good alternative.

Meanwhile in Ontario Corrections we're botching about the new mandatory carry of OC and 'cuffs.... and note books...Lol
They want us to carry notebooks... Lol
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:43 pm

Von wrote:Strangely, TPS doesn't seem to permit load bearing vests for it's uniformed officers but TTC Transit Enforcement does, yet TPS has way more gear to carry.

I've seen several TPS constables wearing molle vests with radio and other chest mounted gear.
If memory serves me correctly, their firearm and magazines were still located on duty belt.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:07 am

mack_silent wrote:
Von wrote:Strangely, TPS doesn't seem to permit load bearing vests for it's uniformed officers but TTC Transit Enforcement does, yet TPS has way more gear to carry.

I've seen several TPS constables wearing molle vests with radio and other chest mounted gear.
If memory serves me correctly, their firearm and magazines were still located on duty belt.

I've only ever seen officers is specialized units with them, not front line uniforms.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Jeff Downman
Rookie Member

Postby Jeff Downman » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:27 am

I have interacted with some officers in 51 division who are wearing load bearing vests, not usually MOLLE, but configurations with pouches. I am not sure what vest policy is for TPS, but it seems not many officers have the same vest.

Switching to MOLLE or load bearing vests seems like it would be a wise move as it opens a bit more real estate for officers, and less of a health hazard.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:51 am

Bitterman wrote:Lol.... I feel sorry for youz who have to carry so much gear.
Over time you can bet $ it'll lead to back problems for many.
Carrying an unbalanced load on your hips for 20+ years is not good for you.... Vests or suspenders are a good alternative.

Meanwhile in Ontario Corrections we're botching about the new mandatory carry of OC and 'cuffs.... and note books...Lol
They want us to carry notebooks... Lol

Rat :smirk:

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:37 am

Ttc transit with LBV's

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLpsW-gpZlY

Personally I'd think it would make me top heavy and more prone to falling over in a scuffle
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:21 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:Ttc transit with LBV's

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qLpsW-gpZlY

Personally I'd think it would make me top heavy and more prone to falling over in a scuffle

Every LEO should be wearing an LBV. Saves your hips and lower back. You've got to do some weight training to keep your shoulders from rounding but other than that.....

vwjetta
Rookie Member

Postby vwjetta » Tue Nov 11, 2014 9:30 pm

Every LEO should be wearing an LBV. Saves your hips and lower back. You've got to do some weight training to keep your shoulders from rounding but other than that.....

100% agree with you. I've only been on a short period of time, Im wearing suspenders at the moment and my back continues to give me problem. I've already exhausted some of my benefits to treat my back... cant imagine how next year will be like.

I was talking to a colleague recently about LBV but doesnt seem like our service will be getting them... :evil: