One Item You Wish You Had

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Von
Rookie Member

Re: One Item You Wish You Had

Postby Von » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:15 pm

Are the flashlights issued by TPS and other departments inferior to say, a nice Fenix?
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:25 pm

bainne wrote:Toronto really doesn't issue hatch gloves? That's wild; let's do a search on an individual with needles, knives and substances all with the protection of rubber latex!

That's negligent...

Even cheap ass corrections issue's puncture resistant "search gloves"
I think we're entitled to at least one pair/year.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Bitterman wrote:
bainne wrote:Toronto really doesn't issue hatch gloves? That's wild; let's do a search on an individual with needles, knives and substances all with the protection of rubber latex!

That's negligent...

Even cheap ass corrections issue's puncture resistant "search gloves"
I think we're entitled to at least one pair/year.

Turtleskin search gloves aren't too expensive, I have a pair. I don't know why any dept wouldn't issue them.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. -Edmund Burke

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Von wrote:Are the flashlights issued by TPS and other departments inferior to say, a nice Fenix?

Absolutely.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Von
Rookie Member

Postby Von » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:17 pm

meathead1 wrote:
Von wrote:Are the flashlights issued by TPS and other departments inferior to say, a nice Fenix?

Absolutely.

That surprises me. What does TPS issue? Maglites?

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:38 pm

Not sure what TPS issues, but the OPP issues big 3 D cell flashlights that are from the 70's. They issue decent lights for your gunbelt, but I get better ones.
There was a saying in the military that's applicable to policing as well: Never forget your equipment is made by the lowest bidder.
Good equipment costs good money. A lot of people won't spend their own money on kit that police services should be providing. I'm not a fan of it either, but I won't put my life on the line to prove that point.

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:58 am

meathead1 wrote: I'm not a fan of it either, but I won't put my life on the line to prove that point.

Exactly.

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:59 am

- flashlight , love my Fenix TK15
- leatherman or Ferber

However, found a $50 led flashlight at Lowes of all places, that is similiar to my Fenix in size and a touch brighter
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:34 am

I'm always glad to have Advil/Tylenol and those disposable hot pads in my duty bag. Relatively cheap when compared to a flashlight or knife, but definitely handy.

Depends on the person. While I'd appreciate a knife or quality flashlight as a gift, if it's something I could be staking my life on, I'm a bit particular about selection.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

TR
Sage Member

Postby TR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:58 pm

Actually, I lied. I have a leatherman on my belt. I've never used it, but I remain convinced the day I take it off will be the day I need it.

Shootey71
Rookie Member

Postby Shootey71 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:04 pm

Not sure what TPS issues but Maglite (3 or 4 cell) would be a nice gift.
"half of life is all about making choices, the other half is dealing with those choices"

portcullisguy
Grand Poobah

Postby portcullisguy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:00 pm

When a colleague of mine left CBSA to join TPS, a bunch of us put some money in and got her a gift. It was a current issue hardbound Treemear's Criminal Code.

It wasn't for her to read, it was for her to sit on in the cruiser so she could see above the steering wheel.
portcullisguy
"You work your side of the street, I'll work mine."

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:03 pm

TR wrote:Actually, I lied. I have a leatherman on my belt. I've never used it, but I remain convinced the day I take it off will be the day I need it.

Really?? I use mine at least once a block, if not more. Handy for taking plates off a car.

portcullisguy wrote:When a colleague of mine left CBSA to join TPS, a bunch of us put some money in and got her a gift. It was a current issue hardbound Treemear's Criminal Code.

It wasn't for her to read, it was for her to sit on in the cruiser so she could see above the steering wheel.

I would specifically avoid something like this as a gift. They are updated yearly, meaning your gift would be out of date in one year, and most offices have several sitting around.

TR
Sage Member

Postby TR » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:05 pm

meathead1 wrote:
Really?? I use mine at least once a block, if not more. Handy for taking plates off a car.

I just make the tow truck driver do that.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:59 pm

TR wrote:
meathead1 wrote:

I just make the tow truck driver do that.

I must admit, back in my "For Hire" days... :smirk: ... I use to remove plates for the Officers that were seizing plates, most plates came off fairly easily, others required the "bend up, bend down and repeat" removal action.

On a topic related note... On my new (hopefully arriving in the next couple months) Flatbed, I'd love to get a set of those Go Jacks! 8)
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)