New Flashlights thread

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Pete Broccolo

Re: New Flashlights thread

Postby Pete Broccolo » Tue May 26, 2015 2:30 pm

I saw last week that the Canteen at Depot (ok, kids, I will translate: The Trading Post; happy now?) has a couple of Li-Ion and universal style rechargeable cell chargers, plus a great selection of tactical illumination tools and other accessories for same.

Again, I have enough tools to go hunting bears in my house with my 4 year old grand-son already, but you kids should go ahead and fill your boots.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

Iceking007
Rookie Member

Postby Iceking007 » Tue May 31, 2016 1:49 am

Anyone have feedback on the Fenix TK16 & TK75
I've been looking at them with some interest.
Currently a civilian - EPS hopeful
Application - complete
ACT - 11/6/16 passed
APCAT - 11/6/16 passed
A-PREP - training
BDI - TBD
PDI - TBD
PI/E - TBD
PE&ME - TBD
Background - TBD

~Even the helpful need help~

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:00 pm

Iceking007 wrote:Anyone have feedback on the Fenix TK16 & TK75
I've been looking at them with some interest.

I cant speak to those models specifically, but I use two different Fenix lights at work and cant say enough good things about them. I've got an LD-20 and a PD-35. Both excellent.
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:12 am

PD35 is my primary and TK15 is my backup. Both amazing flashlights.

judoka_ca
Rookie Member

Postby judoka_ca » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:18 pm

JETBbeam also makes very decent and powerful small in size flashlights. I carry fenix tk15 on my belt, but also carry Jetbeam BC10 and PA10(660 lumens). The advantage of Jetbeam PA10 is that instead of rechargeable battery you can just put regular AA battery and still have strong beam. Both of those flashlights will fit in the palm of your hand.
Thanks to Moderator Pete Broccolo''s efforts, I get to keep my post, just not the link I included that I was not supposed to have put here. Boy, I won't make THAT mistake EVER agan!
I bought mine of ebay for under $60
Po.SEP.09
Trp1 April 11-Oct 3rd
Pare 2:59
R.Member
"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway."
E.N

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:35 pm

On my belt:
ASP Tungsten 2 (been using this for 5+ year, super bright and reliable)
-runs on 2 x CR123 battery
-easily lights a football field distance
-solid metal, end cap button with swivel for locked off, push on/off, and hold on/off.
Cost about $80 new. ASP has a newer USB chargeable model for about the same price.

In my pocket:
Streamlight Stinger DS LED rechargeable (solid construction)
-charges in about 2 hours
-decently bright (not quite as bright as the 1/2 sized ASP)
-on/off button is mounted on side near light (end cap buttons are better for faster usage)
-the on/off button doesn't seem durable (multiple broken buttons on our lights, some stick on/off)
-charge capacity is okay, I'd guess 1-2 hours of continuos operation
-charger really needs a green "fully charged" indicator light
I've taken these lights out at shift start and found it running out of juice after a few patrols.
Once the brightness starts dimming, it only gives another 5-10 minutes of useable light, so pack a backup light.
For the cost, $150-200, can't say I'd buy one of these unless ALL the above issues were solved first.

Edit: (almost forgot my new light)
Vest mounted:
Bayco NightStick model 1124
-Has a panel of about 24 LED's on the front (wide and tall flood light)
-Has 1 LED on top (spot light)
-Mounts into MOLLE vest pouch, and can be used for hands free area lighting
-Manufacturer also makes strobe variety with RED/BLUE and other colour strobes
I'll post a review after I have a few months of using it.
Cost was about $25 + $15 for the vest pouch.
UPDATE: This flashlight has proven to be very unreliable due to poor build quality.
The battery compartment is flimsy plastic and metal connections which allow the 4 x AAA batteries to wiggle out of place.
Within 2 months, the batteries have become corroded, the light also intermittently becomes non functional (won't turn on / loses power).
I will be returning this light.

In my patrol bag / coat pocket:
Cheapy $1 dollar store LED light.
-Runs on AAA batteries
-Not very bright or reliable (you get what you pay for)
-end cap button
Rarely use it, but it's lasted 2+ years

Apparently you can also buy rechargeable packs for the double CR123 flashlight that run $25-ish.
I don't go through alot of batteries, but it may be worth the investment for those that do as each CR123 is about $5.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Cramp
Rookie Member

Postby Cramp » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:10 pm

The PD-35 is no good if you are holding it and your hand knocks it from hi to low, or you pull it out on low setting and are trying to get it back on full bright while something is happening (I have one). Just sayin'...it seems kinda gimmicky. Do you really use all 5 brightness settings when you are working?

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:39 am

Ah, my bad.

I have the PD35 Tac version, 1000 lumens.

There's the rear-switch button and the regular button on the side, I never use the button on the side. I believe that is what you're referring to.

Lightly touching the rear button (not pressing it in/"clicking it") activates only the brightest function (1000 lumens), and as soon as your thumb comes off, it turns off. Sort of like a touch screen. This allows for an extremely bright light to come on/off in an instant, without having to cycle through the different settings to turn it off

Doing that same thing, but twice in a row fast, activates the strobe feature.

So the PD35 and the Tac are different (I think). I love the thing, I have used it 100% of the time since I've bought it, never went to my TK15.
Last edited by Mr. Islander on Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cramp
Rookie Member

Postby Cramp » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:42 pm

Sounds like the tac model is a huge improvement over the PD-35. I was thinking of picking up the Pelican 7600, but I'll admit I'm still undecided.

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Cramp wrote:Sounds like the tac model is a huge improvement over the PD-35. I was thinking of picking up the Pelican 7600, but I'll admit I'm still undecided.

Not sure which you wound up going with but for cost reasons and output reasons I went with the PD-35 (Non-tac :( ). So far has served me well, half the price, and doesn't have the fatal flaw the StreamLight I originally bought had (Light stops functioning the moment the tailcap comes the slightest bit loose and is a (safety feature").

I also bought a different model Pelican (StealthLite 2400) specifically for conducting inspections as it's water submersible, easy to use, and seemed like a cheap but durable light for conditions where mud, dirt, and water will continually get on it. So far so good.

I still want a Pelican 7060 eventually and may try out the Fenix PD-35 TAC. For now, what I have works when and how I want it to.
Last edited by Hattie on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

ShadowBrooks
Veteran Member

Postby ShadowBrooks » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:37 pm

XTAR B20 II Pilot CREE XM-L2 U3 - 1100 Lumens

Very nice for what I use it for, comes in a plastic case that you throw away once it arrives. Comes with a rechargeable battery that lasts for an entire week for me before charging, USB/120V charger. Carry pouch that has a 2 1/2inch belt loop and a smaller one with a clasp for a smaller belt. I don't wear a duty belt at work currently but I wear the flashlight pouch in the 2 1/2 inch slot gives it some more movement when getting in/out of the vehicle.

After 2 years the pouch finally started to fall apart just ordered two more off amazon for $20. The flashlight itself costs around $100 and its worth it in my opinion.

I have another flashlight that I used to carry and not sure where it is now, but when working security it always stayed in my coat pocket. 3x AAA batteries that were replaced almost bi-nightly 5 or so hours of usage. Just a cheapy Costco flashlight that did its job. 48 pack of Batteries at the Source cost me around $20 with an "employee" discount and lasted 6 months or so.

Of course our office has a maglite in case someone needs some education... lol
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. Then there are the rest of us that have to pee on the electric fence to find out for ourselves.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:19 pm

ShadowBrooks wrote:XTAR B20 II Pilot CREE XM-L2 U3 - 1100 Lumens

Very nice for what I use it for, comes in a plastic case that you throw away once it arrives. Comes with a rechargeable battery that lasts for an entire week for me before charging, USB/120V charger. Carry pouch that has a 2 1/2inch belt loop and a smaller one with a clasp for a smaller belt. I don't wear a duty belt at work currently but I wear the flashlight pouch in the 2 1/2 inch slot gives it some more movement when getting in/out of the vehicle.

After 2 years the pouch finally started to fall apart just ordered two more off amazon for $20. The flashlight itself costs around $100 and its worth it in my opinion.

I have another flashlight that I used to carry and not sure where it is now, but when working security it always stayed in my coat pocket. 3x AAA batteries that were replaced almost bi-nightly 5 or so hours of usage. Just a cheapy Costco flashlight that did its job. 48 pack of Batteries at the Source cost me around $20 with an "employee" discount and lasted 6 months or so.

Of course our office has a maglite in case someone needs some education... lol

Go with the lumintop td-16.

Same ratings but it has a side button to adjust brightness and the tail is simply an off/on. Much better for duty use
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

BST
Rookie Member

Postby BST » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:59 pm

Or another great light line is the Klarus. They are a really good light with a 5 year warranty. I have sold many to CPS and RCMP. CPS has some out on demo right now and they are very impressed. PM me for prices and a catalog.