Radio earpiece issue

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
housingcop

Radio earpiece issue

Postby housingcop » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:30 am

I use an earpiece attached to my portable radio microphone for my entire 12 hour shift (days & nights). I seem to have an issue with vapour build up in the clear plastic tubing which causes an obstruction and communications to come through at a much lower volume. I have tried several different ways to clear the tubing of vapour build up and the ear piece works better for a while then craps out again.

Any ideas on how to prevent the vapour build up or keep tubing clear??

hacienda216
Rookie Member

Re: Radio earpiece issue

Postby hacienda216 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:00 am

housingcop wrote:I use an earpiece attached to my portable radio microphone for my entire 12 hour shift (days & nights). I seem to have an issue with vapour build up in the clear plastic tubing which causes an obstruction and communications to come through at a much lower volume. I have tried several different ways to clear the tubing of vapour build up and the ear piece works better for a while then craps out again.

Any ideas on how to prevent the vapour build up or keep tubing clear??

Kind of bothers me to wear mine for a whole shift so I take mine out when I'm in car or in the office...usually just leave it hanging off my ear or tuck it down my shirt, then I just stick it back in before I go out on a stop. You might find that only wearing it when you need it keeps it from steaming up. Not sure if you have that option or if you're working somewhere where you would have to wear it 12 hrs straight. Is yours rigged up from inside your shirt or on the outside?

ASGPS Sheriff
Rookie Member

Postby ASGPS Sheriff » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:42 am

I use compressed air can to clear mine out work like a charm.

housingcop

Postby housingcop » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:57 pm

hacienda216;

It used to bother me also when I first started using an ear piece. I solved that problem by buying the molded earpiece and ditched the 'mushroom cap' style that came with the kit...300% better. I use it outside my shirt but tuck the wire portion through the neck of my exterior vest and bring it around to plug into my microphone so the wire isn't as exposed (for grabbing, etc.).
I find it is better using an earpiece because we use a digital radio system and it helps with the 'echo' feedback which is prevalent with digital radio systems. It also helps with officer safety / privacy of information as we are all single officer cars at my agency.

ASGPS Sheriff;

I tried the compressed air before and I got vapour block again after a short while. I bought a can of compressed air and will try it again...

Thanks for your input guys. Stay Safe.

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:05 pm

ASGPS Sheriff wrote:I use compressed air can to clear mine out work like a charm.

I find this is the best option as well. I find that there are stretches that I'll go a couple days before condensation will build up or there are stretches where it will be weeks on end.
For everything you need to know in life, watch the Lion King and read the Da Vinci Code.

hacienda216
Rookie Member

Postby hacienda216 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:47 am

housingcop wrote:hacienda216;

It used to bother me also when I first started using an ear piece. I solved that problem by buying the molded earpiece and ditched the 'mushroom cap' style that came with the kit...300% better. I use it outside my shirt but tuck the wire portion through the neck of my exterior vest and bring it around to plug into my microphone so the wire isn't as exposed (for grabbing, etc.).
I find it is better using an earpiece because we use a digital radio system and it helps with the 'echo' feedback which is prevalent with digital radio systems. It also helps with officer safety / privacy of information as we are all single officer cars at my agency.

ASGPS Sheriff;

I tried the compressed air before and I got vapour block again after a short while. I bought a can of compressed air and will try it again...

Thanks for your input guys. Stay Safe.

Ya, I guess I should add that I use a vented ear mold too so mine is never really sealed up. Lets some air flow and doesn't make you deaf on one side; never liked the straight "ear plug" mushroom versions.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:27 am

I have a custom molded earpiece, I use the pin on my name tag to clear out the ear goo, lol

ASGPS Sheriff
Rookie Member

Postby ASGPS Sheriff » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Loadie thats gross! you should clean your ears before you go to work lol JK.

I too have a molded ear piece, I hate the ear plugs they come with as you lose all hearing from that ear.

Loadie
Grand Poobah

Postby Loadie » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:57 pm

ASGPS Sheriff wrote:Loadie thats gross! you should clean your ears before you go to work lol JK.

I too have a molded ear piece, I hate the ear plugs they come with as you lose all hearing from that ear.

What, I can't hear you, lol

DSJ
Rookie Member

Postby DSJ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Switch to the headphone style earpiece. The earpiece is a bit bulky but it works a thousand times better. Has a black wire cord as opposed to the clear plastic tube.

mmiskiman
Rookie Member

Postby mmiskiman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:17 pm

a thousand times better? for real?

as for the condensation issue, the only time i've had a problem is really cold days, when i jump out of the shower and then toss my earpiece in. i have the non-custom earpiece (not the mushroom one, the ones you can buy in small/medium/large) and i wear it for 12 hours at a time, moving from indoors to outdoors quite often. usually it goes away if i take it out for a few minutes.

DSJ
Rookie Member

Postby DSJ » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:20 pm

For me, the difference was like night and day. With the clear tube/mushroom cap I often had the volume maxed out and it was just barely loud enough. I constantly had to clear out condensation and wouldn't even get one shift out of it before it had to be cleared again. I find the headphone style louder, clearer and no maintenance required.

Jon.
Sage Member

Postby Jon. » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:08 am

I use the red earpiece that doesn't actually stick in my ear or block normal hearing. Something like 13 bucks on 911supply.

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:56 am

Loadie wrote:I have a custom molded earpiece, I use the pin on my name tag to clear out the ear goo, lol

Did you have to pay for that yourself, or is it supplied?
K division.

eagle2000
Seasoned Member

Postby eagle2000 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:44 pm

ASGPS Sheriff wrote:I use compressed air can to clear mine out work like a charm.

Yep, that works well, if you dont have the air just disconnect the piece, take a breath and blow through it, should be a good quick fix, done it a few times myself
"There you go. Giving a fuck when it ain’t your turn to give a fuck.” - Jimmy McNulty