Straight stick baton

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
klink1983
Rookie Member

Straight stick baton

Postby klink1983 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:10 pm

This passed weekend I was organizing stuff in my house after finishing one of many phases of renovations. I came across a box of stuff from my security guard days in Toronto, to include a straight stick baton. I have no use for it, there is no point in me keeping it, and simply tossing it does not sit well with me.

Are there measures in place for such situations at local police detachments? I want to get rid of it lawfully and I am assuming I would be surrendering it at the OPP det in town.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures that Chuck Norris has allowed to live.....

Toonces
King Poobah

Re: Straight stick baton

Postby Toonces » Thu May 10, 2012 6:22 pm

You can walk into your local OPP detachment, and turn it over. You sign a quit claim form which acknowledges you cease any claim rights to it, and they send it off for destruction.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:48 pm

or you take it down to the local river and huck it in.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Fri May 11, 2012 1:37 am

Perhaps return it to the Security company/employer that issued it to you.
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Fri May 11, 2012 11:42 am

meathead1 wrote:or you take it down to the local river and huck it in.

But some idiot might get a hold of it...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Fri May 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Cut it into a half-dozen pieces and throw the pieces in the garbage (provided it's polycarbonate or wood)?

klink1983
Rookie Member

Postby klink1983 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Boxer Dogs wrote:Perhaps return it to the Security company/employer that issued it to you.

They went bankrupt. The owner was in trouble with the government over taxes, lots and lots of taxes. It wasn't serialized anyways, if that makes a difference at all.

I held onto it because I paid for it, and just in case I got on with another security company which offered the same training and certification on that particular item. That never happened, it ended up in a box when I went away to the army and 5 years later I found it when I was reorganizing some things at my house between stages of renovations.

1. Toss it in the river? (Naah, that wouldn't sit well with me)
2. Cut it up? (Plausible)
3. Surrender it to the Police det in town? (Makes sense)

Thanks for the input guys.
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of creatures that Chuck Norris has allowed to live.....

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:35 pm

I'll chime in with this: if you turn it into your local police detachment, someone is (in all liklihood) going to have to come off the road to deal with this. It's not time consuming by any stretch of imagination, but just the same, at least one officer is going to have to come off the road to take care of it. Which leaves one less officer to answer calls or back up their shift mates. They are going to have to fill out a property report, you are going to have to provide info on it, then the officer will have to tag the item, enter it into the computer system, and store it in the property locker/vault, where it will sit until it's sent out for destruction.
It's a complete and total waste of time.
So, speaking as an officer who has wasted countless hours dealing with calls like this, throw it in the fucking river.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Toonces
King Poobah

Postby Toonces » Fri May 11, 2012 11:58 pm

Not in my office, we have 10 people on modified duties. I say give them the fucking work. Thus my suggestion.
I will NOT respond to PMs from those not belonging to the private side.

CBR600F4i
Seasoned Member

Postby CBR600F4i » Sat May 12, 2012 6:10 am

Toonces wrote:Not in my office, we have 10 people on modified duties. I say give them the fucking work. Thus my suggestion.

10% of the people doing 90% of the work? That's pretty common in many outfits today. As for the river, I wouldn't do that - our streams and rivers are full of plenty of crap as it is. Fish populations just don't need more stress than they already have to endure.

It's a baton, not a gun - as previously stated, just cut it up and put it out with the weekly trash.

klink1983
Rookie Member

Postby klink1983 » Sat May 12, 2012 12:14 pm

Toonces wrote:Not in my office, we have 10 people on modified duties. I say give them the fucking work. Thus my suggestion.

I should swing by your office then.lol

Looks like I will be breaking out the circular saw to take care of this. The OPP det where I am looks to be small so I can't imagine they have too many cars on the road. I wouldn't want to add to their workload and manning for something as simple as this.

Thanks for the input.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sat May 12, 2012 4:07 pm

If you are local Ill take it from you and buy you a coffee in return.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

klink1983
Rookie Member

Postby klink1983 » Sat May 12, 2012 5:04 pm

A.T.R. wrote:If you are local Ill take it from you and buy you a coffee in return.

Define local.....

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Mon May 14, 2012 7:31 pm

ATR would be in the Toronto area... it's no secret, he's pretty famous around here... I too have my straight stick from when I was with Intelligarde, bought my own as well since they were out of stock at the time I got my certificate.

How about a Frozen Raspberry Lemonade from Tim's... will you buy me one of those in exchange for my stick? :wave:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Mon May 14, 2012 9:06 pm

Define "Stick"?
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.