Under armour boots

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: Under armour boots

Postby mack_silent » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:05 pm

Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:17 pm

I have NO problem whatsoever with someone getting something for cheaper, even if it means buying outside of Canada. The almighty dollar rules.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

Bruffy
Rookie Member

Postby Bruffy » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:55 pm

mark y wrote:
Bruffy wrote:
TwE@k wrote:So........It is boot time again and I have come across some of Under Armour stuff that looks like it may be good. Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to try any of them on or even better, wear them for duty?

After researching both the Speed Freak and Valsetz, I went with the Speed Freaks. Before my purchase, I tried the camo version on at Dick's in Watertown and found my size. I then purchased them from a supplier from Ebay for $170.00 CDN and shipped via USPS.
A CDN supplier wanted $220.00 for the same thing delivered to the door.

Go into a retailer, try them on, walk out, and buy online? Nice.

Did you at least give the retailer a chance to get close to the ebay price?

Most stores only stock the UA camo version of these boots. Dick's Sporting Goods or Gander Mountain in the U.S. are prime examples of this. The tactical boots can be ordered online and drop shipped to a store of your choice, but; you have to drive back to the U.S. and pick them up. Since I was in the U.S. for the day, I thought I would at least "find my size". Assuming I would find a CDN retailer online that sold UA tactical boots then size wouldn't be an issue. Turns out price was eventually the issue.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:14 pm

I was looking at these online last night. More than a few people were saying in reviews that the goretex version of the boot doesn't do a good job at all of keeping their feet dry. Anyone else have a problem like that? I'd like to pick up a pair of these but don't want to spend the coin on it if they are not waterproof.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:05 pm

meathead1 wrote:I was looking at these online last night. More than a few people were saying in reviews that the goretex version of the boot doesn't do a good job at all of keeping their feet dry. Anyone else have a problem like that? I'd like to pick up a pair of these but don't want to spend the coin on it if they are not waterproof.

A guy I work with got them and said they are super comfortable and feel like running shoes. After every shift that there is rain I see them upside down on a vent, drying out. Not waterproof at all.
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:10 pm

I used to have some gore tex lined hiking shoes, and found that they didn't deal that well with the wet - but I have warm feet in all weather, I think the liner didn't handle the foot sweat that well! In a jacket where the gore tex is the outer membrane it works great, but when it's the lining and there's all sorts of other materials on top of it I don't think it works that well.

toomuch
Rookie Member

Postby toomuch » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:26 pm

I have a pair of Under Armour Breech boots that I've worn for the past year. I haven't had any issues with wet feet. They seem to be a well contructed boot and have held up well. I can see them lasting for quite a while.

Bruffy
Rookie Member

Postby Bruffy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:17 am

TwE@k wrote:
meathead1 wrote:I was looking at these online last night. More than a few people were saying in reviews that the goretex version of the boot doesn't do a good job at all of keeping their feet dry. Anyone else have a problem like that? I'd like to pick up a pair of these but don't want to spend the coin on it if they are not waterproof.

A guy I work with got them and said they are super comfortable and feel like running shoes. After every shift that there is rain I see them upside down on a vent, drying out. Not waterproof at all.

For anyone looking at these super comfortable boots, use a product like Wind River water and stain repellant. I sprayed a pair of Speed Freaks with three coats and they've already stood up to the water test.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

Jacky Boy

Postby Jacky Boy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:18 am

Pulling up an old thread was on my list of to do's for the day ;)

Any recommendations on which model to go with for a precipitation free environment that simply requires a comfortable breathable boot for those long nights in jail?

- CO
There are two kinds of men who never amount to much: those who cannot do what they are told, and those who can do nothing else.

National Warden
Rookie Member

Postby National Warden » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:20 am

I just bought Valsetz from Bass Pro Shop in Toronto. $158 including tax. They do have black and many sizes in stock. Have not worn them much yet but they seem like they will be ok especially with not water involved.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:56 pm

Tactical products on Kipling / North Queen (Etobicoke) used to sell the UA boots. Not sure if they still stock them. The owner is a really nice guy.

I own the UA valsetz - Pros: Comfortable at first (very cushy), Look nice, Good durability.
Cons: The cushy feeling disappeared after a few times wearing them (still comfortable but not "walking on a cloud" comfy anymore), no safety features (toe / sole / shock protection), not waterproof.
If your feet need arch support / or you do lots of walking, these are not the boots for you. I find foot pain if I walk more than 5km in these.

I've owned Original Safety, UA, and a few others brand. Magnums are the way to go.
Currently have Magnum Stealth side zip, safety.
Pros: Great boot / the best I've owned. Super light (weigh about half of my OS boots), composite toe / sole protection, full Omega electrical safety rating, waterproof, sidezip is fast to get in / out of, the boots are very trim and not clunky in size (easy to run / do stairs in), the durability is also high (I polish them regularly and only minor marks on them after 1.5 years of use). I have done a 5km charity run (volunteering as medical staff), and ample shifts of 20-30km of walking with little to no foot pain.
Cons: Expensive ($300)
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

fjacky
Rookie Member

Postby fjacky » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:33 am

mack_silent wrote:Tactical products on Kipling / North Queen (Etobicoke) used to sell the UA boots. Not sure if they still stock them. The owner is a really nice guy.

yes they have them
!!!2008!!!

Toronto C.O
Veteran Member

Postby Toronto C.O » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:11 am

The difference in Canadian pricing VS US Pricing comes down a few things.

1) Differences in Canadian Dollar. Currently the exchange is anywhere from 10%-14%
2) If the item is made outside of Canada US or Mexico you can add between 15%-18% in duties to the cost
3) Cost of customs clearance, taxes and shipping

Thats about a 30% markup

Lets say as a Canadian retailer you buy something from a wholesaler in the US that costs $5.00. It will more than likely retail in the US for $9.99

1) Add 10% exchange. that adds .50
2) Add 15% (keep it simple for math) That adds .75
3) Customs clearance and shipping fees may add a $1.00

The $5.00 item from the US that retails in the US for $9.99 has cost the Canadian retailer $7.25. Add HST to that and your almost another $1. To retail for $9.99 (same as the US) at $9.99 isn't a high enough mark up to pay for employees, retail space, monthly power bills etc.

Ebay and Amazon are hard to compete with as a retailer. US shipping costs are much lower than US costs that also puts Canadian retailers at a disadvantage.

VanSmack wrote:
meathead1 wrote:Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not.

Given that he's a Canadian retailer, I strongly doubt it.

If he does in fact get bent out of shape with the fact that people will buy stuff from US suppliers instead of Canadian retailers then he and the other Canadian retailers should maybe look into ways to get the markup they charge more in line with what it is in the US. I'm not saying it's their fault that prices are higher here, but with the dollar seeming to stay relatively close to par value, it doesn't make nearly as much sense that they continue to charge around 30% more for everything here.