Anyone tailor their uniform shirts?

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Whistler
Veteran Member

Anyone tailor their uniform shirts?

Postby Whistler » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:36 am

I have always tended to be right in the middle for uniform shirt sizing... a 17.5 collar fits my neck comfortably, but the shirt is like a parachute on my body. A 16.5 fits my body perfectly, but if I have to close the neck it is super tight makes my neck look like a squeezed balloon. I've usually gone with the 16.5s since I generally haven't required a tie and just leave the neck open anyway but now I may need one more often. Is it possible to get shirts tapered at the tailor? I hate puffy clothes.

And on a similar note does anyone know where to get a good quality dickie to avoid the tie altogether? Similar to the OPP issued one but without the OPP lettering.

dira necessitas
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Anyone tailor their uniform shirts?

Postby dira necessitas » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:32 am

I get the sleeves taken off. That, black gloves, and aviators is how I roll.
I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but let's take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:08 am

don't quote me, but i'm pretty sure that R Nicholls used to make our dickies.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:13 am

Mark's Work Warehouse has good quality dickies and cheaper than Nicholls.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:27 am

I'm as skinny as a board and tall, so there is no way I'd wear an off-the-rack uniform shirt. I'm a 15.5 neck and 36 sleeve. I have all of my uniform shirts tailored (sleeves shortened and the body taken in). Take your vest with you and wear it while the tailor makes the measurements. I have no blousing or excessive material coming untucked from my trousers and my shits fit nicely. Even with a backup gun on my vest, you'd have to look awfully close to notice the bulge under my shirt pocket.

Blauer makes a nice mock or full turtleneck dickie. I NEVER wear a tie so I make sure that I have a clean dickie or actual mock turtleneck clean and ready to go, especially during the colder months.

I can't believe how so many officers go out into the field looking like a soup sandwich - billowy shirts, huge collars and pants that drag on the ground... :rant:

Big Jim

Postby Big Jim » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:41 pm

I get everything tailored. We wear 5.11 PDU's, I'm an XLT body, 2XL shoulder and need a 3XL for sleeve length and neck. So I get 3XL long sleeve shirts or 2XLT short sleeves and the tailor ends up taking a bunch out of the torso.

I also get creases sewn in my pants and make sure they're hemmed well. I can shave in my patrol boots (at least at the beginning of every block).

I second lndshark's comments on soup sandwiches...
Big Jim
The OODA Loop; Remember it's Observe, Orient, Decide, Act NOT Observe, Overreact, Destroy, Apologize

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:55 pm

Our uni's are so off the rack one sized fits all, it costs way to much now to do tailoring. My tailor across the street says it's too much work as well.

I get all of my winter wear and cold weather gear from MArks. Their stuff is quality kit.

Their mock neck long sleeve is high enough to look like an issued dickie, but looks better and retains it's shape.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:24 pm

Just a quick aside here, what is it with police forces and issuing dickies? Why not go for an actual turtle neck... just makes more sense to me :thumbsup:
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:33 pm

Dickies are cheaper.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:56 am

plus, when it's -1 in the morning and +17 in the afternoon (like this week), it's a lot easier to pull the dickie off instead of having to go back to the office and change.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:23 am

meathead1 wrote:plus, when it's -1 in the morning and +17 in the afternoon (like this week), it's a lot easier to pull the dickie off instead of having to go back to the office and change.

Very good point. I thought it was a pain in the ass running upstairs here to take a layer off. Trying to find time between calls for you guys to get back to detachment and do the same would be next to impossible...
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

wonka1990
Veteran Member

Postby wonka1990 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:16 pm

I know this sounds odd, but walmart fake under armour stuff is what I wear. They have a long sleeve, high neck shirt that works perfectly. Looks like a well formed dickie, with no logo on the neck.
Opinions are my own and are not to reflect any views of my agency.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:40 pm

wonka1990 wrote:I know this sounds odd, but walmart fake under armour stuff is what I wear. They have a long sleeve, high neck shirt that works perfectly. Looks like a well formed dickie, with no logo on the neck.

I went and bought a bunch of this stuff a while ago when it was on sale.

It is good stuff and doesn't hold the smell.

Same with the dry fit style stuff from Old Navy.

That stuff was on clearance and I bought around 10 shirts. Cost me next to nothing.

Name brand doesn't always mean best.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:29 am

I have to admit, our issued under armor - whatever make it is - is pretty darn good.
"One more thing..."

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:39 pm

Columbo wrote:I have to admit, our issued under armor - whatever make it is - is pretty darn good.

You get issued under-layers? Luck bastage...