PSP being sold

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
mark y
Rookie Member

PSP being sold

Postby mark y » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:38 pm

I'm surprised it took this long, as they've been in trouble for a few years now and have been actively selling off their body parts for the better part of 2 years....

Sun Capital, the company who is buying PSP (IF the deal goes through), also currently owns;
- Point Blank
- Paraclete
- Protective Products
- PACA

They are currently the largest armour company in the world because of these acquisitions. It'll be interesting to see if the PSP sale closes, and if so, what's going to happen to the armour industry in Canada and US. I wouldn't be surprised to see them roll all these companies into one big new company.

Should be interesting to watch.

[edited Nov 2016 - removed dead link]
Last edited by mark y on Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Re: PSP being sold

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:22 pm

Well the vacuum will need to be filled, on an otherwise monopoly held industry here in Canada.

Ive never had any complaints with PSP personally.

But I guess there will be that many more offerings from varying parts of the industry.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:24 pm

I still want that 1150 Molle carrier they have, so maybe there will be a clearance........or maybe another vendor (OP?) may step in????
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Aaaand, here we go again...

Canada's only body armour manufacturer has been acquired by the Safariland Group. Safariland typically consolidates its armour brands in manufacturing facilities in Florida, so it'll be interesting to see what happens to PSP.

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/med-eng-holdings-ulc-acquire-pacific-safety-products-inc-021-per-common-share-all-cash-tsx-venture-psp-2174613.htm

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:46 pm

Safariland is huge. They have bought many other LE product companies in the past.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:31 pm

As long as it stops the ammo it's rated for and fits me correctly, who owns it isn't a concern.

Quality and fit are the biggest criteria for me.....
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:35 am

devilwoman wrote:As long as it stops the ammo it's rated for and fits me correctly, who owns it isn't a concern.

Quality and fit are the biggest criteria for me.....

Agreed.....but on a side note....I've never had a bad piece of kit from Safariland. Our holsters are Safariland and that is arguably the best piece of kit CBSA has every purchased or issued.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:05 pm

Now another company ("MKU Limited") is trying to outbid Safariland by 20%.

With note to the quality, PSP meets the NIJ standards but that's it. If you're wearing Level II PSP armour, it's rated to stop 9mm and .40 cal but that's it. Many other armour companies will rate their armour well in excess of that, via what's know as "special threat" declarations. This can include up to .44 mag, .357 sig, and other really nasty rounds. NIJ just doesn't test for those but manufacturers are allowed to self-test and self-declare for any 'special threats' they want to.

So, armour is not all apples-to-apples. There are differences. Plus, waiting 8-12 months for armour is just silly. That's what many of our customers tell us was the norm when they were buying PSP. Sending back for alteration? Wait 4-5 months... if you're lucky.

I'm sure that not everyone's experience with PSP is like that but we hear it regularly. Maybe it's a west coast thing.

PSP's business model is low price, which is fine if that's what they want to do, but they sacrifice threat protection and customer service in order to do that.

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:25 am

I've never had a wait time of 8-12 months for armour. At most, a month, but I had my old armour to wear while waiting for the new one.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."