CBSA Boots?

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Protector24
Rookie Member

Re: CBSA Boots?

Postby Protector24 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:43 pm

Last edited by Protector24 on Sat May 25, 2013 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrsrhinogame
Rookie Member

Postby mrsrhinogame » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:19 pm

I find overall I have a big problem with wearing out the heel of my shoes...running shoes, cross trainers, leather dress shoes, I tend to wear a hole at the heel. I don't know if my heel is smaller and has more room to move and cause friction or what is it. Do you think thicker socks might make it better in work boots?

ksigmark
Rookie Member

Postby ksigmark » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:03 pm

Magnum's tend to have about 6 months to a year of real hard use in them. They're built very light and the consequence is in the durability.
RIP Cpl Mike Starker 6 May 2008

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:19 pm

I found my Magnums to be pretty good for quality...
The interior heal did eventually blow out, but nowhere near as quick as my Terra's did.
The only complaint that I had with my Magnums is that they weren't wide enough and didn't stretch out enough...
I asked a few local suppliers about different widths and was told that there was no width option to choose from.
If I could have gotten them even one size wider, I probably would have stuck with them.
I've only had my converse for about 3 months, so I can't comment on durability, but so far, they are holding up well.

I've yet to try Danner, but I've heard they are very good... I'm just not going to shell out the $300+ for them...
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:27 pm

mrsrhinogame wrote:I find overall I have a big problem with wearing out the heel of my shoes...running shoes, cross trainers, leather dress shoes, I tend to wear a hole at the heel. I don't know if my heel is smaller and has more room to move and cause friction or what is it. Do you think thicker socks might make it better in work boots?

I would not rely on thicker socks to stabilize the foot position in your boots. Get your feet checked out by a chiropodist or orthopedic surgeon. You may benefit from an orthotic insert to support the heel/foot. Accelerated wear in one location is often indicative of improper pressure distribution when walking. Orthotics can correct underlying issues - which may result in a more even wear pattern, and should reduce or reverse foot discomfort long-term. Orthotics usually cost around $500 or so, and even if you don't have medical coverage this is a small price to pay if it turns out you do have structural problems in your feet.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

mrsrhinogame
Rookie Member

Postby mrsrhinogame » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:13 pm

Definitely something I keep meaning to look into, and I do have the coverage for orthotics. I'm not sure that I'll have the time between when I get boots and when I leave for Rigaud (less than a month away) but I'll get that done when I get back for sure.

Infidel
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:38 pm

TMLF wrote:
Infidel wrote:
TMLF wrote:Each boot will have different pros and cons for each person...
Try and few on and get the one you think is best.
S7 is bang on though... Height, weight, and comfort.
The only thing missing is durability, which you won't be able to evaluate until you actually use them...
I'd stay away from Terra and the lower end Magnums...

I'm currently trying out a pair of Converse, believe it or not and I'm really liking them quite a bit!

Converse? I tried to get those and was told they didn't "abide by the boot policy"

???

Why wouldn't they?
Which model you looking at?
hxxp://www.workauthority.ca/products/detail.php?id=1655 :ponder:

They only had the one model and the sales guy said the sole "wasn't squared off enough".
After all is said and done, more is said than done

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:49 pm

Infidel wrote:They only had the one model and the sales guy said the sole "wasn't squared off enough".

What does that mean? I've run into three others at work who have Converse boots, here I was thinking I was the only one. They all love them too.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

danoman
Veteran Member

Postby danoman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:54 pm

There's a bunch of officers here that have the Converse boots, including our two new recruits.

I personally like the Original SWATS. I find them very comfortable and give me lots of support.
For everything you need to know in life, watch the Lion King and read the Da Vinci Code.

Infidel
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:35 pm

NatoBro wrote:
Infidel wrote:They only had the one model and the sales guy said the sole "wasn't squared off enough".

What does that mean? I've run into three others at work who have Converse boots, here I was thinking I was the only one. They all love them too.

I think the translation was "They're too comfortable for your district". I'm due again in a few months and will try again. I got Cofra's which are OK. When I had Magnums they were destroyed after 5 months - zipper ripped out, sole falling off...generally crappy boots for my feet. I wish we could wear Blundstone's, but of course we can't because they are super comfortable and have no laces.
After all is said and done, more is said than done

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Converse boots = JUNK...

I went through 3 pairs in 2 months. Zippers exploded, stitching came undone, and zipper tab broke off...

JUNK!
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:45 pm

MedTech wrote:Converse boots = JUNK...

I went through 3 pairs in 2 months. Zippers exploded, stitching came undone, and zipper tab broke off...

JUNK!

Bad batch? My desert version lasted 2 years. My black ones are doing fine after 7 months, and guys at work that have them have never had any problems. But hey, stuff happens. I am glad we can choose our own boots though instead of issued boots.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:16 pm

NatoBro wrote:Bad batch? My desert version lasted 2 years. My black ones are doing fine after 7 months, and guys at work that have them have never had any problems. But hey, stuff happens. I am glad we can choose our own boots though instead of issued boots.

Maybe... bought from different stores though... unless they all got crappy batch :shock:
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

NaOH
Rookie Member

Postby NaOH » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:34 am

I got just under six months out of my Magnums. Very comfortable out of the box but they fell apart fast.

I'm trying out the 5.11 Shields now. Anybody have good luck with them?

Columbo
Seasoned Member

Postby Columbo » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 pm

I wear 5.11's. Infinitely better than issue boots.
"One more thing..."