CBSA Boots?

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
mrsrhinogame
Rookie Member

Re: CBSA Boots?

Postby mrsrhinogame » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:26 pm

reviving an old thread:

any new advise on which boots are best? There's 26 or so on the list to pick from, I've never worn work boots before so not sure what to narrow it down to. I don't want to try out all 26 pairs, by the end of that I'd be happy to walk out with whatever pair was on my foot at the time. Are there big differences in weight, or height, what is the most important thing to look for?

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:29 am

Height for ankle support, weight, and comfort. Those are my basic criteria in a boot.

Obviously there are other considerations such as insulation for cold weather, quick removal for marine operations, etc.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Each boot will have different pros and cons for each person...
Try and few on and get the one you think is best.
S7 is bang on though... Height, weight, and comfort.
The only thing missing is durability, which you won't be able to evaluate until you actually use them...
I'd stay away from Terra and the lower end Magnums...

I'm currently trying out a pair of Converse, believe it or not and I'm really liking them quite a bit!
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:14 pm

I bought a pair of Haix Airpower R7 boots (not sure if they are an option for you guys), I love them, they are light weight, great in all weather conditions, and super comfortable FOR ME... A friend of mine bought a pair and they are not comfortable for him... So you might need to go ahead and try out different styles to see what works best for you.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

d.english
Rookie Member

Postby d.english » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:37 am

511 shield boot, csa approved carbon toe cap, side zip. great comfort 2 years in service mostly marine use wet alot, down side ice, the rubber in the sole freezes at zero making pavement feel like ice.

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:03 am

As far as what CBSA makes available to us, I'm about to retire a pair of OS boots. I've been pretty happy with them. Light, comfortable, and they've held up quite well. Not great for extreme cold but well ventilated and cool in hot weather.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:33 am

TMLF wrote:Each boot will have different pros and cons for each person...
The only thing missing is durability, which you won't be able to evaluate until you actually use them...

I'm currently trying out a pair of Converse, believe it or not and I'm really liking them quite a bit!

:thumbsup: +1

I had the desert version of the Converse boots when I was over in the Sandbox, and loved them! So I had to go with the normal LE version when I was hired by CSC.
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:45 am

Terras aren't good? Durability problems?
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Infidel
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:23 pm

Converse? I tried to get those and was told they didn't "abide by the boot policy"
After all is said and done, more is said than done

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:46 am

SupahDuck wrote:Terras aren't good? Durability problems?

Yeah, for me it was...
The interior heal is pretty much non-existent in my old boots... :twitch:
-T

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:48 am

Infidel wrote:

Converse? I tried to get those and was told they didn't "abide by the boot policy"

???

Why wouldn't they?
Which model you looking at?
hxxp://www.workauthority.ca/products/detail.php?id=1655 :ponder:
-T

mrsrhinogame
Rookie Member

Postby mrsrhinogame » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:37 am

From people that I know and from responses on here, so far the most popular seems to be converse.
Just waiting for my authorization # to add to the form so I can head out and try them on. Looking at the website, there are some that I wouldn't get just because of height, I can't imagine wearing the higher cut ones all day long.

So now, another question....do socks matter? Sounds stupid, but do they have to be 'work socks' or any type of athletic sock? I assume white is not the colour of choice.

*editted to add the sock question*

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:20 pm

mrsrhinogame wrote:From people that I know and from responses on here, so far the most popular seems to be converse.
Just waiting for my authorization # to add to the form so I can head out and try them on. Looking at the website, there are some that I wouldn't get just because of height, I can't imagine wearing the higher cut ones all day long.

I have found that a higher boot is preferable except in very warm weather. Better overall support of the ankle in an 8" boot than a 6", but then I have some foot/ankle issues. In colder weather, I would definitely go with a higher boot. A properly fitted and adjusted high-cut boot should be just as comfortable as a low-cut boot.
mrsrhinogame wrote:So now, another question....do socks matter? Sounds stupid, but do they have to be 'work socks' or any type of athletic sock? I assume white is not the colour of choice.

Not stupid, socks are an extremely important part of your footwear system. My org. requires black or navy socks, but no other restrictions. You need to wear the appropriate sock for your environment. A heavy woolen work sock is great for cold weather, especially if your feet may get wet (in this case cotton is really not good). That same work sock would be inappropriate for standing on hot pavement all day in 30C weather, where you want something with a wicking material that is not going to hold in too much heat and will breathe. If you want info about sock type and material selection, check out hiking sites.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

mrsrhinogame
Rookie Member

Postby mrsrhinogame » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:55 pm

thank you for the response, I will check out hiking sites.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:20 am

Personal preference but I prefer a tall boot year round. My feet sweat no matter what the boot height is and I prefer the ankle support for running as well as walking uneven ground/woods/stream bed.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.