CBSA Boots?

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
albertanhb
Rookie Member

Re: CBSA Boots?

Postby albertanhb » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:35 am

Morning. I'm not sure of anything out there. I purchased mine at Weis Western wear in Red Deer Alberta. http://www.weiswesternwear.com/ They seem to have very good service and good pricing.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:39 pm

Was reading the Uniform Program wiki page yesterday and saw an interesting post. A uniform clerk out of BC posted that she got notified that side zips are now permitted! I must now find the appropriate section to attach to my new boot form so I get compensated. Finally work will pay for a pair of 5.11s!

elwoodpdowd

Postby elwoodpdowd » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:44 pm

Punisher-One wrote:Was reading the Uniform Program wiki page yesterday and saw an interesting post. A uniform clerk out of BC posted that she got notified that side zips are now permitted! I must now find the appropriate section to attach to my new boot form so I get compensated. Finally work will pay for a pair of 5.11s!

It's been mentioned to us that the two year cycle for the reissuing of boots is being reviewed. No mention as to what the outcome might be.
"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say,
For Their Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:55 pm

elwoodpdowd wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:Was reading the Uniform Program wiki page yesterday and saw an interesting post. A uniform clerk out of BC posted that she got notified that side zips are now permitted! I must now find the appropriate section to attach to my new boot form so I get compensated. Finally work will pay for a pair of 5.11s!

It's been mentioned to us that the two year cycle for the reissuing of boots is being reviewed. No mention as to what the outcome might be.

2 years is unacceptable. I understand that equipment has an "acceptable lifespan" but that lifespan needs to be realistic. I don't want to buy boots every 6 months but I do want to be able to buy boots when mine are worn out and uncomfortable.

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:15 pm

Too bad the 5.11s are now crap. I've had my current pair since July and I've had both boots taken it to be repaired because the leather was ripping along the zipper. At least 2or3 guys I work with have had issues with their 5.11s. Our District stopped ordering them because of constant issues.
It's really to bad, the first pair I bought 5 years ago lasted a year and a half. Now they start falling apart after 6 months.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

ShadowBrooks
Veteran Member

Postby ShadowBrooks » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:05 am

I am wearing SWAT Side Zips and they lasted a year before the zipper on both boots failed a week apart from one another.

We also have a two year policy which sucks, supposed to be allowed to buy winter boots as well so you could be getting 1 pair every year but management is stingy.
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. Then there are the rest of us that have to pee on the electric fence to find out for ourselves.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Safety Guy wrote:

Too bad the 5.11s are now crap. I've had my current pair since July and I've had both boots taken it to be repaired because the leather was ripping along the zipper. At least 2or3 guys I work with have had issues with their 5.11s. Our District stopped ordering them because of constant issues.
It's really to bad, the first pair I bought 5 years ago lasted a year and a half. Now they start falling apart after 6 months.

I still have faith in 5.11!

Danner has 2 CSA side zip models however most reviews I've read say Danner side zips are absolute garbage and fail easily, frequently, and prematurely. I've had a pair of 5.11 ATAC boots for 5 years and had no issues with them.

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:01 pm

I'm confused as to what the big draw is with side-zips boots for duty use. I'd be willing to guess that the failures that people are talking about here aren't during moments of strenuous exertion (for the most part) so why even roll the dice with it when the worst possible time for a failure is when you're dealing with a shit storm? Side-zip boots make zero sense to me for a duty boot for this reason - they don't need to be tactically deployed onto your feet in 4.5 seconds so why not just get a good quality boot with no zippers.

SPARTAN
Veteran Member

Postby SPARTAN » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:45 pm

Bairdo wrote:I'm confused as to what the big draw is with side-zips boots for duty use. I'd be willing to guess that the failures that people are talking about here aren't during moments of strenuous exertion (for the most part) so why even roll the dice with it when the worst possible time for a failure is when you're dealing with a shit storm? Side-zip boots make zero sense to me for a duty boot for this reason - they don't need to be tactically deployed onto your feet in 4.5 seconds sowhy not just get a good quality boot with no zippers.

That's part of the problem as a lot of the boot manufacturers are now only making boots with a side zipper. Before the policy change the options were becoming limited if you wanted to be reimbursed.
"Being in the army is like being a mushroom - kept in the dark, fed **** and keep coming back for more. " BMQ MCpl

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:14 pm

SPARTAN wrote:
Bairdo wrote:I'm confused as to what the big draw is with side-zips boots for duty use. I'd be willing to guess that the failures that people are talking about here aren't during moments of strenuous exertion (for the most part) so why even roll the dice with it when the worst possible time for a failure is when you're dealing with a shit storm? Side-zip boots make zero sense to me for a duty boot for this reason - they don't need to be tactically deployed onto your feet in 4.5 seconds sowhy not just get a good quality boot with no zippers.

That's part of the problem as a lot of the boot manufacturers are now only making boots with a side zipper. Before the policy change the options were becoming limited if you wanted to be reimbursed.

There are very few high quality duty-type boots that are CSA approved and not side zip. Original SWAT last about 6 months and most construction boots are not really meant for LEO use.

ShadowBrooks
Veteran Member

Postby ShadowBrooks » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:37 am

Bairdo wrote:I'm confused as to what the big draw is with side-zips boots for duty use. I'd be willing to guess that the failures that people are talking about here aren't during moments of strenuous exertion (for the most part) so why even roll the dice with it when the worst possible time for a failure is when you're dealing with a shit storm? Side-zip boots make zero sense to me for a duty boot for this reason - they don't need to be tactically deployed onto your feet in 4.5 seconds so why not just get a good quality boot with no zippers.

A catastrophic failure in the zipper on my job is not going to ruin my day. Having the ability to take my boots on and off nice and easily at the end of the day with little effort, and in the event of an injury I'd prefer the ease of removal of the side zips over a traditional boot.
Commercial Transport Enforcement Officer
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. Then there are the rest of us that have to pee on the electric fence to find out for ourselves.

Hattie
Veteran Member
Location: Here. Sometimes over there. Or other times over by that tree...

Postby Hattie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:58 am

ShadowBrooks wrote:
Bairdo wrote:I'm confused as to what the big draw is with side-zips boots for duty use. I'd be willing to guess that the failures that people are talking about here aren't during moments of strenuous exertion (for the most part) so why even roll the dice with it when the worst possible time for a failure is when you're dealing with a shit storm? Side-zip boots make zero sense to me for a duty boot for this reason - they don't need to be tactically deployed onto your feet in 4.5 seconds so why not just get a good quality boot with no zippers.

A catastrophic failure in the zipper on my job is not going to ruin my day. Having the ability to take my boots on and off nice and easily at the end of the day with little effort, and in the event of an injury I'd prefer the ease of removal of the side zips over a traditional boot.

When all else fails, I'd like to be able to rapidly deploy my safety-toed boots from a safe distance from behind the counter...

On a more serious note, anyone who works around water (i.e. water covered by ice) and may either a. attempt to rescue someone trapped in water or b. be required to venture out onto ice may want to consider being able to rapidly remove their footwear and duty belt... Secondary note: Anyone who may be required to be on watercraft should be aware that most lifejackets may not support a full-grown male wearing full-kit. Officers have died due to sinking like a rock and not being able to overcome the weight of their issued equipment. I know CBSA has some water-borne enforcement and I'm sure they are well aware already but you never know. One of my previous employers learned the hard way.
Humour and sarcasm are my default options. Except on Tuesdays.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:46 pm

I decided on the 5.11 ATAC shield. Out of all the options these were most comfortable and I've worn 5.11s for years. The danner boots with zippers get terrible reviews.

bigbadjoe108
Seasoned Member

Postby bigbadjoe108 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:08 am

Punisher-One wrote:I decided on the 5.11 ATAC shield. Out of all the options these were most comfortable and I've worn 5.11s for years. The danner boots with zippers get terrible reviews.

Just goes to show that all opinions are like..... well you know! I love my zippered Danners!!!
VVV

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:01 pm

bigbadjoe108 wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:I decided on the 5.11 ATAC shield. Out of all the options these were most comfortable and I've worn 5.11s for years. The danner boots with zippers get terrible reviews.

Just goes to show that all opinions are like..... well you know! I love my zippered Danners!!!

Yeah I hear ya! I've read on a number of different websites that the zippers fail prematurely. As always your mileage may vary!