CBSA Boots?

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
novega
Rookie Member

CBSA Boots?

Postby novega » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Hey folks,

I'm looking for some advice/assistance regarding suitable boots. I went to Work Authority today and noticed there's quite a bit of selection available. The salesperson showed me a few different styles that were on the stores list of boots approved by CBSA. I think I've narrowed it down to 3 choices, all of which are on their website:

Converse C1874
Terra "Zone 8" CTCP 875575
Original Swat 2252

I also checked section 4 of the Uniform Policy just to make sure that these did indeed meet the criteria. I noticed it says "The boot shall be laced, (zipper not permitted)." I'm 99.9% positive that they're referring to a boot with just zippers and not laced in the front and zipper on the side? Most boots that I saw were laces in the front and zipper on the side. Like I said, I'm pretty sure I know the answer but I just don't wanna screw up.

- I'll be working air mode (not sure if I'm Commercial or Passenger ops yet)
- I tend to get sore feet after standing a long time, specifically my heels, ankles and arches. This is somewhat alleviated by wearing insoles but I may end up getting orthodics in the future.
- I plan on wearing just a wool type work sock

After doing a search on these forums it seems that Swat boots have durability issues, so I'm leaning towards the Terras or Converse.
Based on this can anyone recommend which pair I should go for? Is there maybe a better pair that I'm overlooking?

Thanks

gotchya

Re: CBSA Boots?

Postby gotchya » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:07 pm

I have the:

I like them. Good boots so far, much better than the magnums.

Don't like the converse, they have silver on them and look stupid if you ask me, but apparently they're comfortable.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:07 pm

I bought my own 5.11 boots. Worth the $189 to be much more comfortable than the garbage CBSA issues.
That said the most comfortable issued boots were my "Magnum" boots. I bought a set of the zippers that you lace into the front of them and I was very happy with them. If I ever go back to wearing an issued boot again it will be those.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:56 pm

I'm wearing a non-issued boot as well so I can't help out. Try both on and see what feels better, then go from there. If they turn out to be shit, it'd be worth putting your own money into a pair of boots that will be comfortable and not beat the shit out of your feet.

They had a boot survey going around a few months back now. They haven't made any changes as of yet, likely because the majority of the suggestions revolved around being issued two sets of boots (one for winter, one for summer) and getting more options with respect to our boot allotment. Why can't I spend more money on a set of boots that will last a long time and could be re-soled down the road, rather than buying a whole new pair each year? Time will tell...

Good luck, and watch out for FR. He's the guy playing with his knife behind the secondary counter with that big grin on his face as you walk in.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

novega
Rookie Member

Postby novega » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:02 pm

gotchya wrote:I have the:

I like them. Good boots so far, much better than the magnums.

Don't like the converse, they have silver on them and look stupid if you ask me, but apparently they're comfortable.

I know exactly what you mean! That little silver bit on the heel keeps catching my attention. Its just a metal plate, maybe it can be popped off with a screwdriver or something....hopefully it doesn't go right through the "air pocket".

novega
Rookie Member

Postby novega » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 pm

Yep you guys are right, maybe we shouldn't be getting our boots from a construction store :ponder:

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:30 pm

My winter boots are from Marks Work Wearhouse. I would have preferred to order a nice pair of Danner's off the web, but I couldn't try them on first, and unless our office has a payment agreement with a store, you have to go in person with a clerk (trust us with pistols but not to take a credit card to buy a pair of boots) to get your boots purchased. Submitting the receipt to get reimbursed for the CBSA allotment is apparently impossible...

ANYWAYS, the boots I bought have 4 small yellow horizontal lines on the side of the soles (2 on each side). I just take a sharpie and black them out every so often. Not sure about that metal plate on the converse's though...
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Homer
Rookie Member

Postby Homer » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:29 pm

I have foot problems, and I have been wearing Magnums with custom orthotics and a gel insole. They are wide enough for my feet and feel good to me. I recently got a pair of the Terra CTCP with side zipper for when I need a safety boot (we need non-metallic footwear). I have found them to be one of the better safety boots comfort-wise, but can't comment on durability yet.

As others have said, get something that feels good to you. Also, go get your feet checked ASAP and get orthotics if required (it's worth paying out of your own pocket if necessary). Had I been given that advice many years ago I would not have near the problems I now have.

(edit - spelling)
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:13 am

I wear the desert version of the Converse boot, here in KAF. Has to be one of the best boots I have ever owned. I was thinking about getting the C1874 for work with CSC. But I didn't know about this metal plate at the back. Can't tell from the picture on the Work Authority website. Hmmm.

And without trying to hijack this thread too much, this questions is pointed towards the CSC folks. I have read the CD on dress, and noticed that in the description for boots, it states a lug style sole. The Converse are not a traditional lug style. Is the CoC that particular about that feature?
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

novega
Rookie Member

Postby novega » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:09 pm

"Metal Plate" can be a bit misleading, it's actually a little metal name tag that says Converse....not all the boots had them and after looking at boots again today, I'm almost positive it's just glued on to the side of the sole.

Too bad they didn't have anything in size 11 in stock, so ordering both the Converse and the Terras and I'll decide which I prefer after I try them both on.

Needs_A_Home
Rookie Member

Postby Needs_A_Home » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:49 am

novega wrote:"Metal Plate" can be a bit misleading, it's actually a little metal name tag that says Converse....not all the boots had them and after looking at boots again today, I'm almost positive it's just glued on to the side of the sole.

Too bad they didn't have anything in size 11 in stock, so ordering both the Converse and the Terras and I'll decide which I prefer after I try them both on.

I ended up going with a pair of Terra GRIDs w/ CTCP. Love em so far. I had purchased a pair of the ZONEs but was told by headquarters that they wouldn't pass uniform policy because of the zippers. Wish I had of just chanced it and gone with them anyways. They fit like a glove. I have flat feet so I need something with a lot of comfort and support. The GRIDs are nice too but the ZONEs seemed to hug your foot and calf much better.

novega
Rookie Member

Postby novega » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:19 am

I got my boots yesterday, I wanted the Converse C1874's but they weren't on the list of approved boots so I ended up going with the Terra Zone 8" CTCP.

I spent all day putting a nice shine on them, then put them on and walked around in the house. Of course all the polish cracked and flaked off :banghead:

NatoBro
Veteran Member

Postby NatoBro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:45 am

novega wrote:I got my boots yesterday, I wanted the Converse C1874's but they weren't on the list of approved boots so I ended up going with the Terra Zone 8" CTCP.

I spent all day putting a nice shine on them, then put them on and walked around in the house. Of course all the polish cracked and flaked off :banghead:

What type of polish did you use?
"Dis asswhoop'n aint fake."

Infidel
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 am

novega wrote:I got my boots yesterday, I wanted the Converse C1874's but they weren't on the list of approved boots so I ended up going with the Terra Zone 8" CTCP.

What's boot polish? ;)

As for boots, I've had Terra(bles), Magnums, SWAT's and Cofras. So far, the Cofra's seem to be the most comfortable I've had. No zippers though - they are now banned (for now).
After all is said and done, more is said than done

novega
Rookie Member

Postby novega » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:33 am

NatoBro wrote:What type of polish did you use?

Thin coats of Black Kiwi. It's cracked at the creases, I should have broken them in before I polished them.