Police Uniform Baseball Caps

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Re: Police Uniform Baseball Caps

Postby CourtOfficer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:04 am

The best hat is no hat. But if a hat must be worn, give me a baseball cap. The forage cap is outdated for the current Police uniform. It should be comfortable and tactical. Appearance and "perception" (shudder) shouldn't mean a darn thing.

CO

wonka1990
Veteran Member

Postby wonka1990 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:38 am

CourtOfficer wrote:The best hat is no hat. But if a hat must be worn, give me a baseball cap. The forage cap is outdated for the current Police uniform. It should comfortable and tactical. Appearance and "perception" (shudder) shouldn't mean a darn thing.

CO

+1. I hate forge caps and they are extremly uncomfortable.
Opinions are my own and are not to reflect any views of my agency.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:35 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:The best hat is no hat.

Yes, no hat for sure. But I would never wear a baseball cap on duty. Doesn't even strike me as practical.

Not that my organization would ever allow baseball caps anyway.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Gardenfit
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Gardenfit » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:23 pm

Mongo wrote:

Yes, no hat for sure. But I would never wear a baseball cap on duty. Doesn't even strike me as practical.

The part of the hat that covers your eyes is good for blocking the sun, and if fitted properly it's hard for the wind to blow them off.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:43 pm

CC9769 wrote:
Mongo wrote:

The part of the hat that covers your eyes is good for blocking the sun, and if fitted properly it's hard for the wind to blow them off.

Fair enough. My sunglasses seem to do a good enough job of blocking out the sun, whereas a baseball cap makes me feel like my field of vision is restriced a little.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:27 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:The best hat is no hat. But if a hat must be worn, give me a baseball cap. The forage cap is outdated for the current Police uniform. It should comfortable and tactical. Appearance and "perception" (shudder) shouldn't mean a darn thing.

CO

I have to disagree with you. While I don't necessarily think there needs to be a requirement to wear a hat at all times, there are times when your noodle gets cold! You need some kind of headgear to protect you from the elements when out of doors.

I also disagree with the idea that there's no value in appearance and perception. There's a reason why police wear paramilitary uniforms and an emphasis (in some agencies anyway) is put on being properly turned out. The police uniform has a powerful psychological effect on the people who view it, and in my opinion that effect can be accentuated with the wearing of a forage style cap. The uniform as a whole, including cap, provides a commanding presence that can be a deterrent in itself to would-be PO assaulter and other evildoers, even if those people are totally unaware of the subconscious effect. Studies have been done which bear this out; I can't recall what jurisdiction it was, but Jim Glennon mentioned to us a department that experimented with blazer and tie style uniforms. It did NOT work out.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:10 pm

Forage caps do not keep your head warm, they are also more apt to blow away in the wind and they will restrict field of vision. If it's cold, wear a toque.

"Baseball" style hats should be the only "hat" worn in the field. Forage caps are strictly ceremonial and have no place anywhere else except a parade square.

If anyone believes a forage cap adds to a presence, then they're living in the past. No shitrat is intimidated if there's a forage cap on anymore than if there's sufficient polish on a boot.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:21 am

Longarm9 wrote:

CO

I have to disagree with you. While I don't necessarily think there needs to be a requirement to wear a hat at all times, there are times when your noodle gets cold! You need some kind of headgear to protect you from the elements when out of doors.

I also disagree with the idea that there's no value in appearance and perception. There's a reason why police wear paramilitary uniforms and an emphasis (in some agencies anyway) is put on being properly turned out. The police uniform has a powerful psychological effect on the people who view it, and in my opinion that effect can be accentuated with the wearing of a forage style cap. The uniform as a whole, including cap, provides a commanding presence that can be a deterrent in itself to would-be PO assaulter and other evildoers, even if those people are totally unaware of the subconscious effect. Studies have been done which bear this out; I can't recall what jurisdiction it was, but Jim Glennon mentioned to us a department that experimented with blazer and tie style uniforms. It did NOT work out.

That "legend" has been going around for years. The forage cap is a dress cap and should be worn formally. A formal hat shouldn't be paired up with cotton cargo pants. I don't think that looks "turned out" at all. Meh. To each his own.

CO

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:49 am

Jim Street wrote:Forage caps do not keep your head warm, they are also more apt to blow away in the wind and they will restrict field of vision. If it's cold, wear a toque.

"Baseball" style hats should be the only "hat" worn in the field. Forage caps are strictly ceremonial and have no place anywhere else except a parade square.

If anyone believes a forage cap adds to a presence, then they're living in the past. No shitrat is intimidated if there's a forage cap on anymore than if there's sufficient polish on a boot.

If you have two officers and one looks like an unmade bed while the other looks well turned out, sharp creases, highly shone boots, everything squared away, the shitrat is more likely to be assaulting the dude that looks like a soup sandwich because the thought is, "he's sloppy, I can take him." You can deny it all you want, but studies and a few very sad real life examples have borne this out.

I'm not saying a forage cap is the equivalent of a jedi mind trick that will instantly demoralize and intimidate any dirt bag into surrendering himself without a fight, I'm saying it adds to the overall impression of being in charge and people tend to notice it more. I've read articles in blue line magazine about how to direct traffic, for example, and the very first rule from the author was wear a hat; the reason being it makes people take notice.

As for your complaints about the hat, well, mine fits perfectly, is quite comfy and keeps my head toasty warm and the rain out of my eyes. I guess they issue you crappy hats! Anyways, it's all personal opinion. I just think baseball caps look silly on law enforcement officers.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

KevinH
Grand Poobah

Postby KevinH » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:50 am

I wear both for my current duty. Forge cap if I'm walking, ball cap if I'm on the bike. Not only have I not found any difference in perception by the public because of what I have on my noggin, I find the ball cap much more practical for everyday policing. It allows me to have a wider range of vision, ie. watching the tops of apartment buildings (for bottles or used diapers), office towers, etc., and gives me a tactical advantage, ie. the shitrats don't see us coming from a mile away, whether in alleys or coming around corners, etc.

As far as whether a sloppy officer will get targeted before one that is well turned out, I agree. However, there's nothing saying that you can't look good in a well cared for uniform with a decent ball cap properly fitted.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:40 am

Longarm9 wrote:
Jim Street wrote:Forage caps do not keep your head warm, they are also more apt to blow away in the wind and they will restrict field of vision. If it's cold, wear a toque.

If you have two officers and one looks like an unmade bed while the other looks well turned out, sharp creases, highly shone boots, everything squared away, the shitrat is more likely to be assaulting the dude that looks like a soup sandwich because the thought is, "he's sloppy, I can take him." You can deny it all you want, but studies and a few very sad real life examples have borne this out.

I don't think these "studies" exist. People always talk about them but no one ever seems to give specifics.

CO

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:58 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:
Walmart Greeter wrote:I never liked the adjustable CBSA caps. I designed some fitted caps that were proposed to our management and approved. Now they are worn all over western Canada.

Realllly.

I don't like the adjustable caps either. Doesn't help that until recently they didnt make a hat big enough to fit my big melon.. just recently came out with a large adjustable.

I'm prefer a stretch fit hat, but over that I'd take fitted.

Send me a size 8 please.

Don't forget us over hear on the East Coast, eh b'ye!

We like our hats too.

I never liked the adjustable cap that was issued... Always found it sat to flat on my head or something...
Having said that, I do wear it about 40% of the time or more...

I'd like to hear more about the hats you designed though.

If you have the time, send me a PM about them.
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

gotchya
Rookie Member

Postby gotchya » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:43 am

CourtOfficer wrote:That "legend" has been going around for years. The forage cap is a dress cap and should be worn formally. A formal hat shouldn't be paired up with cotton cargo pants. I don't think that looks "turned out" at all. Meh. To each his own.
CO

I agree. I think the only time one should wear their forge cap is at ceremonies, possible community events, and for those who wear their uniform to work.

I mean, yesterday, I saw a TPS officer wearing a balaclava with a forge cap on top, I though it looked ridiculous, I would of just worn the Yukon hat. But that's my opinion to each their own.

The only other thing, I imagine many females don't envy wearing forge caps because dealing with long hair can be difficult, the famale officers I've seen with forge caps it seems to rest atop the head, and look as though its likely to fall off or blow away.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:07 am

I've been around tons of cops. The ones that work the hardest don't have a shine on their boots and can't even find their forage caps.

I've heard those "studies" and don't buy it. The only one's who look at the "spit-shone perfect creased cop" are the everyday citizens who think that it's great he's "walking the beat". It's optics to the general public, nothing more.

I'm not saying we should look deplorable, but there's n need for impractical equipment.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.