Summer Wear?

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Summer Wear?

Postby devilwoman » Wed May 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Well, I, for one, am glad that our boss and uniform sgt finally signed off on us getting moisture wicking bike patrol shirts....they are $80/per, but damn, are they saweeet! Wear those with a UA and you dry so quickly when you undo your vest...unlike the poly/cottons that refuse to dry.

Crossing my fingers that they come in soon.......
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Sat May 29, 2010 10:27 am

devilwoman wrote:Well, I, for one, am glad that our boss and uniform sgt finally signed off on us getting moisture wicking bike patrol shirts....they are $80/per, but damn, are they saweeet! Wear those with a UA and you dry so quickly when you undo your vest...unlike the poly/cottons that refuse to dry.

Crossing my fingers that they come in soon.......

I have worn the dry fit/UA type shirts for work (bike) before. I don't know how I will ever go back now :( I am back in good ol' Poly now and have not been out on the bike yet this year......coincidence maybe??.... :smirk:
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Sun May 30, 2010 12:26 am

I have been using the cheap underarmour from Walmart, works just as good but only $10 a pop.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun May 30, 2010 9:09 am

I don't know how I will ever go back now :(

What a difference between the two, eh? Even the comfort as far as fit is remarkable....they stretch with you so the collar doesn't pull on you when you're hunched over the handlebars....don't come out of the pants/shorts (prevents constant re-tucking), are more stain resistant and as they (ours anyway) are custom fit to each officer, look so much more professional!

Bogomil
Grand Poobah

Postby Bogomil » Sun May 30, 2010 9:22 am

CourtOfficer wrote:People often throw rocks at me when I say this, but I feel the internal carrier is much cooler than the outer. The outer is a nylon material, the inner is a breathable cotton.

CO

That's what I have been saying for years. The only advantage to the external is that you can easily remove it when at the station. But with the external you will only get one day out of a shirt, as it will be covered with whet salt stains.

I find some people like the external because they feel it looks tactical. Then you have the idiots that flip out the police flap out of the pocket. I guess the rest of the uniform wasn't a hint that your a copper.

But yes, I vote for internal with some form of under armour type of undershirt.
What do I know of man's destiny? I could tell you more about radishes.

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Sun May 30, 2010 1:05 pm

Ok here is a new one along the same lines. I just took out the motorcycle for duty today (wearing the standard poly shirt/cargo pants/external) came back to the office about five min ago and am soaked like i fell in a pool (and I don't sweat alot!!) i figured "I'm out in the wind I will be fine"......how wrong i was. The heat from the engine, the sun beating down, my head melting in a helmet.....any moto Officers have and ideas??

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Sun May 30, 2010 1:09 pm

But with the external you will only get one day out of a shirt, as it will be covered with whet salt stains.

In summer, I never wear my shirts for more than one shift. With having to wear sun screen and sweating even a wee bit, I just don't feel comfortable wearing it a second day.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon May 31, 2010 6:33 pm

I just got my dry-fit uni shirts for bike wear....they are AWESOME!
I'm gonna wear them all the time!

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Mon May 31, 2010 6:36 pm

Force Recon wrote:I just got my dry-fit uni shirts for bike wear....they are AWESOME!

Do yourself a favour and try the Walmart Brand Athletics, I was using Under-Armour but tried the Walmart brand, it was just as good and also wear the boxers to keep the junk a tad cooler.
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Mon May 31, 2010 6:54 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:
Force Recon wrote:I just got my dry-fit uni shirts for bike wear....they are AWESOME!

Do yourself a favour and try the Walmart Brand Athletics, I was using Under-Armour but tried the Walmart brand, it was just as good and also wear the boxers to keep the junk a tad cooler.

WOAH!! they have heat reduction junk fashions?!?!?! I am there :thumbsup: ......And Force....where the hell do you ride at work?? PM/BBM me if you want.

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:33 am

Would have never believed it until I bought a pair.

Banti
Rookie Member

Postby Banti » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:57 am

Has anyone ever tried one of these body cooling vests before? I know it would be a ton of layers (T-shirt/undershirt, cooling vest, body armor, uniform) but it might be worth looking into.

http://www.climatechsafety.com/HeatShieldII.html

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Banti wrote:Has anyone ever tried one of these body cooling vests before? I know it would be a ton of layers (T-shirt/undershirt, cooling vest, body armor, uniform) but it might be worth looking into.

Good idea but that looks pretty bulky to wear under a vest :ponder:

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:47 pm

TwE@k wrote:
Banti wrote:Has anyone ever tried one of these body cooling vests before? I know it would be a ton of layers (T-shirt/undershirt, cooling vest, body armor, uniform) but it might be worth looking into.

Good idea but that looks pretty bulky to wear under a vest :ponder:

Not to mention pretty expensive...
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

Banti
Rookie Member

Postby Banti » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:05 am

I actually thought it looked pretty low profile for a vest with ice in it. Like I said though In the real world its probably to many layers. All I know is when I sweat I SWEAT! Any advantage I can get I'm going to take. Might at least have to take a look at it.