Summer Wear?

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Safety Guy

Summer Wear?

Postby Safety Guy » Tue May 18, 2010 9:23 pm

Any suggestions on summer gear to help keep cool while wearing a vest. I bitch about the cold as much as anyone else but I fair much better in the winter as opposed to summer, I'm usually sweating bullits in april while other people are still wearing sweater!!!
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Re: Summer Wear?

Postby CourtOfficer » Tue May 18, 2010 9:55 pm

People often throw rocks at me when I say this, but I feel the internal carrier is much cooler than the outer. The outer is a nylon material, the inner is a breathable cotton.

CO

gotchya

Postby gotchya » Tue May 18, 2010 10:08 pm

This may seem counter intuitive, but I find putting on Under Armour can help. Although, at the end of the shift, it does smell.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

KL
King Poobah

Postby KL » Wed May 19, 2010 3:32 pm

CO, I think it's all in your head. Cotton internal carrier or nylon external, with either one you have most of your torso covered in kevlar. It's not like that breathes!

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Wed May 19, 2010 4:13 pm

KL wrote:CO, I think it's all in your head. Cotton internal carrier or nylon external, with either one you have most of your torso covered in kevlar. It's not like that breathes!

Theirs may; ours obviously does not. I am too cheap for UA. Even I have converted to external SBA - the internal one kept popping off the clutch fasteners of my LSM undress ribbon.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)

Safety Guy

Postby Safety Guy » Wed May 19, 2010 8:15 pm

I had to wear my inner carrier for a couple of weeks last summer while my outer carrier had the velcro replaced and I did not like it at all. Besides, I often take my vest on and off during the course of a day so the inner is very impractical.
Please remember that the man makes the uniform and not the other way around.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed May 19, 2010 9:58 pm

KL wrote:CO, I think it's all in your head. Cotton internal carrier or nylon external, with either one you have most of your torso covered in kevlar. It's not like that breathes!

Maybe. I feel like I'm wearing my football pads in the outer carrier. I used an inner carrier for three years and never washed it once. Although I am not a "sweater" per se.

CO

copperandblue
Rookie Member

Postby copperandblue » Thu May 20, 2010 2:09 pm

I was at 911 supply the other day, and they had these shirts that were a jersey material with piped down the entire shirt. Basically, it looked like the idea was to keep your inner carrier slightly away from your body to let air down the spaces to keep you cool. Has anyone tried these or heard anything about them?
Break the arm of the wicked and evil man; call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out. Psalm 10:15

blackhawk77
Rookie Member

Postby blackhawk77 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:48 pm

UA compressions work well. I never had a vest on before so I don't know how hot it can get, but wearing a regular uniform shirt with the UA underneath seems to be fine for me in a hot car.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Fri May 21, 2010 9:06 am

I find that the UA compression shirts beneath the vest do tend to make you feel cooler. The reason behind this, I believe, is that the UA compression material is designed to wick moisture away, but because of the vest, it has no where to go. So when there is a nice breeze and you're moving, air gets in there, and it makes you feel all nice and cold. The bad news, you're soaking wet at the end of the shift...
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Sumo_CPO
Seasoned Member

Postby Sumo_CPO » Fri May 21, 2010 9:29 am

gotchya wrote:This may seem counter intuitive, but I find putting on Under Armour can help. Although, at the end of the shift, it does smell.

+1

Best part of my day is taking off the vest at the end of shift.

Then dousing the vest with a crapload of Febreeze. 88)
Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f**k the prom queen.

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Cogito, ergo armatum sum

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Sun May 23, 2010 3:57 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:People often throw rocks at me when I say this, but I feel the internal carrier is much cooler than the outer. The outer is a nylon material, the inner is a breathable cotton.
And the internal is waay more professional looking. The outter, no matter the officer or service looks like shit.

Minimum Wage Warrior
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Minimum Wage Warrior » Sun May 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Moisture wicking is good for the winter when you are doing an activity, sweating, and then standing around afterward. It keeps you warm instead of having your sweaty shirt cool down next to your skin.

In the summer you just seem screwed no matter what. I just buy cheap v-necks at zellers and use those. I'd rather the t-shirt soak up the sweat then my carrier so that the t-shirt can get funky and have to be washed.

Gipper
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Gipper » Tue May 25, 2010 2:27 am

Pete Broccolo wrote:the internal one kept popping off the clutch fasteners of my LSM undress ribbon.

Trying using erasers to secure your ribbons and nametag.

TwE@k
Seasoned Member

Postby TwE@k » Tue May 25, 2010 4:03 pm

I am in the UA camp when it comes to under my uniform. Either way you are never going to be really comfortable in a vest when it is 30 + outside.....crank the A/C and hope for the best :thumbsup:
WADDAYA MEAN I CAN'T TAKE OFF MY SWEADDER??? I'M HAWT!!!! - Drunken Mr.Rogers