Equipment store in Halifax, NS

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
TMLF

Equipment store in Halifax, NS

Postby TMLF » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:45 pm

Hello all,

I'm wondering where the best place to pick up some equipment in Halifax, NS would be?
In particular, I'm going to need to purchase some boots suitable for CBSA standards.

Anyone have any recommendations for either question? :ponder:
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

TMLF

Re: Equipment store in Halifax, NS

Postby TMLF » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Just to follow up with this a little more, I did do some searching and there are two major retailers that I know of in the area...

Viking Police & Security Co., which is located in Dartmouth and Nicholls which is located in Halifax.

I was wondering if there were others around that I might not be aware of.

Nicholls offers the following brands:
Haix
Magnum
(had a pair of these before and I didn't think they were anything special...)

Viking offers the following brands:
BlackHawk
Danner
Oakley
Original SWAT

Thanks,
-T

echo1
Grand Poobah

Postby echo1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Are you new? Make sure your region doesn't pay for your boots. My region pays for boots every year and I know it's the same in NOR.

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:05 pm

You will be issued boots as part of your uniform. As you are in Halifax right now, I'm sure they will get you the boots from the authorized location the staff there use.

If you have a question about it, you should be talking to the Training and Learning staff in Human Resources.
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:50 am

NorthernProtector wrote:You will be issued boots as part of your uniform. As you are in Halifax right now, I'm sure they will get you the boots from the authorized location the staff there use.

If you have a question about it, you should be talking to the Training and Learning staff in Human Resources.

They do provide them, and coincidentally, I just received my voucher today via email today.

I am responsible for choosing them, however, and was looking for some input from some more experienced "Boot connoisseurs"... :bow:

The location that has to be used is listed above; Viking.

echo1 wrote:Are you new? Make sure your region doesn't pay for your boots. My region pays for boots every year and I know it's the same in NOR.

Yup. New. 100%.
-T

NorthernProtector
Seasoned Member

Postby NorthernProtector » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:16 am

Regardless what anyone thinks or suggests means nothing. The boot has to meet the standard in the uniform policy and meet established health and safety standards.
A Veteran = Someone whether active, retired, or reserve who has in his/her past written a cheque made payable to "The People of Canada" for the sum of "Up To & Including My Life".

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:11 pm

Of course I would need to fall within the specifications of the CBSA requirements, but I would assume that more than one manufacturer would make a boot that falls into those specifications.

I was looking for some input on the quality and durability of some persons experiences with the various brands available.

Regardless, I received my voucher the other day and I found that given the two stores I had to had to choose from, there was very limited selection.

Viking had no boots that would fall within the specifications.

The other store that I was able to purchase from had more industrial type of boots.

The other few type of boots they had were very heavy or very expensive, but they fell within the specifications of the CBSA requirements.

I ended up getting some Magnums.

Although I've had some poor experiences with this brand and their cheaper products in the past, I'm hoping that their more expensive products hold up better than the cheaper ones.

:wave:
-T

Infidel
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:13 am

I would suggest you steer clear of Viking when it comes to boots. I've heard nothing but complaints regarding wait times (sometimes 2 months...), a rather "snotty" lady that works there and them not standing by the products (not taking boots back that are defective and telling people they have to deal with the manufacturer themselves).

Atlantic Workwear is ok and Uniform Works is as well - both are located in Burnside and will bill directly.

Most of us here wear SWAT's. Magnums have had some major durability problems in this region.

From what I've heard too, the amount of $$ we can spend has gone down as well, which is really limiting our choices
After all is said and done, more is said than done

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:35 am

Yeah, I've heard that (and seen first hand) that Magnums don't particularly enjoy maritime weather.
I was only given Viking and Atlantic Workwear as options for choosing my footwear.

Swats were not available there.

I'm not sure of what the amout was, but I was granted a little more than half of what the boots cost retail.

After talking with the employees a while, they gave me a 20% discount for the CBSA, then deducted the amount of the voucher, which left me to pay a little over $60.

The last pair of magnums I had were very basic ones; most likely the cheapest model they made.

I'm going to try and keep these Magnums well maintained with ample polish and weatherproofing to try and extend their life.
The good thing is that being seasonal, I'll miss the majority of the winter snowy months, which should make it a little easier on the boots.

Thanks for the input.

:thumbsup:
-T

Infidel
Rookie Member

Postby Infidel » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 pm

TMLF wrote:Swats were not available there.

That's strange - I work with a few people that just got SWAT's from there - maybe they just recently stopped carrying them. No matter what brand you get, you'll likely need new ones after the year anyway.

........and by the way, what's boot polish?? ;) I haven't used that stuff since Rigaud
After all is said and done, more is said than done

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:51 pm

Which reminds me to ask, is it a yearly allowance for boots?
-T

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:35 pm

One yearly allowance for one boot. Unfortunately we don't get both winter and summer boots, however I have started doing this on my own, simply alternating which boot I replace as I get my yearly entitlement. The entitlement is currently $135 in my region.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Sounds like it might go to $190 nationally and that is what my region is giving us presently. (watch them make every two years after they increase it!). I always get boots at Work Wear World here on the westcoast, not sure if thay are a national chain.

ob1canubie
Rookie Member

Postby ob1canubie » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:03 pm

Stay Clear of Viking Police and Security. I am one of many unhappy customers. I am actually going to be filing a complaint regarding them, 2 months and still have not recieved my order.