Walking the beat

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
David Bratzer
Rookie Member

Walking the beat

Postby David Bratzer » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:21 pm

Hi, my department recently formed a dedicated beat team. I've been asked to research something we can use to carry equipment with us. We want to stay on the road as much as possible. We also don't want to constantly ask on the radio for a patrol car to bring us ticket books or other items.

We don't have a lot of stuff but we have more than we can carry in our cargo pockets: ticket books, a water bottle, some snacks, a camera, maybe a spare radio battery, etc. Initially I was thinking about backpacks - one per two man team. But we have some officer safety concerns about getting grabbed.

Any ideas? What other kit do you use while walking the beat?

Thanks,

Dave

Cop23

Re: Walking the beat

Postby Cop23 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:39 pm

Take a cruiser with your stuff in the trunk and park it somewhere. Beat guys don't patrol large zone, they normally walk in the hot spots.

From the 2 big departments I've worked, that's what the beat guys did.

You really want to foot chase a crook and jump fence with your water botle, camera and lunch ?
It's better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:40 pm

It helps if you have real knowledge of police work too.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:48 pm

-
Last edited by No 20 Year Medal on Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Hired Goon
Sage Member

Postby Hired Goon » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:43 am

Holy cow, that's a lot of crap to carry when walking!

In my years on the beat, I just threw a handful of tickets and appearance notices in my pocket and away I went. (Maybe a small bag of snacks.) Anything beyond that, and we were usually heading to a station anyway.
Hired Goon

MB_RCMP
Sage Member

Postby MB_RCMP » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:59 pm

Cop23 wrote:Take a cruiser with your stuff in the trunk and park it somewhere. Beat guys don't patrol large zone, they normally walk in the hot spots.

From the 2 big departments I've worked, that's what the beat guys did.

You really want to foot chase a crook and jump fence with your water botle, camera and lunch ?

Doesn't even have to be a cruiser... could be a 'community policing' vehicle of anysort. Just something nearby to store your stuff.
There's the right way, the wrong way, and the RCMP way - which is usually synonymous with the wrong way, just with more paperwork.

ice512
Rookie Member

Postby ice512 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:51 pm

I dont know if youve been given vest but the ticket book can be stored in the front pocket of the vest along with a couple of pens?
The rest of the things you can hang them on ur tac belt...

Hearmoretalkless
Veteran Member

Postby Hearmoretalkless » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Transit Police carry all that crap all the time. Reach out to them and ask them how they do it.

Oh, and you might want to not mention that you are pro-druggie. Real cops kind of frown on that crap.
Never forget Brian King.

David Bratzer
Rookie Member

Postby David Bratzer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:51 pm

Hearmoretalkless wrote:Oh, and you might want to not mention that you are pro-druggie. Real cops kind of frown on that crap.

Thank you for that brilliant tip.

We ended up going with the Bon Vivant shoulder bag from Mountain Equipment Co-Op... it was $14. It has a belt loop so you can thread it through your duty belt. Another option is to use the shoulder strap as a waist belt, which is what we do because it makes it easy to put on and take off.

It holds a couple of ticket books and some other small items, and you can run full out without worrying about losing anything.

Hearmoretalkless
Veteran Member

Postby Hearmoretalkless » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:02 am

David Bratzer wrote:
Hearmoretalkless wrote:Oh, and you might want to not mention that you are pro-druggie. Real cops kind of frown on that crap.

Just showing you the love you deserve Bratzer.

Bratzer wrote:We ended up going with the Bon Vivant shoulder bag from Mountain Equipment Co-Op... it was $14. It has a belt loop so you can thread it through your duty belt. Another option is to use the shoulder strap as a waist belt, which is what we do because it makes it easy to put on and take off.

You stuck your members with a bag from MEC called Bon Vivant? I wouldn't care if it had seventeen belts or loops, that's just Davie Street.

Bratzer wrote:It holds a couple of ticket books and some other small items, and you can run full out without worrying about losing anything.

Yeah, I'll be VERY surprized if ANY of the cops at VicPD actually wear your little bag. You can stick a couple of ticket books in a leg pocket or even a trauma-plate pocket, yet you get them a bag from MEC?

It's a wonder any of them still talk to you. You sure wouldn't get away with your crap in MY service. Any of it. It must be really lonely for you at VicPD. Real cops don't talk to you... and those that do are mealy-mouthed about it.

I'm out -- you can join SD on the ignore list.
Never forget Brian King.

bips
Rookie Member

Postby bips » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:50 am

Just get a citation holder (small size) for the paperwork...as for the rest of the stuff, park your cruiser in the beat zone...you will need it for transport occasionally anyways. Why would you need to consult an online forum for this? :ponder:
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli." George Costanza

polarbear
King Poobah

Postby polarbear » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:12 am

Here is a picture of the bag he got... http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4441774981

I can tell you that I would not be wearing that thing to work.

Like everyone else said, just park the cruiser in the area that you will be walking. Easy as that. For the rest, I can't see why you can't carry the essentials on you / in your pockets. IF you do really have to much gear to carry for whatever reason, why not try to get the bosses to approve a drop leg dump pouch?
POLICE OFFICER

canadianmp

Postby canadianmp » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:22 am

Please don't tell the military of your idea, they will get rid of our cars and buy us those bags.

"those 7 years of McGyver finally paid off!" ~ Chuck

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:05 pm

David Bratzer wrote:

We ended up going with the Bon Vivant shoulder bag from Mountain Equipment Co-Op... it was $14. It has a belt loop so you can thread it through your duty belt. Another option is to use the shoulder strap as a waist belt, which is what we do because it makes it easy to put on and take off.

It holds a couple of ticket books and some other small items, and you can run full out without worrying about losing anything.

Yeah, because I'd really want a should strap around/near my neck while I'm walking amongst the shitties. Your uniform pants don't have pockets? Mine do. You should look into that ...
:wave:

David Bratzer
Rookie Member

Postby David Bratzer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:32 pm

th wrote:Yeah, because I'd really want a should strap around/near my neck while I'm walking amongst the shitties. Your uniform pants don't have pockets? Mine do. You should look into that ...

We're not wearing it around our neck. We're wearing it either on our duty belt or just above the duty belt by using the shoulder strap as a waist belt (like a fanny pack basically).