A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Tommy
Veteran Member

Re: A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Postby Tommy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:38 pm

What's the word on S&W? how do their knives stack up compared to others in the same price range $50-$70?
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:05 pm

Tommy wrote:What's the word on S&W? how do their knives stack up compared to others in the same price range $50-$70?

To me they are low-quality knives with cool names and quirky useless gimicks on them.

For a little more than $70 you can get a Spyderco Endura which I use regularly at work. Awesome knives at the pricepoint.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:00 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
Tommy wrote:What's the word on S&W? how do their knives stack up compared to others in the same price range $50-$70?

To me they are low-quality knives with cool names and quirky useless gimicks on them.

For a little more than $70 you can get a Spyderco Endura which I use regularly at work. Awesome knives at the pricepoint.

But the magic assist is pretty awesome on the S&W
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:47 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:and quirky useless gimicks on them.

See above LOL!

For around $80 you can get a Kershaw Blur. Better all around knife and it does have assisted opening.

RedcapCrusader
Rookie Member

Postby RedcapCrusader » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:24 pm

Just get a Gerber LMF Infantry II and strap that bad boy to your leg. If you're going to carry a knife, go big or go home :mrgreen:

Personally, I find that 5.11 and SOG offer the best when it comes to folding, assisted opening knives.

SOG Fatcat and SOG Zoom Tanto are beautiful and have served me well for years. Yes, you're paying on average $200 for them but quality doesn't come cheap.

I also utilize a 5.11 XPRT Folder. While the quality is not as good as SOG, the discounts are nice.

melom
Seasoned Member

Postby melom » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:25 pm

RedcapCrusader wrote:
Personally, I find that 5.11 and SOG offer the best when it comes to folding, assisted opening knives.

I would take any ZT over any 5.11 :twisted:

BravoCharlie24
Rookie Member

Postby BravoCharlie24 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:41 am

Loving my new Spyderco Police G-10 I picked up, it's a little big but a beauty.
Also just wondering, anyone on here have any experience with ESEE Knives?
More so the ESEE-4 and ESEE-5?

floss.every.day
Rookie Member

Postby floss.every.day » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:21 am

My personal preference is the Gerber Torch II Tanto. It's durable, has a bit of weight to it and has the open-assist . The knife is a gem! Paid around $70 for it.

I've previously owned the S&W First Responder and the S&W Special Tactical. Overall, I'm not a fan of S&W's quality. I probably won't be buying them again.

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:27 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:
Punisher-One wrote:

Yeah.... Until the damn thing breaks.....

I got the Spec-Ops assist opening, and less than two days after posting the message, the cheap metal broke, and the lever is useless....

Never again..... I'm done with discount knives.... Spyderco and Kershaw and the like from here on in...... Just ordered a Endura 4 Combo-Edge. Looking forward to getting it. :mrgreen:
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

BravoCharlie24
Rookie Member

Postby BravoCharlie24 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:38 pm

VanSmack wrote:
BravoCharlie24 wrote:Loving my new Spyderco Police G-10 I picked up, it's a little big but a beauty.
Also just wondering, anyone on here have any experience with ESEE Knives?
More so the ESEE-4 and ESEE-5?

I have an ESEE-3 that I bought from A.T.R. a couple years ago. It's a solid, dependable survival type knife. Heavy duty blade/handle, solid sheath, good ergonomics. It's carbon steel so you need to put a bit more care into it than a stainless blade in terms of keeping it rust free, but the trade off is that you can put a sharper, more durable edge on it if you're so inclined.

Mine's attached to the MOLLE on my rifle bag, so I'll always have it if I'm out somewhere and my ATV breaks down or I'm otherwise stranded and need something heavy duty beyond whatever EDC or hunting/fishing knife I may have with me. If you're looking for something a little less survival/general purpose and a little more refined I'd sugged Grohmann knives. They're made in Canada and I think they're great quality/value for what you're likely to pay for them.

Not a fan of the Grohmann knives (ugly to me) but I do like the ESEE line. Just cant decide on the 3,4, or 5.
Would like a good, dependable fixed blade for once. I am leaning more towards the 5 as its more than just a knife. How do you like the 3? too small or just perfect?

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:48 pm

SMMFH.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

M&P9
Rookie Member

Postby M&P9 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Just picked up a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 for duty and EDC use.

Really top shelf blade, was split between the Benchmade griptilian, Benchmade 710 McHenry Williams, and Spyderco Manix 2 G10.

Paid $145 out the door, seemed like a good price.