A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Discussion, ideas, and questions in various types of police equipment, clothing and uniforms.
Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Re: A.T.R.'s Duty Knives Thread

Postby Mr. Islander » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:35 pm

meathead1 wrote:FYI- a good serrated blade will saw through a seat belt like butter.

Yeah, for sure. It's more so for my piece of mind and an extra tool I have. Also looks perfect for cutting paracord/50-50 cord.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:00 am

When asked what to get, I still to this day recommend the Spyderco Endura, and will always tell you to get it in combo edge, which is the best of both worlds for duty use.

Based on cost vs. quality this is still hands down the best folder out there. So good in fact you can buy two of them, one for each pocket so that you can reach with either hand depending on scenario like a gun grab.

I also full recommend for a few bucks more, the Spyderco Military which is bigger but great for gloved hands, but also the Emerson line of knives.

My dedicated duty carry on my gun side is a Emerson CQC-8 combo edge. The blade shape and geometry is the absolute best for almost every task that a knife can be called onto to perform.

Spend the money, as I have always said. Why carry cheap shit or over priced shit?

Treat your knives like your firearm. Clean, oil, inspect, tighten, on a regular basis. Get the edge cleaned up.

If you have a habit of using your knife as a pry tool, then buy a piece of crap blade for that specific purpose, or buy a small mini pry-bar style tool.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Bairdo
Grand Poobah

Postby Bairdo » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:30 pm

I've been carrying the Delica 4 in combo edge for a few years and love it.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:48 pm

I agree with ATR. I carry two spiderco knives at work and they just do the job. I beat the shit out of them cutting open any number of things. They've helped me find my fair share of narcotics! I carry them because they are not breaking the bank if I need to replace them.
Off duty I carry Emerson almost exclusively. More money, more knife, and they are just plain cooler. A little prestige to carry off duty where they are less likely to get beat up or get drugs or other random crap all over them.

NatWood

Postby NatWood » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:54 pm

Has anybody fondled the new Emerson/ Kershaw collaborations? They look nice and are priced right.

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:56 pm

Bairdo wrote:I've been carrying the Delica 4 in combo edge for a few years and love it.

I had that one, I gifted it to my platoon sgt when he lost his. But agree, great knife.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

AnthonyK

Postby AnthonyK » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:40 pm

Does anyone know how to get a new SOG Knife clip in Canada? The clip request form through their website only works for USA.
Thanks in advance.

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:48 am

Contact S&R Knives. They carry lots of SOG.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

AnthonyK

Postby AnthonyK » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:47 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Contact S&R Knives. They carry lots of SOG.

Thanks ATR!

BravoCharlie24
Rookie Member

Postby BravoCharlie24 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:05 pm

For EDC/Work I love my Gerber Answer F.A.S.T. 3.25
As for recommendations for boot knife I like the 5.11 Side kick rescue tool.

BravoCharlie24
Rookie Member

Postby BravoCharlie24 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:49 pm

NatWood wrote:Has anybody fondled the new Emerson/ Kershaw collaborations? They look nice and are priced right.

Yes, just bought the Kershaw/Emerson CQC-6K Was on sale for $44. At that price it's a steal. The reviews on YouTube don't do it justice.
The wave feature is great and fun to use. and the finish on the blade is cool. Next buy is the 7K (Tanto blade).

Tinman
Grand Poobah

Postby Tinman » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:44 pm

BravoCharlie24 wrote:
NatWood wrote:Has anybody fondled the new Emerson/ Kershaw collaborations? They look nice and are priced right.

Yes, just bought the Kershaw/Emerson CQC-6K Was on sale for $44. At that price it's a steal. The reviews on YouTube don't do it justice.
The wave feature is great and fun to use. and the finish on the blade is cool. Next buy is the 7K (Tanto blade).

I have an 8K that I carry everyday. Best value out there IMHO.
Say what you mean. Do what you say.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:26 am

Just recently spent about $100 on two knives for EDC purposes, and damn did I get my money's worth.

The first is an awesome little friction folder hand forged in japan called a Higonokami. This blade is gorgeous and insanely sharp. I could probably shave with it easily. The blade is super strong and durable as well. It's old school sexy.

The second is a wicked folder from CRKT called the Fire Spark. Beautiful assisted opener with a two tone design, kind of a brushed aluminum with G10 inlays. Extremely sharp out of the box, almost as sharp as the Higo, which is saying something, awesome weight, beautiful ergos and lines, and ridiculously fast assisted opening. Love both these knives and never set foot outside my house without at least one of them, sometimes both, in my pocket. They're much too nice for duty use though. My old stand by Kershaw Blur Tanto combo edge is still rockin on in that role.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Chuk750

Postby Chuk750 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:53 am

Pocket one is a Strider SMF and pocket two is a Strider PT, can't go wrong with them. If they can't get the job done nothing will. (yeah I'm a Strider fanboy)

Occasionally will carry my CQC10 as it holds a wicked edge and the wave is awesome.
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
Sun-tzu